Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM

518 posts, read 437,122 times

Advertisements

A huge section of the local population lacks any desire for diversity in their food. That is why wings are offered at just about every non-upscale food venue in this metro area.

Greek Gyro places - Combos with Wings
ALL the chinese places - Combos with Wings
All the Mexican Places - Wings are on the menu
American Restaurants - WINGS
PIZZA places - Wings are on the menu

There isn't a market for good food here in Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:59 AM

746 posts, read 749,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Is there anyone here who has lived in multiple states across the country?

Have you notice how bad the supermarkets here are complained to other cities or regions?

Here when I go to the deli, it is a small section that has a variety of maybe 8 types of specialty breads, two or thee types of salads; maybe there is a hot bar with 3 different sides to match up with the 3 different mains (baked chicken, fried chicken, and maybe a meatloaf or a pot roast. Then in the deli glass there may be 10 varieties of meats and cheeses. The vegetable section is equally sparse with only the basics?

When I was in Wisconsin, there was a store named "Festival Foods," they had about 10 varieties of salad sitting in the deli - always fully stocked. And when I say varieties, I don't mean a coleslaw, a pasta, a red potato salad, a "southern" potato, and 11 other types of potato salad. The cheese varieties number into 20's. Hot meals? Every day they cook enough different full meals that you could shop for a month of dinners and not repeat. Breads sit in cubbies, not only by type, but also by size, you can buy French bread or a sour dough for the family, or one stick by yourself.

When I was in Bellingham WA, there was a store named Haggens where people actually went for lunch or dinner and sat there as if it were a sit-in/take out restaurant. On the hot bar was three or four "Chinese menu items", pre-made sandwiches, individual pizza's, a variety of pasta dishes. Again, you could buy a variety of salads and multiple meat (a selection of 5-10) meals.

When I was in San Francisco, I went into a supermarket and there was the vegetable section. But unlike ours - tucked into the corner of the store, the first five or six rows of the store were all vegetables. Foods from all over the world. Most of which I could not tell you what they were.

Even tiny towns like Wrightstown, WI had deli sections in their "Dick's Family Foods" supermarkets that would blow Columbia away. What's up with that!!!

I realize that Columbia, South Carolina is not "Metropolis", but how about a little more choice in foods.

Does anyone know of a well stocked deli, bakery, and prepared foods section of food here in this southern capital?
I really don't understand what you are looking for. You named family owned stores in small towns and cities, then referenced a market in one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Are you looking for international foods? If so you should check out the Decker Blvd International Corridor. Have you been to Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Whole Foods or the Gourmet Shop? The Kroger Marketplace has a pretty decent variety of prepared food items. DiPrato's and New York Butcher Shoppe have an eclectic selection as well. Publix has even stepped up its game in the prepared foods section.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
A huge section of the local population lacks any desire for diversity in their food. That is why wings are offered at just about every non-upscale food venue in this metro area.

Mexican places serving wings? Perhaps, but certainly not all.

I could rattle of a laundry list of great restaurants in Columbia (none of which serve wings), but I won't waste my time.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 PM

746 posts, read 749,431 times
Quote:

I see from another post that you live in Northeast Columbia, far out in the NE is lacking many options, and many places sell wings. However, in other parts of Columbia, you would be hard pressed to find such restaurants.

I guess it's what you consider non-upscale? If you are talking fast food type places, then yes, many serve wings. If you are talking about normal sit down places, I can think of very few that serve wings, and many that are very excellent restaurants.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:50 PM

518 posts, read 437,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I see from another post that you live in Northeast Columbia, far out in the NE is lacking many options, and many places sell wings. However, in other parts of Columbia, you would be hard pressed to find such restaurants.

I guess it's what you consider non-upscale? If you are talking fast food type places, then yes, many serve wings. If you are talking about normal sit down places, I can think of very few that serve wings, and many that are very excellent restaurants.
The food selections here in the NE are severely lacking. Very frustrating. But I will say, not too far to Decker for Vietnamese and Korean.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:32 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
The one thing I hate twice as much as a wing, is two wings. Boneless is the only way I will even consider such.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:

You're listing cheap, downmarket places; of course the food is downmarket. There are plenty of restaurants with other choices. Your experiences are typical of the suburbs in most places.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:36 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I have always maintained unless I can sit down, order an adult beverage, and have my food served to me it is more a fast food joint than a restaurant.

If I stand at a counter, order, pay upon ordering, and wait for my food to be handed to me across the counter, it is not a restaurant. It is a fast food joint.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I wish Giant Eagle would come south I loved that grocery chain when I lived in Ohio . They are awesome .

Old 11-03-2016, 03:36 AM

38 posts, read 33,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
What's "laking"?
I think the OP meant to say "lacking."

Not trying to be the spelling police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area