Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times

Advertisements

When we hired a sales trainee at my place fifteen years ago we went to the Business School at USC and got resumes from twenty graduating seniors and interviewed them all at a round table type meeting where they were asked questions by the people they would be working with elbow-to-elbow.

One young man had in his resume that he had been chosen by the Young Republican's Club to drive Strom Thurmond in the Fourth of July parade in his city. The owner was a yellowdog Democrat with a capital "D".

Oops. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Another emphasized his work history by creating a title which meant, essentially, that he had spent his summers picking up trash on a golf course.

A couple were worse than that, like the one who wanted to be a salesperson but absolutely HATED math, and I hope you avoid tactical errors like that. Be neutral and don't BS.

Out of twenty graduates, we had twenty young men and women who were bright and articulate, but had no experience. Out of twenty graduates, we had twenty young men and women who wanted to manage a business, and had credentials that said they had been educated in how to do so.

Out of twenty graduates, we had twenty young men and women who weren't smart enough after their time in Business School to come in and say simply, "I want to learn this business and become indispensible to it". They had had enough education, I guess. Having to start from scratch and learn a business would have been a step backward for them.

Managing is what they wanted to do, and By Gosh, NOW! But they didn't know how a business operated, any business. You have to know where the controls are before they let you drive.

We finally picked one, who lasted four months before he decided sales was not his cup of tea.

SO - What can you do? Have you ever worked anywhere that you may have picked up knowledge of something? Have you ever worked in sales?If so, use what you know, and remember, you may have to take something temporarily to build a genuine work history. Sell yourself first, and wherever you go, make them say "Golly, I'm glad I met that person" when you leave. Also remember, if you are employed you are a lot more attractive as a potential employee for someone else. If someone else wants you, it must mean you have something on the ball.

When you do find a position, show up dressed for it, on time (better yet, early), eager, smiling, and ready to play. If you need to run a cash register, do it. If you need to dig a ditch, do it. If the floor needs sweeping, do it. If you don't have anything to do, find someone and ask them how they do what they do and get them to let you do it. If you show any enthusiasm at all you will be in the minority wherever you end up and your manager will kill to keep you.

Good luck with your hunting. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by cuebald; 01-06-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Forgot to ask -

You said you have been working as a waiter for nine months.

How much have you learned about the restaurant business and customer service? It's a field that keeps a lot of people busy, and a really good waiter can make really good money if he can learn to anticipate the needs of his clients and fill them without being asked.

I personally have been known to tip more than generously if the service is good, occasionally 25-30% for an outstanding performance, and I am not rich. There are others like me out there, too. I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area