Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to C-Bus for a Miami Hurricane football game at OSU. I'm bringing a van of guys with me from Milwaukee and I am looking for recommendations on where to stay and where to park for tailgating. Also where is the best bar district after game day? I am a U fan so I know I will be subject of ridicule but still looking forward to it. Do most people go party downtown after a game or is their bars close to the stadium? Any other game day recommendations much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM

555 posts, read 1,572,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So I am coming to C-Bus for a Miami Hurricane football game at OSU. I'm bringing a van of guys with me from Milwaukee and I am looking for recommendations on where to stay and where to park for tailgating. Also where is the best bar district after game day? I am a U fan so I know I will be subject of ridicule but still looking forward to it. Do most people go party downtown after a game or is their bars close to the stadium? Any other game day recommendations much appreciated!
There's plenty of hotels in and around downtown and OSU. I wouldn't be able to point you to a certain one though. For bars and entertainment, I would recommend the Short North and Arena District. There's plenty of sports bars around there. Downtown really doesn't have much going on at night, so that's a moot point.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM

How about the best sports bars or best bars in general? Names please.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Football season is coming up and I can't find any tix even for sale, when do they go on sale?

Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Hate to burst your bubble but tailgating is pretty much prohibited as far as drinking.They have River Watch which has live music,big t.v. screens,and beer-liquor...the catch is you stand in line...I.D.check wrist band and you buy tickets to purchase beer-liquor....but that is in another line...two freaking lines so buy alot of tickets the first time.They used to have a thing called Hiney Gate at the HOLIDAY INN on Lane but they converted it to student housing.Lane St. runs between High St. and Rt.315 there is the Varsity Club & The Thirsty Scholar which is smaller across the street from Tommy's Pizza its all close to the SHOE...my advice is Red Roof and walk...i believe that is Ackerman Rd? or the University Plaza Hotel. The fans where blamed for vandalism that the students did after a MICHIGAN game some years back and changes have been made that has taken some of the atmosphere away. Tickets are around but be prepared to part with some green! Also Buck fans will give you some hell...but be a sport and you'll get along fine . Beware there are COPS everywhere no open flasks or burning doobies ... taxis over charge

Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but tailgating is pretty much prohibited as far as drinking.They have River Watch which has live music,big t.v. screens,and beer-liquor...the catch is you stand in line...I.D.check wrist band and you buy tickets to purchase beer-liquor....but that is in another line...two freaking lines so buy alot of tickets the first time.They used to have a thing called Hiney Gate at the HOLIDAY INN on Lane but they converted it to student housing.Lane St. runs between High St. and Rt.315 there is the Varsity Club & The Thirsty Scholar which is smaller across the street from Tommy's Pizza its all close to the SHOE...my advice is Red Roof and walk...i believe that is Ackerman Rd? or the University Plaza Hotel. The fans where blamed for vandalism that the students did after a MICHIGAN game some years back and changes have been made that has taken some of the atmosphere away. Tickets are around but be prepared to part with some green! Also Buck fans will give you some hell...but be a sport and you'll get along fine . Beware there are COPS everywhere no open flasks or burning doobies ... taxis over charge
Geesh! I was planning on taking a van down full of U fans and Badger fans who obviously from WI love to drink and a lot and like to get rowdy with ball breakin' and loud music. So there is no place close to the stadium for that kind of atmosphere? Hey OSU officials aka captain No Fun!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Geesh! I was planning on taking a van down full of U fans and Badger fans who obviously from WI love to drink and a lot and like to get rowdy with ball breakin' and loud music. So there is no place close to the stadium for that kind of atmosphere? Hey OSU officials aka captain No Fun!
All the parties, bars are only 500 yards from the Shoe...getting around by car on game day is a B!t#h!! You'll luv RiverWatch then loud music and it gets rowdy! GOOGLE the Varsity Club look at the photo's on game day...or past Hiney Gates? Remember there will be over 100,000 people in the SHOE ....my guess since it is the Miami Huricanes 105,800 people....oh no smoking in the SHOE! They will kick your a$$ out...been there done that!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
All the parties, bars are only 500 yards from the Shoe...getting around by car on game day is a B!t#h!! You'll luv RiverWatch then loud music and it gets rowdy! GOOGLE the Varsity Club look at the photo's on game day...or past Hiney Gates? Remember there will be over 100,000 people in the SHOE ....my guess since it is the Miami Huricanes 105,800 people....oh no smoking in the SHOE! They will kick your a$$ out...been there done that!
So where is the best place to park a van? in campus parking or on a party street close to or across from the Shoe?

I am still going to try to sneak in an all plastic flasks I can!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So where is the best place to park a van? in campus parking or on a party street close to or across from the Shoe?

I am still going to try to sneak in an all plastic flasks I can!
They used to let the RV-campers-party buses use St.John's Arena parking lot then moved them near Schottensteins and the baseball field....there was a fee to do this during football season & a application to fill-out ?...We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Lane & had to fill out a application to reserve the room for the weekend each year...we went 8 years in a row till they closed. I love those little airline bottles of booze easy to sneak in ,buy a soda,go to the restroom and enjoy.One year some guys bought a camper and kept it in the backyard of some college kids rental... paid them to watch it -storage during the season...one too many D.U.I.'S. I will call my friend who is a grad of OSU & lives in Hillard i will see what he recommends or knows.He get tickets to all the home games takes me to a game every year .

Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM

My buddy said they have changed the areas to tailgate so much he couldn't say.RV's would be a problem...seasonal fee no single games...but a van he said Jesse Owens Parking lot plastic cups, nonchalant....the earlier the better. Try OSU FOOTBALL PARKING....personally i will tell you of a spot but since the university bought the Holiday i don't know... there is a park with open space behind it[ball fields tennis courts]...also a walking - bike trail along the Olentangy river.They were playing Cornhole,BQing.and you know having fun...Varsity Club...live music... Lane Ave...is a stones throw away... the Buckeye Nation awaits your arrival...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus