Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've never been to Seattle but lived in Columbus for far too long. I'd pay the extra coin to live in Seattle (you'll get the COLA adjustment, and just make do with a smaller place) if I were in your shoes. I'll take the proximity to Portland, Vancouver, B.C. and the Oregon/Washington coast over Lake Erie and Detroit, thank you. Good luck whatever you decide.
Because Detroit is the only place to visit near Columbus? Within a day's drive you have:

New York City
Chicago
Boston
Philadelphia
DC
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Louisville
Nashville
Memphis
And many others. Columbus is a day's drive from more of the US population than any other city in the country. Seattle can't compete with that at all, and you'd be paying a premium for that lower access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
I'll go ahead and tap out of this thread due to the fact that I've never been to Seattle and therefore can't contribute much, but some of the places the guy above me listed as having "access" to are like an 8-9 hour drive, a flight for the vast majority of people. You would have to be on an extended leave from work to drive there and do something. I don't consider myself as having "access" to San Francisco because I live in San Diego, lol.

The point I will leave with is this-go where you WANT to live, and don't let things like cost of living dictate your decisions.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Reasonable drives from Columbus that not many people would fly to:

Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Louisville, even Washingotn DC is only like 6.5 hours.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'll go ahead and tap out of this thread due to the fact that I've never been to Seattle and therefore can't contribute much, but some of the places the guy above me listed as having "access" to are like an 8-9 hour drive, a flight for the vast majority of people. You would have to be on an extended leave from work to drive there and do something. I don't consider myself as having "access" to San Francisco because I live in San Diego, lol.

The point I will leave with is this-go where you WANT to live, and don't let things like cost of living dictate your decisions.
What may be unreasonable to you would not be for others. I have friends in Columbus who regularly drive to NYC. The point is not debating what is a reasonable drive, but how many places you could potentially visit within a day.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 PM

96 posts, read 124,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleliving2014 View Post
I can comment on COTA sus service. It is pretty good. My wife commute to her office by bus and she never had any issue with timings (even not on heavy snow days). She has car but prefer bus as it easy to ride.
I don't have a car but have survived here for five years, so I think I can comment on COTA bus service too. And COTA sucks!

Okay I might be a little bit too harsh, coming from Asia where the public transportation is much better than even NYC. The problem with COTA is that there is no consistency. Some drivers are very good with arriving on time but others are completely incompetent. I take #2 everyday and you'd be surprised how many times the bus already departs late from the first stop. And some operators would drive soooo slow and waste so much time that passengers would pile up at later stops. I'm not sure if I've gotten more patient or more irritable about COTA over the years (hint: the latter).

Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 PM

68 posts, read 108,458 times
Any further advice from any one for choosing Columbus Vs Seattle?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
What are you truly looking for in life?

If you want more entertainment, better climate, more outdoor options, prettier scenery, a more urban way of living (especially if you want one or both to be car free), more walkable neighborhoods....stay in Seattle

If you want a cheaper cost of living...w/ less walkability, are okay w/ fewer sports options (only NHL for professional sports), are cool w/ staying indoors 4 months of the year, in a generally flat area, and that's far more conservative (no we are not as liberal as the west coast even if as a city we are more liberal than the surrounding countryside of Ohio)...choose here.

I think your work experience will transfer well to either area so I don't think career/job opportunities are going to be better or worse for you 2 in one area or the other...if you have children or plan to soon I think the quality of schools are just as good in either place...I've seen WA usually ranks higher as a state than OH does in terms of its education.

Me personally, I'd never let cost of living be a factor in where I live, because typically, your pay is based on an area's COLA anyway...I don't need the huge 4 bedroom suburban cookier cutter McMansion w/ a big yard to be happy...I'd be happy w/ a great small condo or bungalow on a small lot in a great walkable neighborhood where I can walk to shops, restaurants, bars, parks, and a mass transit stop.

Personally if I was in your shoes, even as an Ohioan born and bred, w/ no family in the PNW, I'd chose to go there.
And I actually like Columbus, but I know I'd love living in a place like Seattle.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 PM

68 posts, read 108,458 times
Thanks ohioaninsc for your unbiased advice!

My comments in-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
What are you truly looking for in life?
I am looking for a very normal life - stability in job, comfortness in the place I live.

Quote:
If you want more entertainment, better climate, more outdoor options, prettier scenery, a more urban way of living (especially if you want one or both to be car free), more walkable neighborhoods....stay in Seattle
I do love Seattle for its climate (except rain) and prettier scenery but this is not deciding factor for me.

Quote:
If you want a cheaper cost of living...w/ less walkability, are okay w/ fewer sports options (only NHL for professional sports), are cool w/ staying indoors 4 months of the year, in a generally flat area, and that's far more conservative (no we are not as liberal as the west coast even if as a city we are more liberal than the surrounding countryside of Ohio)...choose here.
I like Columbus but not sure whether it would be good in long-term for better career opportunities.

Quote:
I think your work experience will transfer well to either area so I don't think career/job opportunities are going to be better or worse for you 2 in one area or the other...if you have children or plan to soon I think the quality of schools are just as good in either place...I've seen WA usually ranks higher as a state than OH does in terms of its education.
We both are from IT background (not programmers). How is Columbus job market for IT Management positions (such as Software Dev Managers, IT Project Managers, Directors, etc)?
Yes, we are planning to have kid in 1-2 years.

Quote:
Me personally, I'd never let cost of living be a factor in where I live, because typically, your pay is based on an area's COLA anyway...I don't need the huge 4 bedroom suburban cookier cutter McMansion w/ a big yard to be happy...I'd be happy w/ a great small condo or bungalow on a small lot in a great walkable neighborhood where I can walk to shops, restaurants, bars, parks, and a mass transit stop.
Our combined pay at both places would be almost equal. That's why I am more inclined to Columbus. But not sure if it would be wise decision.
Even we don't want huge house but definitely wants one. If one is not living in Seattle downtown then walkability is comparable to walkability in Columbus.
House prices in Seattle are 2-3 times higher than Columbus. But there is no personal state income tax. That saves few hundreds monthly.

Quote:
Personally if I was in your shoes, even as an Ohioan born and bred, w/ no family in the PNW, I'd chose to go there.
And I actually like Columbus, but I know I'd love living in a place like Seattle.
Having not lived in Columbus, I would have chosen Seattle with no doubt. Columbus is also a good place so I am confused what is good in long-term.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM

96 posts, read 124,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleliving2014 View Post
Thanks ohioaninsc for your unbiased advice!

My comments in-line.
I am looking for a very normal life - stability in job, comfortness in the place I live.
I do love Seattle for its climate (except rain) and prettier scenery but this is not deciding factor for me.
I like Columbus but not sure whether it would be good in long-term for better career opportunities.
We both are from IT background (not programmers). How is Columbus job market for IT Management positions (such as Software Dev Managers, IT Project Managers, Directors, etc)?
Yes, we are planning to have kid in 1-2 years.
Our combined pay at both places would be almost equal. That's why I am more inclined to Columbus. But not sure if it would be wise decision.
Even we don't want huge house but definitely wants one. If one is not living in Seattle downtown then walkability is comparable to walkability in Columbus.
House prices in Seattle are 2-3 times higher than Columbus. But there is no personal state income tax. That saves few hundreds monthly.
Having not lived in Columbus, I would have chosen Seattle with no doubt. Columbus is also a good place so I am confused what is good in long-term.
Seems like your biggest concern is career development.

Everybody knows that Seattle beats Columbus hands down in terms of the tech scene, but Columbus still has something to offer. As far as I know, there are several tech start-ups in Columbus (e.g., Manta). IBM also has an office in Columbus but I think it's for analytics. I'm sure there are much more.

If you background is in corporate IT department, then you would have much more choices. Just go to a job search website and check out the job listings in Columbus to get an idea.

In terms of cost of living, check out http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM

225 posts, read 462,167 times
We have lived in a few different cities in a few different states and now that we have two kids I would not pick any of the other places we have lived over Columbus Ohio. You can get a good house in a good neighborhood with great neighbors for a reasonable price and their are plenty of events around town to keep a family busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus