Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

83 posts, read 294,235 times

Advertisements

You can call it a "posy" if you'd like, but the Short North Posse that I remember was a gang of young male prostitutes...... Anyway, the Short North is WAY better than it used to be, but it definitely is becoming more Disney-fied as time goes on. It has lost some of its artistic flair, but it is still one of the best things about Cowtown. Although, I have always wondered how all of those 19-year old college students can afford to go to any of those places. Maybe I was the only person who never had any money when I was in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Columbus and RTP are both great areas. I grew up 40 minutes away from Raleigh and I have seen the major transformation in just the last 15 years. I have some friends that live in Columbus that I visit once a year. They are trying to get me to relocate there and I just may consider it once the economy turns around. RTP has better weather for sure (in the winter) but I think one would be happy in either city.
I think you'd like it here (in Cbus) too! And you are right - both are great cities

Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,426 times
Quote:
Although, I have always wondered how all of those 19-year old college students can afford to go to any of those places. Maybe I was the only person who never had any money when I was in college.
Because the majority of short north business are not supported by college students, they are a minority of the business make up. The area is supported by post college adults (previously hippie/artsy couples and singles and gays) and now a mix of the original make up and many young couples and post college singles and retired couples in nice houses and condos.

Many of the high end restaurants have your typical audience, retired couples, business types, etc..

Now Union, the main Gay/Straight restaurant, bar (I say that because it's now a very mixed crowd) in Columbus is supported by many college students and young adults.

Quote:
the Short North Posse that I remember was a gang of young male prostitutes...
The Short North Posse was really more of an issue that spread down into the Short Noth/Italian Village from the still high crime Weinland Park neighborhood. The Posse was mostly an African American gang.

Speaking of male prostitutes, I have heard many stories of how many would linger around the short north during the 90's (when the area was known for being even more of a gay neighborhood.) I am not sure if this is still an issue in the area, though it is more likely an undercover/underground occurrence than it use to be.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
During the better part of the late 80's to mid 90's the male and female prostitutes used to mostly hang out up around the garden district where Skully's and Surly Girl are located now... but they are long gone. The "hub" of sorts was a bar called The Caravan in that area, but it is a high-end eye glasses shop now. Before that, the street walkers used to do business at the corner of Hubbard & High. I used to have to drive my moped by them every morning on my way to high school (83-87). A few of them were drop-outs from my school... kinda sad and I wonder what ever happened to them.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 AM

146 posts, read 335,942 times
Only posting in reference to your interest in activities.

- I usually wakeboard, 2/3 days a week, from the end of April till the beginning of October.
- I head up to Alum or down to the AEP trails for great single track mountain biking all year round. (Depending on the weather of course)
- In the winter I teach snowboarding out at Mad River ski area (yes, it is small, but the terrain park is really good, plus I enjoy just being outside) Flights out of Port Columbus to SLC, Denver, and Reno are almost always less than $300 if you need to head west for some Pow.
- From what I have been told, Columbus has some great golfing. (I have golfed, but I am not one to be judging )
- There are flag football, softball, soccer, lacrosse, ect, leagues all over this city.
- Blue Jackets games are always fun, the new Clippers stadium is going to be fun, Crew games are fun, and yes, I enjoy going to see the buckeyes.
- I enjoy the $10 cab fairs from my house to downtown, short north, German village, ect.....
- I can ride my bike to work, or make the 15 minute drive.
- Hocking Hills is 1 hour to the South for some moderate hiking and good rock climbing.
- Mohican is 1 hour to the North for moderate hiking, good horseback riding, and good rock climbing
- I can be to the airport in 15/20 minutes from my house.
- The Wexner center has great free movie showings, art exhibits, ect.
- The Newport Music Hall, The LC pavilion, and hundreds for small music venues make for good musical acts somewhere almost every night.

I am not bragging about all the "stuff" I do, I am just trying to show that there is a ton to do here. I hear people talking about how bored they would get in "Cowtown", I'm guessing they haven't lived here, or they didn't try really hard. So, I am not bored. I have a good "profession", own my house, and with the exception of wanting a more consistent winter, have been pretty happy to call Columbus my home.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
I found this ranking interesting:

METRO RANK

Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
that poll is worthless. we probobly paid for the survey with our tax dollars... basically any metro with growth is at the top... a few observations: morrow county really part of columbus.? cary nc, des moines iowa, omaha , pheonix, houston,etc.... im suppossed to believe because they are growing or because some "think-tank" ranks them high, they are great places to live? not for me.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
It's not about growth, but economic strength. The point was to show that Columbus ranks favorably with other growing regions. Morrow County is a part of the Columbus Metropolitan area per the Census Bureau.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
get your facts. columbus metro not a global strength. as for ohio (economic strength/gdp) columbus is a distant 3rd in ohio. the dying city to your north is #1 in ohio and unbelievably 24th in the world behind paris. i had no clue either. Brookings Institution report shows Cleveland still a big economic force - OPENERS - Ohio Politics Blog by The Plain Dealer. ps- most of deleware county is farmland let alone morrow, what a joke. and summit is excluded from cleveland when the two cities (cleve.akron) suburbs are connected? mmmm

Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
I thought it was interesting that you are choosing between these two places since I have moved back and forth between them for the last 10 years. Both areas have a lot to offer, but listen to 'streetcreed'...he or she gave you very accurate info.

RTP isn't just the two cities, by the way. It's 3. Chapel Hill is included in that element since it is part of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and employs people from all three. Sort of the same concept as the Tri-State Area that you would be used to in NY (I also used to live in CT, so I've been a part of that triad as well).

ZnGuy also mentioned two other cities in the area of Raleigh - Cary and Apex. Both of these are considered suburbs of Raleigh, and geographically they are probably 8-12 miles away. Both are very nice towns, although neither contains the things you are looking for.

So, here is what I think you need to know (according to your post):

Both Columbus and RTP can offer you a wide range of activities in a short distance if you move to the right place. In Columbus, I would suggest the Short North or Clintonville. In NC, I would suggest Durham and specifically an area called Trinity Park. Since it is right off Duke campus, the ammenities that you are looking for (pubs, cycling paths, coffee shops and sports bars) are all readily available and within walking distance.

Both places have great Rails-To-Trails paths, by the way, so walking/running/cycling is easy in either place. If you're serious about the once in a while bowling thing, you could also go either way, but I promise that there are way more bowling options in Ohio than in North Carolina.

Hope you find a great home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus