Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times

Advertisements

Mayor Skip Henderson showed what his priorities will be in his first year at the helm of the city Friday when he addressed the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce

In his first State of the City speech, Henderson said he was going to push for a 1-percent sales tax next year. That is when the current tax earmarked for the Muscogee County School District expires.

More than $175 million over five years could be at stake.

The mayor says the city wants the sales tax revenue for roads, maintenance of existing facilities and a solution to the problem that is the Columbus Government Center.

“We are going to have to deal with the Government Center," Henderson said. "I don’t know what that’s going to look like. I really don’t. But we just put a $6 million Band-Aid on that building. Something is going to have to happen to that building. All I can tell you is it’s probably going to be a big-ticket item.”

That has led Henderson to push for the sale tax.

“To meet these immediate capital needs, I intend to ask our council to consider a SPLOST that is to take effect when the current E-SPLOST expires in 2020," Henderson said. "If they agree, we will immediately begin to schedule public meetings to gather information and what projects the citizens want on that list.”

School Superintendent David Lewis was in the audience and he knew what Henderson was going to propose based on a previous conversation.

Afterward, Lewis said the school board had not made an official decision to renew the sales tax. But he pointed out the school district has long-term needs, but it wants to continue to work with in partnership with the city.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news...PXSgnYB3DaJLwY

The NEVER ending 1 percent sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 04:32 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
Columbus has a Mayor???

Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Columbus has a Mayor???
Is that sarcasm or confusion?

Old 03-16-2019, 01:07 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Is that sarcasm or confusion?
Both. He is ineffective and absent from his leadership position. I have never lived in a town where there is so little news from the government center. The city of Columbus has ALOT of issues, and I don't hear any plan to change things since he's been elected.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Both. He is ineffective and absent from his leadership position. I have never lived in a town where there is so little news from the government center. The city of Columbus has ALOT of issues, and I don't hear any plan to change things since he's been elected.
I agree with you. Skip is being a mayor by experience.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:00 PM

297 posts, read 260,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I agree with you. Skip is being a mayor by experience.
Not to defend him nor criticize just yet; but how long has he officially been in office?

Old 03-16-2019, 03:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Not to defend him nor criticize just yet; but how long has he officially been in office?
Two months. He hasn’t had time to do anything. He will end up being way better than Tomlinson. Give him time. His recent speech was encouraging. Columbus is moving in the right direction.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:39 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Two months. He hasn’t had time to do anything. He will end up being way better than Tomlinson. Give him time. His recent speech was encouraging. Columbus is moving in the right direction.
I agree. The man needs time to learn the inner workings of being a mayor, and to learn who the good and bad (deadwood) employees are. Although I also think there is too little information coming out of the mayor's office, we should give him time....and the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I have a bigger problem with our Chamber of Commerce and airport management. Both seem to be very satisfied with the status quo. Needing additional taxes can't be helped. People require services, and the Civic Center needs major repairs, or replacement.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
He's just in his third month as mayor. However,we can't forget that he was apart of city council for 20 years! The guy is tomlinson 2.0 with experience.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:10 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Yeah he's not exactly learning the ins and outs of the city government. He's been part of it for 20 years.

He's been about as vocal as Tomlinson was, I'm not really sure what an adequate amount of news coming from the mayor's office would look like. The government center is unfolding at about the pace any project would of this scale, it's a large and meaningful undertaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: