Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times

Advertisements

. . . for the first time in a long time. Its not the hellhole some on here make it out to be. I thought it was actually a nice place.

The downtown looked to have a lot of renovating going on. There were a couple of 19th century buildings that weren't being touched at the moment that could really use a face lift.

But there were plenty of people about; walking, biking, etc. . .

The riverfront would be nicer if the alabama side was as manicured as the columbus side; but its still nice!

And the sports facilities around the convention center were top-notch. The baseball stadium looked great, i saw a skate park, and a very nice softball complex.

Sure there were some dilapidated areas just outside of downtown, but its not different from Atlanta; in fact it wasn't nearly as bad as atlanta.

I saw lots of other construction going on around town, including major highway work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,858,147 times
I find it rather funny this ongoing feud between Columbus and Macon posters. I mean both places are VERY similar... much more similar than different. Same for Augusta. So I mean if you think Columbus is horrible, then I suppose you would have to feel similarly about Macon and Augusta. All three are decent mid sized cities.. each have similar problems and strengths.. suburban sprawl, struggling downtowns, etc.
I've never thought of any of them as being hell holes.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM

98 posts, read 229,926 times
I think a visit is much different than working and living in a community these days.
It would be hard to imagine Columbus being worse than Atlanta by sheer size alone.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam552311 View Post
I think a visit is much different than working and living in a community these days.
It would be hard to imagine Columbus being worse than Atlanta by sheer size alone.
If you are not a big city person then I suppose you would not like living in Atlanta... but others like big cities.. it's all a matter of personal preference.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM

98 posts, read 229,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
If you are not a big city person then I suppose you would not like living in Atlanta... but others like big cities.. it's all a matter of personal preference.
Atlanta is fine.
My response was to OP.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM

74 posts, read 202,143 times
I haven't been a very good city-data citizen lately, so I must have missed something... there's folks from Macon complaining about Columbus? What's the deal?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Its been an ongoing feud. LONG ongoing. Arguments about what each city has or doesn't have and how some are over/under exaggerating growth, progressiveness, potential, population, etc, etc, etc.... The list goes on forever. I myself tried to say something to help each person realize that its not about just one city, its about the state. If one city is doing well, that is good news for the state. Bottom line, we ALL need to work together for the sake of Georgia. Not just Macon, not just Columbus & not just Augusta. We're all Georgians. Working together will benefit us all.

Those people just don't seem to realize this... either that or they just love starting arguments.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Its been an ongoing feud. LONG ongoing. Arguments about what each city has or doesn't have and how some are over/under exaggerating growth, progressiveness, potential, population, etc, etc, etc.... The list goes on forever. I myself tried to say something to help each person realize that its not about just one city, its about the state. If one city is doing well, that is good news for the state. Bottom line, we ALL need to work together for the sake of Georgia. Not just Macon, not just Columbus & not just Augusta. We're all Georgians. Working together will benefit us all.

Those people just don't seem to realize this... either that or they just love starting arguments.
I thought the Augusta forum had the most argumentative and petty posters, but boy this Macon/Columbus feud is ridiculous. And why? I don't get it. What is the big difference? How is one head and shoulders above the other? They are both more similar than different.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
. . . for the first time in a long time. Its not the hellhole some on here make it out to be. I thought it was actually a nice place.

The downtown looked to have a lot of renovating going on. There were a couple of 19th century buildings that weren't being touched at the moment that could really use a face lift.

But there were plenty of people about; walking, biking, etc. . .

The riverfront would be nicer if the alabama side was as manicured as the columbus side; but its still nice!

And the sports facilities around the convention center were top-notch. The baseball stadium looked great, i saw a skate park, and a very nice softball complex.

Sure there were some dilapidated areas just outside of downtown, but its not different from Atlanta; in fact it wasn't nearly as bad as atlanta.

I saw lots of other construction going on around town, including major highway work.
Yeah downtown Columbus used to be a dump. I didn't even know they had the skate park built. Nice. I actually wouldn't mind checking out the infantry museum when I'm down there again.

Now see I actually like the Alabama side of the riverwalk because of the nice shady trees and it seems like you can get a little closer to the water. So I'm going to say that I actually like the Alabama side better. It's easier to enjoy the AL side in the summer than the GA side where yes technically there are trees but they don't really provide shade when you're going for a walk though.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM

117 posts, read 507,471 times
I grew up in suburban Columbus GA, and it is not a bad area at all despite what some people say. Columbus is the economic hub of the West, Southwest GA and East Alabama region, people come from almost an hour and a half away to do their shopping and business in the city. The Columbus - Phenix City - Auburn - Opelika area has a thriving economy with new businesses and and development, and even more to come with the major BRAC expansion of Fort Benning. Columbus is working on developing its downtown and uptown areas, after the majority of the development focus was in North Columbus. There has been a on going fued of division between poor and heavily black South Columbus and the rich and white North Columbus. However that is nothing new, most cities are dividied into poor and richer areas, especially in the South. The city of Columbus is working to resolve these issues and are making big progress, South parts of Columbs too are expected to benifit from BRAC expansion, and could lead to major revitilization of the area. There has been talk about expanding the riverwalk development to include resturants and other places, and such re-development of the riverwalk area is already happening in Phenix City.

Crime in Columbus is not as different than any southern city. Columbus I would say is a lot safer than the City of Albany where crime is very rampant. Columbus has an effective city government that has been very progessive in helping Columbus growth, and planning for future growth for not only the city of Columbus but the entire Chattahoochee Valley region. This is one difference I can say between Columbus and Macon, the city of Macon suffered greatly under the currupt administration of Jack Ellis.

If you think Columbus Georgia is a horrible city... I really do suggest you take a 80 mile trip into Southwest GA to the "Good Life City" of Albany Georgia. In the past two weeks we have had multiple armed homed invastions, armed robberies in daylight, and as of the other day a murder of an 80 year old woman, and today an elderly woman was assaulted in her home by robbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA