Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM

62 posts, read 297,104 times

Advertisements

When I visited I hardly seen the Somali's that I had heard of but when I did actually move here I see them in droves, it doesn't bother me I just was wondering why did so many of them pick the center of Ohio to stay? Is there something in particular here that attracted them to Columbus?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londa419 View Post
When I visited I hardly seen the Somali's that I had heard of but when I did actually move here I see them in droves, it doesn't bother me I just was wondering why did so many of them pick the center of Ohio to stay? Is there something in particular here that attracted them to Columbus?
I understand from a friend in Cleveland, it's the same way there. Also, in Anchorage up here they are bringing them over. Was an article in the paper the other day where one of the women actually had the nerve to say "better get ready for my people" something to that effect. Give me a break!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,515 times
I have a question about this but don't want to come off as sounding racist... When I lived in the Short North area of Columbus, There was a family that lived down the street. They were obviously foriegn (accent/clothing) but I couldn't tell if they were from S. America or Africa. The whole family was dark and very thin but had facial features that were sharp and very caucasian looking. The entire family looked, as with many families of any race, very similar in the face. A few months later I saw someone working at the Big bear that looked like he belonged to that same family.... and then later there was a couple I saw, and then several more people that again had that exact same face. Seriously, this is not some typical racist "they all look the same" thing. All of these people looked so similar in the face it was amazing. My question is... are these the Somalis? If this is a ridiculous question, please feel free to pelt me with rocks and garbage, but please explain to me how you can recognize a somali person from someone from another country?? I'd like to know.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
columbus has the biggest african population in the u.s. outside nyc. to answer the op, it's like anywhere else. the word gets out about opportunity, a small number of an ethnicity come, they like it, and families follow. it's the same reason it's there's so many hispanics in chicago and middle easterners in detroit, it just happens to be africans in columbus. the same thing is happening with asians in columbus and indians/pakistanis in cincinnati.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM

89 posts, read 207,117 times
Most of the Somalian population lives in the NE section of the City. In the 3 years I lived near morse road, the Somalian population there seemed to triple, you see more and more of them every day. I know Columbus has the second highest Somalian population in the U.S., only behind Minneapolis. Not sure why they are moving to Columbus in such large quantities, but I guess there is opportunity here, and Columbus' economy must be better suited for them to succeed than most other big cities.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 PM

62 posts, read 297,104 times
Thanks for all of the replies because I came here from Toledo and there was not really an abundance of a particular race it was pretty well balanced which I liked because you do learn alot from people of different ethnicities, I can't even say I have seen Somalians up there we have our fair share of an African population but I believed most were from Nigeria, Gahana, and other parts.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Its my understanding that somalians have had sucess here financially and do well because of the low cost of living and access to jobs that don't require degrees. Alot of em send money back to their families and show other people their success either working or owning businesses. Very nice people.....

Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 89,021 times
Default why....

My understanding from reading NPR blogs and speaking to others in Cols is that Uncle Sam offered the City of Columbus tax rebates to offer assistance to Somali immigrants... that equaled $$$ for schools and infrastructure. There is a Somali Community Webpage, etc. The idea is to help them assimilate into American culture. Minneapolis, MN has the only larger population for the same reason.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Hey, I like the diversity. As long as they are legal, welcome to Columbus! The SE Asian population is also exploding in Ohio.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM

71 posts, read 288,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
I have a question about this but don't want to come off as sounding racist... When I lived in the Short North area of Columbus, There was a family that lived down the street. They were obviously foriegn (accent/clothing) but I couldn't tell if they were from S. America or Africa. The whole family was dark and very thin but had facial features that were sharp and very caucasian looking. The entire family looked, as with many families of any race, very similar in the face. A few months later I saw someone working at the Big bear that looked like he belonged to that same family.... and then later there was a couple I saw, and then several more people that again had that exact same face. Seriously, this is not some typical racist "they all look the same" thing. All of these people looked so similar in the face it was amazing. My question is... are these the Somalis? If this is a ridiculous question, please feel free to pelt me with rocks and garbage, but please explain to me how you can recognize a somali person from someone from another country?? I'd like to know.
Yes, as a Somali I can tell you that what you are describing are in-facts Somali features
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus