Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:11 PM

463 posts, read 519,747 times

Advertisements

Even though this sucks, I am very happy this was not the 11,000 number that was originally discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:53 PM

124 posts, read 206,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun112 View Post
Even though this sucks, I am very happy this was not the 11,000 number that was originally discussed.
your right im glad it's not 11,000 as planned because that could have had made things much worse. I still don't understand why fort benning is having the most cut's compared too the other army bases in georgia.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusgametro View Post
your right im glad it's not 11,000 as planned because that could have had made things much worse. I still don't understand why fort benning is having the most cut's compared too the other army bases in georgia.
Fort Benning is the home of the infantry. We are no longer fighting battles with large organized militaries so the need for infantry soldiers is shrinking.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM

124 posts, read 206,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Fort Benning is the home of the infantry. We are no longer fighting battles with large organized militaries so the need for infantry soldiers is shrinking.
Who say's it won't be needed again for the future. We don't know what could happen in the future as far as war's go. So what are you saying the infantry is now becoming the thing of the past. In any forgiven minute somebody could want too start war again don't know what hold's in the future.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusgametro View Post
Who say's it won't be needed again for the future. We don't know what could happen in the future as far as war's go. So what are you saying the infantry is now becoming the thing of the past. In any forgiven minute somebody could want too start war again don't know what hold's in the future.
We already have forces dedicated to that. It really doesn't take long to raise an army. If and when that day comes we'll be ok.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM

38 posts, read 49,154 times
Columbus will be bruised by the cuts but not broken. Now Ft.Benning,I hope they figure out a plan for the future. Columbus could easily start being more dependent on its own with the recent inner city growth.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 PM

59 posts, read 71,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of-Lakebottom View Post
Columbus will be bruised by the cuts but not broken. Now Ft.Benning,I hope they figure out a plan for the future. Columbus could easily start being more dependent on its own with the recent inner city growth.
I agree, although Columbus won't be able to become dependent on itself overnight, because it didn't get into depending overnight, but every step forward into become more independent is good. It's also interesting to note that Fort Benning was actually the hardest hit base by number of troops being cut, at 3,450, along with the estimated 2,000 people leaving with them,the loss of 974 jobs off post, not including the civilian job loss, which has not been released yet. It's expected to leave a $229 million gash in the local economy with lost annual income amounting to $198 million, so yes we will be bruised, not broken. I'm just hoping those civilian job numbers aren't too high.
Army cuts at Fort Benning to have deep impact | Business | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Old 07-10-2015, 09:49 AM

515 posts, read 631,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of-Lakebottom View Post
Columbus will be bruised by the cuts but not broken.
Yep, Columbus has lost troops before and has gained before as well, so I think that it would know what to do. As a military dependent city, it would be used to population swings at times, rather it be a temporary big increase or a decrease back to more normal levels. I would assume that the city looks as the sharp troop increases and what not as temporary things anyways, who thought they would be there forever? It would be different if for example Columbus built it's economy around something technology based and all of a sudden the tech companies announce that they are moving 50% of their operations to Nebraska. In that scenario, those jobs were built off of a sustainable industry and you would expect those jobs to stay there and increase,not have large fluctuations, while with military training jobs, I would never expect all of them to last, because they only increase when there is a demand for them, and they always go back down afterwards. If it were like the scenario I created, that would be time for a city to really worry, and that would lead to some major issues. Since that's not the case and Columbus has depended on a military base that does a lot of training, where people know numbers can and do occasionally rise, but go back down, I don't think it has as much to worry about. I'm not saying it's a small deal, but should be expected. Maybe this will somewhat force the city to not be so dependent on Fort Benning, which will be a good thing.

Last edited by cnd33; 07-10-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM

463 posts, read 519,747 times
Nice post. I agree.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:04 PM

178 posts, read 209,725 times
Columbus has been on the losing end for a couple of decades at least economically and never learned the age old saying that you prepare for war in times of peace.
Just ignore it and it will eventually go away is the motto.
City officials are more interested in their personal agendas like pay and retirement along with massive egos.
Quick to take credit for coincidental gains and ignorant to the rest.
Nothing really new here for the long term citizens who knew Benning would never come back from income losses after Vietnam ended but local leaders just sit on their hands for the most part.
Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA