Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM

463 posts, read 519,287 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you're happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 PM

178 posts, read 209,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun112 View Post
I'm glad you're happy.
Sometimes reality is a hard thing to understand and accept.
Hard to be on the losing end but thats life as they say.
Columbus has just had little to no real leadership in making the city a winning hand for local taxpaying citizens but rather just more feel good talk while they filled their pockets with self interests etc.
You and I both know it too.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM

20 posts, read 19,780 times
I lived in Columbus, GA a few years ago, and I don't know how much has changed, but from what I saw, the nicer areas were built for the military. Like most military families, we judged everything based on highway exits. Anything below exit 8 was sketchy. All the development on exit 8 and 10 was done for the military.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
Yep, Columbus has lost troops before and has gained before as well, so I think that it would know what to do. As a military dependent city, it would be used to population swings at times, rather it be a temporary big increase or a decrease back to more normal levels. I would assume that the city looks as the sharp troop increases and what not as temporary things anyways, who thought they would be there forever? It would be different if for example Columbus built it's economy around something technology based and all of a sudden the tech companies announce that they are moving 50% of their operations to Nebraska. In that scenario, those jobs were built off of a sustainable industry and you would expect those jobs to stay there and increase,not have large fluctuations, while with military training jobs, I would never expect all of them to last, because they only increase when there is a demand for them, and they always go back down afterwards. If it were like the scenario I created, that would be time for a city to really worry, and that would lead to some major issues. Since that's not the case and Columbus has depended on a military base that does a lot of training, where people know numbers can and do occasionally rise, but go back down, I don't think it has as much to worry about. I'm not saying it's a small deal, but should be expected. Maybe this will somewhat force the city to not be so dependent on Fort Benning, which will be a good thing.
Why would you want another city in Georgia to fail? Our 2nd tier cities already lag behind neighboring states (TN and SC) and this statement is pretty pathetic. There's some truth to it, but come on it doesn't take rocket science to see that this is pure hate.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM

515 posts, read 631,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Why would you want another city in Georgia to fail? Our 2nd tier cities already lag behind neighboring states (TN and SC) and this statement is pretty pathetic. There's some truth to it, but come on it doesn't take rocket science to see that this is pure hate.
Yawn. Just stating facts, like them or not. Unless I said out of my mouth in quotes that I wanted it to fail, then I didn't say it. What I did say was that Columbus has lost before, so it is used to swings in population, so it is better prepared than a city that hasnt. I also said that while the cuts arent good, they could push city to depend less on the military. Thats all truth. Another truth is that I like the city of Columbus, but I can also see its flaws, which some former member had trouble seeing. I appreciate you trying to read my emotions, but you actually dont know me. Thanks anyways though. It doesnt talk a rocket scientist to see that your comment was out of pure ignorance. The fact that you would even be trying to twist the meaning of my post in pretty pathetic.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Quote:
Exactly. Agree completely.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM

515 posts, read 631,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Exactly. Agree completely.
Duh.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 AM

178 posts, read 209,640 times
Quote:
Failures have and always will be in the hands of local leaders and they unfortunately have had many more of those than success.
Why not ask them why they are determined to lead the city towards failure.
We only have 3 months reserve to keep city running and Benning is dropping out very very soon leaving a trail of lost wages and local taxes paid.
I guess another burger joint is more important than keeping the city solvent.
Their only recourse is to try and "thaw" local property taxes and gouge newcomers to the city.
Welcome to Columbus young and old.....just don't forget to bring your wallet!!.....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA