Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

You can be on Lake Hartwell in 35-50 minutes from Greenville depending on where you put your boat in. If you live in the Powdersville/Easley area you will be even closer.

Greenville is also close to two of the best clear water lakes in the country, Keowee and Jocassee right at the base of the blue ridge.

Lake Hartwell has 5 marinas and Lake Keowee has at least one general public marina and I think some other ones within some nice neighborhoods on the lake. They have boat storage options.

I don't agree that Columbia is behind Greenville and Charleston.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-21-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Yes subdivisions everywhere. But no lake or beach. Traffic problems.
Plenty of very nice lakes in the upstate and a beautiful mountain background with a very short drive to the mountains. Very nice park system. It's a city and area that is very outdoorsy. We're all entitled to our opinions, but the way people are coming in here they see something. Our real estate prices are skyrocketing. And boy are they adding amenities. Always something to do.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:23 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Plenty of very nice lakes in the upstate and a beautiful mountain background with a very short drive to the mountains. Very nice park system. It's a city and area that is very outdoorsy. We're all entitled to our opinions, but the way people are coming in here they see something. Our real estate prices are skyrocketing. And boy are they adding amenities. Always something to do.
I like Greenville. I have a friend there. Would be glad to live there. It's lovely. But we don't have to drive to the lake, we just walk down to our boat and then go swimming. My daughter lives in Mt Pleasant, go there all the time and love it, but traffic is a nightmare. All three cities have pros and cons. I love Hilton Head too. I could live in any of them, but I like the lake. We went to the Beatles Ballet at the Koger Center in Columbia two weeks ago, and we are going to the Elton John concert in March at the Colonial Life Center. The University is here, the city has a great vibe. Kayakers on the river. The zoo and botanical gardens are here. It's a quick drive to Charleston or Greenville to visit friends (it's in the middle of the state). Lovely airport. Not far to drive to Charlotte. Can't beat Columbia.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Being behind or not behind is mostly a perception thing among same-sized cities in the same state. Saying a city is “catching up” assumes the places it’s supposedly “catching up” with are spinning their wheels. Anyway, here’s an article in which the writer seems to concede that perception-wise, Columbia takes a back seat to Charleston and Greenville, but that at ground level there is now a lot going on there compared to 10 years ago when the writer last visited.

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/b...south-carolina

Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I like Greenville. I have a friend there. Would be glad to live there. It's lovely. But we don't have to drive to the lake, we just walk down to our boat and then go swimming. My daughter lives in Mt Pleasant, go there all the time and love it, but traffic is a nightmare. All three cities have pros and cons. I love Hilton Head too. I could live in any of them, but I like the lake. We went to the Beatles Ballet at the Koger Center in Columbia two weeks ago, and we are going to the Elton John concert in March at the Colonial Life Center. The University is here, the city has a great vibe. Kayakers on the river. The zoo and botanical gardens are here. It's a quick drive to Charleston or Greenville to visit friends (it's in the middle of the state). Lovely airport. Not far to drive to Charlotte. Can't beat Columbia.
Nah. Greenville feels more connected to me. Can't beat the downtown area and proximity to different places. I like the amenities like Topgolf etc. And it feels fairly clean.. I have nothing against Columbia. It just isn't for me. University is okay, but I'm a Tiger fan.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:45 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Columbia does have the upper hand when it comes to its arena being centrally located downtown and the state's largest. It's certainly a reason why Columbia has managed to snag and few concerts that even skipped Charlotte and now it gets to host games from the first two rounds of the men's basketball NCAA Tournament this year.

Now if the convention center could get expanded, that would definitely be a one-two punch.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia does have the upper hand when it comes to its arena being centrally located downtown and the state's largest. It's certainly a reason why Columbia has managed to snag and few concerts that even skipped Charlotte and now it gets to host games from the first two rounds of the men's basketball NCAA Tournament this year.

Now if the convention center could get expanded, that would definitely be a one-two punch.
Ah, the NCAA tournament. It was held at BSW Arena not too long ago and is scheduled to go there again in the coming years. Carolina had a good run that season. So I don't know that it's arena being larger and centrally located is what landed it. It seems to move around.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:22 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Ah, the NCAA tournament. It was held at BSW Arena not too long ago and is scheduled to go there again in the coming years. Carolina had a good run that season. So I don't know that it's arena being larger and centrally located is what landed it. It seems to move around.
It was held there last year. Duke, UNC, and USC all played. Sold out crowds.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Yes subdivisions everywhere. But no lake or beach. Traffic problems.
No lakes? LOL. Ever heard of Hartwell, Keowee, or Jocassee?

Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
No lakes? LOL. Ever heard of Hartwell, Keowee, or Jocassee?
Not necessarily agreeing with Nausikaa, but compared to Columbia’s proximity to Lake Murray; Hartwell, Keowee and Jocassee are a good bit further out from Greenville. I wouldn’t consider it Greenville but that’s where Greenvillians spend their lake time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area