Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
this tread isnt about race, its about people who make the decision to be individuals, when your resume is good and loaded with great work history but you have maybe a few to many tattoos or dreads etc. i dont blame the people who have put themselves in a position of BOSS, they earn the right to choose who they want with their company, what I'm seeing as someone who grew up in columbus and now lives in d.c area, if you apply your self out here, the sky's the limit, whether you have a criminal record or didnt get higher education, you get a chance, from what i remember about Columbus is nothing like that, its what they say out here, A RED STATE, meaning very conservative. if you've made mistakes in your past and grew but get looked down upon, you might understand what i'm asking.I'm not pointing fingers or making excuses, I'm asking a genuine question, which city is better for a black man with some flaws in his past and chooses a look that might be stereo typed by people who dont understand. thanks for your opinions
Based upon your clarification, I would say DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i personally know some very successful AA men. impressive. the area was a factor, but so was the attitude. employment is 85% attitude. few believe this fewer understand it.
eddie murphy is fiction.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
as far as 6 figures goes...i mean...you can make 6 figs anywhere if your qualified.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 25,729 times
Go to Washington, D.C. I hear they have a half-white President running the show there now. HA!

As for Columbus, you will fit in wherever you believe you will fit in. It is all in your mind.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damovinguy View Post
Go to Washington, D.C. I hear they have a half-white President running the show there now. HA!
OKaaaayyy. generaly the population in Columbus is less tolerent of things different (OK they are darn right xenophobic). The place is fairly liberal, so they are less likely to hold race against you than they would religion or culture.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Tweezy,
I think amywhere in the midwest and also other parts of the country aren't as "open-minded" as say D.C., California, Washington State, NYC, etc. I am not sure that it's the actual part of the country or the companies that are hiring in those areas. You are correct that coastal areas tend to be more understanding, and "sky is the limit" I think you said to....remember that there are HUGE companies there, worldwide companies, government, etc. There are many more opportunities for all types of people...however, it comes with a price. You'll have to make twice what you would in Columbus to live well, and you'll have 10x's the competition for every job you seek.
I'm glad things seem to be working out well for you in DC. If you really want to get back to Columbus, get that great BOSS job in DC, and make your way back. Then, maybe you can be one of the first to start being the guy who makes that difference in the area.
I think your post is on target with everything.

I live in California, and the "live and let live" attitude here definitely comes with a high price. A lot of middle income foks have gotten frustrated and left and others are considering it.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM

66 posts, read 114,748 times
I moved here from Baltimore about a year and a half ago, so I'm familiar with both DC and Columbus work environment.

It's more about the line of work you're in and the company you're with than the locale. Larger, more traditional organizations will have a more conservative business environment and stricter requirements for hiring, smaller organizations and startups will be more flexible. You'll find a greater diversity of companies in DC, however there's lots of qualified people competing with you for jobs and a much higher cost of living. There's a good mix of opportunities here in Columbus, although either way you can expect to spend a month or two in your job search because of the economy.

What type of job opportunities are you looking for? I may be able to refer you to some good resources.

Jonathan C.
ASCEND: The Black Professional Association of Columbus
www.ascendbpac.org
www.meetup.com/columbus-black-professionals

Last edited by NeoSoulBrotha; 05-11-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus