Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 PM

186 posts, read 570,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm a college student living in Tempe, Arizona (Phoenix area), right now-- a place that many Ohioans have moved to-- and I want to get out for many of the same reasons that the original poster wants out of Austin, TX. I'm originally from Denver-- which is still a major consideration, but I also am exploring some other possibilities. Has anybody ever moved from "out west" to Ohio-- or is that unheard of?
I grew up in the Mountain West then moved to Phoenix for 5 years. Then about a year and a half ago we couldn't take the desert any longer and found Columbus Ohio to be a great place. So we moved and love it here. It's a booming town with plenty to do. You're so close to several other cities. In fact, any direction has a city waiting for you to drive to and explore. Plus, Skybus Airlines is here now with $10 fares, can't beat that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM

186 posts, read 570,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
Winters in Columbus are not what they tell you, I moved here from a warm climate because of a job transfer and was also told the winters were not bad here. I really can't wait to leave Columbus in 3 years, actually have considered Texas. The winters here last from Nov-May and latest I saw snow was May 2nd, it's depressing. Good luck to you here, I have just found this place is not my cup of tea.
Nov to May for Winter? Not even. The last part of April is warm and everything turns green before May. I grew up in Salt Lake City and we've had snow in June before so Columbus is a cake walk. And right now it's 60 degrees out and sunny, Perfect (not cold, not hot)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallie26 View Post
People are pretty down to earth in Columbus and I do think it's a nice place to raise a family (or to have grown up) ... but I must admit I am one of the Ohioans who is excited to be relocating to Texas. One thing about the weather here is, it's GRAY all the time. (Seriously, look it up, Columbus has almost two months more cloudy days every year than Dallas.) It's nice to get all four seasons but I always got down in the winter with it being so gloomy all the time.

Also, you have to deal with all these Buckeyes Now, I did go there for my graduate degree, but my loyalties will always lie with my undergraduate school and my family got *harassed* for this over the years! (But my school doesn't burn couches and throw bottles at band members...Boo.) There aren't really other professional teams (aside from hockey and soccer, a bit smaller sports) here so it is all Bucks, all the time. Some people like that -- just know it coming in!
You said it! Being from the Dallas area myself, and living in Columbus for a brief period of time, I can agree that it was very depressing during the winter months from Oct. to April. There were a couple of times when I would plan things on a Saturday during a Buckeyes game, and people would look at me like I was crazy because I couldn't watch the game on tv! I understand having support for the team and all, but that's rediculous.. It really did annoy me on a continual basis. But, to each his own..
When are you relocating to Texas? Hopefully, you'll enjoy it alot. Dallas is still growing like a weed but they do keep up with the growth as best as they can.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I would plan things on a Saturday during a Buckeyes game, and people would look at me like I was crazy because I couldn't watch the game on tv! I understand having support for the team and all, but that's rediculous.. It really did annoy me on a continual basis.
That's too funny...I just commented on this same phenomenon on another thread here recently!

It is ridiculous. A substantial portion of this city's social life in the Fall revolves around freakin' OSU.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle
I would plan things on a Saturday during a Buckeyes game, and people would look at me like I was crazy because I couldn't watch the game on tv! I understand having support for the team and all, but that's rediculous.. It really did annoy me on a continual basis.
I could not disagree more, it your a boring person and live in the suburbs and talk to only your neighbors, then yes maybe on a game day it might be "boring."

However, you can have an OSU game on and still be around the arena district or the Short North and see crowds of people. Concerts, rock shows, ballets, classical music, museums, dance, theater, sporting events, world class shopping/fashion COLUMBUS has all of that, during games, and much exisiting at the same time. Add summer festivals and conventions occuring all at the same time. If you think OSU distracts from Columbus culture I think you should visit
Columbus Alive
and check out all of the daily activies in the city, OSU really only adds to the cultural attractions in the city.

Without OSU Columbus wouldn't have the art community, the Wexner Center, Newport Music Hall, film scene, music scence, such a large collection of small business, and so many great neigborhoods in our central city so close to our downtown.

Now if you only want a back yard BBQ or a rodeo for your idea of fun, or maybe even a piano bar, Columbus is not the right place for you.

And dealing with the "midwest winter", yes it can be VERY overcast in CMH from the fall to early spring. Some months I have not even seen the sun for a week or so. We get very very little snow though, and that is why people say Columbus winters are better than other places (say Cleveland or lakeside cities where they get pounds of snow.)

The cloudy days and cold days are why you need to be a busy person, I find that when it is cold out I like to bundle up and even take a walk on one of our great biketrails along the water or through downtown (I live near High St. and the Olentangy River so it is eary for me to walk and get out and be busy). You can still be outdoors and active. Columbus offers a lot of great culture in the winter months, so if you can keep busy with that and your job and friends you will be fine.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Hey Creed,

I admire your thoughts on the happenings in Columbus, and that's great that there are other things to do there; it just wasn't a good fit for us overall. I wasn't trying to diss the city at all, just not my cup o' tea. The weather did play a huge toll on me, since I'm used to more sunny days coming from the south.. Columbus has alot to offer and I know it's a growing, thriving part of the state.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
if you only want a back yard BBQ or a rodeo for your idea of fun, or maybe even a piano bar
BBQ...? Rodeo...? Hey, now that's an idea! Piano bars...as I recall there's a pretty good one over at The Top steakhouse near Bexley

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
We get very very little snow though, and that is why people say Columbus winters are better than other places (say Cleveland or lakeside cities where they get pounds of snow.)
That is most definitely true. Central Ohio winters are nothing like Cleveland (where I lived for awhile in the early '90s). That place is like freakin' Siberia...and it doesn't really warm up around there until May!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Columbus has alot to offer and I know it's a growing, thriving part of the state.
Actually I'd say it's about the only growing, thriving part of the state. Cincy has some sporadic growth too, but not quite like Columbus.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,426 times
Quote:
Piano bars...as I recall there's a pretty good one over at The Top steakhouse near Bexley
You are right! I forgot about that place. We could use some more "mature" nightlife options in Columbus. I predict as parts of the city age, you will see more of these kinds of places.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 63,502 times
I lived in Columbus for 5 years and liked nearly everything about it - strong economy, vibrant arts community, passionate sports fans, some great neighborhoods, easy to get around......many of the things other folks have mentioned. The main reason I left was the lack of mountainous terrain to explore. There are a lot of metro parks in Cbus, but I really need large tracts of publically accessible land (eg National Forests) to clear my head, reflect on the past and think about the future. Southeast Ohio, including Hocking Hills and Wayne National Forest, is really beautiful, but it is not very remote and therefore does not provide the cathartic experience that I get from exploring mountains. Anyway, if you don't need mountains or the ocean, I don't see any reason you wouldn't like Columbus.

If I ever move back, the Clintonville area would definitely be my first choice. There a a lot of well kept homes that were built in the 40s and 50s that have hardwood floors, fireplaces, etc. If you like to walk for exercise, the streets are very safe and quiet with very little traffic except for the major streets. There are several coffee shops that have recently sprung up along High Street. There is a farmer's market. Whetstone Park and the Park of Roses is probably the crown jewel of the Columbus Parks system. You can jump on the #2 bus and take it right down High Street to OSU, the Short North (arts district) or downtown. You can walk or bike down to a bike path on the Olentangy River that you can take to downtown or to parts north. Plus it's convenient to jump on I71 or Rt 315.

That's probably a little too much info, but I always enjoy sharing my thoughts about Columbus. And please don't spread the word about Clintonville .

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM

51 posts, read 180,229 times
All of your positives are absolutely true but I still find myself unsatisfied here. I grew up in San Diego and have lived in DC and Chicago. Columbus feels boring to me. But what you've said about it is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus