Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 PM

17 posts, read 50,628 times

Advertisements

Well, its official SC, here we come. My wife has decided for me that I want to buy a house on the NE side (to allow a daily commute toward Sumter) and I think I am good with it.... providing that after a Saturday afternoon bike ride I can come home and find the shade of some trees to read a book under and hang out with the kids. It would be nice to if these same trees shaded my house to keep the A/C $$$$ down. My first question would be - is this easily found in the communities around the VAS area or going towards Elgin? Can't get too far North or my daily commute will be out of my 30 mile allowance. It appears that most of the single-family homes in my price-range ($150k-ish) are in the gated communities, but I worry that they have all been clear-cut to make room. Regardless, with housing prices and the schools, I think we are sold on the area.

How about gyms, rec centers, rock climbing gyms, anything athletic, other than golf, in the immediate area? A short drive perhaps?

Secondly, after the kids go down in the evening, is there a decent sports bar or pub in that part of town? Sunday/Monday night football with the guys is a must, and if I can find a little Irish pub that is a huge plus! Guinness and New Castle are some of the simple pleasures in life.

These are just the important questions -- my wife is still looking into schools and jobs!

Again, thanks ahead -- and please quit adding to the "missing in..." thread

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
If you're interested in mature trees, there are certainly some neighborhoods in the VAS area that would fit the bill. Spring Valley, Wildewood, North Springs and others all have mature trees. The newer subdivisions would not have as many trees.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
There'll be some choices. If you go newer then you'll want to be near the edge of a subdivision for some trees. Most of the communities in the 150's are open and not gated. I don't think you'll have much trouble.

In the NE you have Icee's sports bar, Hooters, and a few other good football viewing locations. There's a rec center too but I don't know much about it. There's also a new YMCA.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM

64 posts, read 209,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by air2mud82 View Post
Well, its official SC, here we come. My wife has decided for me that I want to buy a house on the NE side (to allow a daily commute toward Sumter) and I think I am good with it.... providing that after a Saturday afternoon bike ride I can come home and find the shade of some trees to read a book under and hang out with the kids. It would be nice to if these same trees shaded my house to keep the A/C $$$$ down. My first question would be - is this easily found in the communities around the VAS area or going towards Elgin? Can't get too far North or my daily commute will be out of my 30 mile allowance. It appears that most of the single-family homes in my price-range ($150k-ish) are in the gated communities, but I worry that they have all been clear-cut to make room. Regardless, with housing prices and the schools, I think we are sold on the area.

How about gyms, rec centers, rock climbing gyms, anything athletic, other than golf, in the immediate area? A short drive perhaps?

Secondly, after the kids go down in the evening, is there a decent sports bar or pub in that part of town? Sunday/Monday night football with the guys is a must, and if I can find a little Irish pub that is a huge plus! Guinness and New Castle are some of the simple pleasures in life.

These are just the important questions -- my wife is still looking into schools and jobs!

Again, thanks ahead -- and please quit adding to the "missing in..." thread

Mike
Well, if your going to me working in Sumter I'd say Elgin, Lugoff or Camden especially if your wife will be working in Columbia I assume. I live in the Elgin area myself and if you need pictures or anything let me know...and I will gladly take some for you. There are actually some homes in developments that still have trees ( I can personally relate to the love of having trees for shade as I am originally from up north). I will look at some of the developments around these three towns and see which have trees and are not totally clear cut.

Also the schools here in the three towns listed above are rated very well academically from everything I hear.

As far as gyms, there is an athletic center called The Plex, here in the northeast. There are also many gyms too. There are also some a local park too. Here is the website for the Plex:

Plex Indoor Sports :: Start

I wish you luck on your move!

Tiffany

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM

I missed your request for an Irish Pub. There is one located next to Dunkin' Donuts on Two Notch Road, close to the entrance to Spring Valley Subdivision. I can't remember the name of it. There is also Delaney's in Five Points. My favorite place to watch a game is at Damon's Clubhouse in the Vista. They have 5 big screens (almost theater size) with 5 different games on all the time.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 50,628 times
Default It only gets better....

....rec centers, adult league hockey, good schools, pubs and football. My first military assignment was in Sumter when I was 18, but I was only there 2 quick years. I didn't have the time/income to get out enough and had no idea what I was missing in SC!

Time can't go by quick enough now, although that could be these 100 hour Iraqi days. It will be sad leaving Germany, but it was bound to happen and I think fate might be at work.... not to mention, the Buffalo Bills will be in Jacksonville this year and Charlotte next!

I'll buy the pub beer of choice for anyone that can tell me if Guiness or New Castle can be found on tap at either place Matt mentioned above.

Tiff,
I'll have my wife get with you once we have a better idea of the more exact areas we are looking at. How rural does Elgin feel? I remember Camden quite well, and it is just a bit too quiet for us. We are a late 20's couple with K and 1st grade aged children so we have to have entertainment.

For everyone else looking for SC questions, don't miss the tax info thats linked inside of the SC Tax thread under the General SC forum.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
If Camden was too quiet then avoid Elgin. Focus on NE or SE Columbia.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM

64 posts, read 209,465 times
Quote:
....rec centers, adult league hockey, good schools, pubs and football. My first military assignment was in Sumter when I was 18, but I was only there 2 quick years. I didn't have the time/income to get out enough and had no idea what I was missing in SC!

Time can't go by quick enough now, although that could be these 100 hour Iraqi days. It will be sad leaving Germany, but it was bound to happen and I think fate might be at work.... not to mention, the Buffalo Bills will be in Jacksonville this year and Charlotte next!

I'll buy the pub beer of choice for anyone that can tell me if Guiness or New Castle can be found on tap at either place Matt mentioned above.

Tiff,
I'll have my wife get with you once we have a better idea of the more exact areas we are looking at. How rural does Elgin feel? I remember Camden quite well, and it is just a bit too quiet for us. We are a late 20's couple with K and 1st grade aged children so we have to have entertainment.

For everyone else looking for SC questions, don't miss the tax info thats linked inside of the SC Tax thread under the General SC forum.
Yes, I would have to agree with Brandon. If Camden was too quiet, Elgin will be too. Now I will admit that Elgin is starting to grow, and not too mention that its super close to the northeast. Just having to be close (within 30 miles) to Sumter...options may be limited. My husband and I are in our late 20's and no, theres not a ton to do here in Elgin, but your close to the northeast and other parts of Cola as well. Elgin has a small town feel...well, it is a small town. I enjoy it because its not in the heart of downtown, and I can go out walking at night and feel cozy yet I'm only 7 minutes from Village at Sandhills. If your wife likes to shop, or if you like to go to the movies, the Village at Sandhills is near the Plex place that I mentioned last night. They have pictures and I believe a webcam of it on their site. Here is their website:

VILLAGE at Sandhill

Just let me know if you need anything, and I'll be glad to help!

Tiff

Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Tiff,

I think you would like NE Columbia better than Camden, Elgin or SE Columbia if you don't want it too quiet. As far as beer, I just checked out Delaney's menu online (I'd check out the other place if I could remember the name) and they have Guinness, Beamish and Harp Lager in the Irish category and New Castle, all on draft. The next time I'm out in NE I'll see what the name of that place is.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 AM

37 posts, read 181,708 times
Many, many other places in 5 Points and the Vista have Newcastle and Guinness on tap. Newcastle is my favorite beer! Publick House on Devine St. 2 blocks from 5 Points is the only place in town that can poor a perfect pint of Guinness though. In the Northeast area, I'm not really sure, but I know it's around somewhere - ask the staff at some of the better restaurants in the area.

There's a Gold's out there as well....

You guys also might want to check out some SE Cola. areas too. You can be approx. 10 mins. from downtown with zero traffic problems, and can make the most direct commute to Sumter from there. My neighbor across the street used to commute to Shaw everyday in 45 minutes from Shandon here downtown. If you get out towards LR High School, that area is really developing, and you can get to Sumter in about 30 minutes, and downtown Columbia in about 15 minutes, with little traffic. Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area