Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:03 PM

150 posts, read 395,624 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Columbus, Ga. metro area for most of my life and I recently began looking back into its past and I am shocked at how much the area has changed and will change with BRAC bringing some 30,000 individuals to the area. We have a bonified downtown with new retail and business development happening around every corner and Columbus now has a bonified Midtown area along the Macon Road corridor. Here are some websites I found that list specifically what is happening in the Columbus area as far economic development goes. Great info.

http://http://www.midtowncolumbusga.org/ (broken link)

http://http://www.columbusga.com/uptowncolumbus/ (broken link)

http://http://www.columbusga.com/ (broken link)

New Developments to come:
http://http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/563276.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,245,222 times
columbus should think about spending a few dollars to get a decent looking website. their city website looks like those we used to make in middle school technology class.

compare to. . .

Atlanta
Augusta
Savannah
Macon
Valdosta
Albany

From the newspaper link. .
Quote:
BRAC. The military’s Base Realignment and Closure process that’s expected to bring 30,000 newcomers here in the next few years gives hope for a gradual boost in the local housing market and sales tax revenues.
I wonder what the actual likelihood of that happening is? Valdosta was in the running with two other cities to get some type of new training base that would bring 20k more soldiers in, but the gov't has decided to cut back on spending for such things, and the whole idea was scrapped. And now Obama is planning to cut back the military; I'm just curious if these proposals will actually come to fruition.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM

2,859 posts, read 4,627,149 times
Interesting information about Columbus!

Are you guys seeing the affects of this down in Columbus?

Georgia Trend

Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM

201 posts, read 541,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Interesting information about Columbus!

Are you guys seeing the affects of this down in Columbus?

Georgia Trend
Humphreys hasn't made a correct forecast in years and most of my fellow associates wonder how he even got the position to begin with.
God knows look at the date on the report!
I think you would get better responses from a local fortune teller and a lot cheaper too.
At our Xmas chamber luncheon the word is that Obama is going to scale back on military realignments including Fort Benning which will probably be better for Columbus in the long run.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM

201 posts, read 541,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
columbus should think about spending a few dollars to get a decent looking website. their city website looks like those we used to make in middle school technology class.

compare to. . .

Atlanta
Augusta
Savannah
Macon
Valdosta
Albany

From the newspaper link. .

I wonder what the actual likelihood of that happening is? Valdosta was in the running with two other cities to get some type of new training base that would bring 20k more soldiers in, but the gov't has decided to cut back on spending for such things, and the whole idea was scrapped. And now Obama is planning to cut back the military; I'm just curious if these proposals will actually come to fruition.
I doubt it seriously as Columbus is in no shape to take on a nearly 30-40 percent increase in population at the drop of a hat.
From what I gather from meetings with city councilors they are not so happy with the fact that the feds are not kicking in bonus bucks to the city but in reality dumping the expense on the city.
Fort Benning is getting revenge I guess for all the years the city fed off of them.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 AM

80 posts, read 266,984 times
It is simply bull that BRAC will add 27,000 to Columbus region population. News outlets never have the time to get a complete story and he who offers the highest projection usually gets quoted. . I have been participating in the region impact umbrella organization's housing subcommittee since Day 1. Over 5 years. Ask knowledgable members of the Chamber staff of either Columbus or Phenix City. I estimate the NET direct impact from BRAC will be closer to 20,000 persons than 30,000. Remember that its lots more reliable to get figures from sources other than the mass media. And verify. And keep in mind that Chambers of C like the higher figuers. There are several thousand BRAC contractor jobs that NO ONE has been able to put a handle on. For the "official" projections go to the Greater Columbus (remember GEORGIA, not Ohio!) Chamber website and click on the Benning logo. be sure to update your info at least say, every 6 months. Dont do like some homebuilders who checked the tentative BRAC timetable way back in 05, said they were informed that "the troops are coming" and then never bothered to update, overbuilt single family, and then screamed that it was someone elses fault. As is sometimes quoted on some types of sources, "THESE figures are for PLANNING purposes ONLY, not for OPERATIONS or Implementation. nuff said.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM

74 posts, read 202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Ohh. Good point. It's had an upgrade recently. So it's a little better. But it should be much better for an area trying to attract techy jobs.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 AM

913 posts, read 2,987,972 times
70 new jobs are coming with Lance Foods expansion here in Columbus. Good news in a troubled economy.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:59 PM

98 posts, read 230,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
70 new jobs are coming with Lance Foods expansion here in Columbus. Good news in a troubled economy.
Even though they will only be temps I guess better than nothing at all.
Lance is not know for hiring many full time/benefits jobs except upper management.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 AM

913 posts, read 2,987,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam552311 View Post
Even though they will only be temps I guess better than nothing at all.
Lance is not know for hiring many full time/benefits jobs except upper management.
I didn't read anywhere that these are temp positions. They are full-time positions. Don't think Lance would spend $10.5 million for just temporary positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA