Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What stores will you support in Columbia?
Apple Store 6 28.57%
Cheesecake Factory 9 42.86%
P.F. Changs 5 23.81%
Whole Foods 8 38.10%
Bass Pro Shops 3 14.29%
REI 3 14.29%
A good old Wal-Mart will suit all of my needs 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,212 times

Advertisements

What type of stores should open in Columbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Seems like someone lifted a list straight from the Greenville subforum, LOL.

How about Nordstrom, Maggiano's, McCormick & Schmicks, H&M, Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro, Pottery Barn, etc.? Mix things up a little.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,224 times
me want apple!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,007 times
Whole Foods!!! Most definitely! I love Bass Pro Shop but I don't mind waiting until I'm up in Concord visiting buddies/family to stop and hit the mall. REI, too. Those just aren't something I would visit with the same frequency that I would a Whole Foods.

I wish they'd put one of these up in Sumter, instead of the same old everything else they've already got. It would be nice to give people something to drive to Sumter for, and might help spur some more progressive growth. Maybe a strip mall with Whole Foods, Apple & Books-A-Million/B&N. That would really target a specific demographic, but interest wouldn't be limited to those/us people.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Seems like someone lifted a list straight from the Greenville subforum, LOL.

How about Nordstrom, Maggiano's, McCormick & Schmicks, H&M, Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro, Pottery Barn, etc.? Mix things up a little.

Totally agree! In addition to Whole Foods. And how about a Costco? How come Greenville and Charleston have Whole Foods and Costco, but Columbia doesn't?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM

293 posts, read 826,666 times
Because Columbia has become the 2nd home of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club lol... nah but seriously...Charleston and Greenville [however Anderson and Spartanburg have one of its own] only have 1 Sam's Club and Columbia has 2. The upstate does have 2 Costco's but they both only opened about a year ago [G/ville and S/burg]. From what i understand Columbia should have a Costco soon...they are leaning toward the NE Richland area.

But of course Columbia could probably support these places...they will come when and if they are meant to be here. I'm not missing anything by not having stores that i don't shop at even when i'm in a city they are at.

The only restaurants that i would love to see Columbia with is McCormick and Schmicks and maybe Maggiano's...

But knowing our value ways in Columbia...we'll get a "Cheddars" or "Houlihans" first.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Totally agree! In addition to Whole Foods. And how about a Costco? How come Greenville and Charleston have Whole Foods and Costco, but Columbia doesn't?
Because Columbia has Earth Fare, Rosewood Market and 2 Sam's.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Whole Foods has much competition in Greenville. In addition to Whole Foods, Greenville has Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Garners, and 5 Bloom markets.

Costco has to compete with BJ's and Sam's, both less than half a mile away.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
We also have Fresh Market, 14 Carrot, etc. too. I wouldn't mind a Whole Foods. The Vista Publix is only a few blocks from my office so any place would be hard pressed to draw me away from there.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I can see that, but Sam's is really different from Costco, even if they're from the same parent company. To me, Costco seems to have nicer products and is a bit more up-scale, and Sam's seems more warehousey to me. I would drive to further to get to a Costco, even if there were a Sam's in my area. Maybe that's just me tho'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area