Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,870,957 times

Advertisements

Haven't been to your favorite restaurant or store in a while, and not sure if it is still around? Here is a unique blog that keeps track of area closings.

Columbia Closings

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM

12,933 posts, read 18,787,237 times
All of the places I was familiar with were at hard-to-get-in-and-out-of spots. That's why one of them moved to another place before it had to close too, I'm sure. Nifty little site. They should go all over the state.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,080 times
I didn't know PT's closed. I remember going to that particular one to celebrate a coworker's birthday....that was a very interesting and fun night!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:06 AM

Twelve new stores and restaurants have just opened or are about to open in Five Points, to go along with the eight that have just opened or are about to open in the Vista. Also, a new clothing designer who has made clothes and costumes for many high-profile movies has just opened a store in the Arcade Mall on Main Street.

New businesses flood Columbia’s Five Points | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Old 06-06-2010, 02:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,199,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Twelve new stores and restaurants have just opened or are about to open in Five Points, to go along with the eight that have just opened or are about to open in the Vista. Also, a new clothing designer who has made clothes and costumes for many high-profile movies has just opened a store in the Arcade Mall on Main Street.

New businesses flood Columbia’s Five Points | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News
This is good news. Do you know what the master plans for development are for the Main Street area - and are they a part of these plans for developing Five Points and the Vista area? I find Main Street to be the most beautiful part of the downtown. It seems that it should be a critical part of the re-development.

The area that I am most curious about is from Taylor up to Richland, or so. It seems that on the weekends that area is dead (and also somewhat "sketchy"). Are there plans for more retail in that area? I am also wondering about the two vacant buildings closer to the ABC news building. One of them has a Dunkin Donuts sign on it. Is there going to be a Dunkin Donuts in that location? The other building is close by and it looks like it used to be a diner. Are there any plans of putting another restaurant in that location?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM

The Duncan Donuts place is supposedly going to be a taco restaurant that a woman who said she chose Columbia over Atlanta and Charlotte is going to open. I see movement there from time to time. First Citizens owns the building that used to be Capitol Restaurant. They are holding on to it and want to be a good corporate citizen in their redevelopment of the property.

Main Street actually doesn't need a master plan as far as land use and zoning are concerned. They are already in place. City Center Partnership urges people to look at the progress and to patronize what's there, and to stay involved and informed about what's coming. The street scape is the most beautiful I have seen in a central business district, and it's not even mature yet.

Mast General Store is expected to draw new stores who want to be near them. Facade restorations are on the radar screen, and continued Main Street redevelopment was a central theme in all of the mayoral candidates' campaigns, including the mayor-elect's.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
This is good news. Do you know what the master plans for development are for the Main Street area - and are they a part of these plans for developing Five Points and the Vista area? I find Main Street to be the most beautiful part of the downtown. It seems that it should be a critical part of the re-development.

The area that I am most curious about is from Taylor up to Richland, or so. It seems that on the weekends that area is dead (and also somewhat "sketchy"). Are there plans for more retail in that area? I am also wondering about the two vacant buildings closer to the ABC news building. One of them has a Dunkin Donuts sign on it. Is there going to be a Dunkin Donuts in that location? The other building is close by and it looks like it used to be a diner. Are there any plans of putting another restaurant in that location?
The block you are referring to has a Mast General Store under renovation as the last poster mentioned and the Nickelodeon Theater will be moving into the building next door once their renovations have been done.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM

An art supply store is relocating from Rosewood Drive (which is a very active and well utilized retail corridor by the way) to Main Street to be close to Mast General Store and the Nickelodeon Theatre. I also read a couple of weeks ago that F-Stop, Columbia's only home-based camera and photography store, is moving next year from Harden to Main to bring their energy to the central business district. They have photography classes and sponsor a good-sized photography club.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 06-12-2010, 11:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
BuyBuy Baby is opening in the old Circuit City on Harbision: BuyBuy Baby opening on Harbison Boulevard in Columbia | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Stores that sell Gamecock merchandise are booming in the capital city. There's no need for a link to that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area