Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 20,902 times

Advertisements

Sure hoping someone can help me. I'm writing a novel set in 2035 and having an awful time trying to guess what America will be like--technologically speaking.

What I'm struggling with right now is whether my hero would be able to produce a report extracted from paper data files that were converted to electronic files. The way I described the conversion process is "... hundreds of hours were spent cataloging, scanning and digitalizing the massive volume of papers files..."

Specifically, if the paper minutes of hundreds of Board meetings recorded the names of the directors and how they voted on each issue, could my hero go through the electronic files and mine this data?

Since this is critical to the plot, I need to make sure that interrogating the electronic files, could produce a report created by "reading" the content of the information in the converted paper files.

Sure hope this question makes sense to somebody. Also if you have a line or two on "far out" technology that may be available in twenty-five years, feel free to share.

Thanks,
EileenMaud

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenmaud View Post
Sure hoping someone can help me. I'm writing a novel set in 2035 and having an awful time trying to guess what America will be like--technologically speaking.

What I'm struggling with right now is whether my hero would be able to produce a report extracted from paper data files that were converted to electronic files. The way I described the conversion process is "... hundreds of hours were spent cataloging, scanning and digitalizing the massive volume of papers files..."

Specifically, if the paper minutes of hundreds of Board meetings recorded the names of the directors and how they voted on each issue, could my hero go through the electronic files and mine this data?

Since this is critical to the plot, I need to make sure that interrogating the electronic files, could produce a report created by "reading" the content of the information in the converted paper files.

Sure hope this question makes sense to somebody. Also if you have a line or two on "far out" technology that may be available in twenty-five years, feel free to share.

Thanks,
EileenMaud

Yes, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is a technology that has been available to consumers for 20 years already. It isn't unreasonable that by now the technology is close to perfect.

Optical character recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much. Just wanted to make sure the process my hero is following makes sense.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM

16,731 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is a technology that has been available to consumers for 20 years already. It isn't unreasonable that by now the technology is close to perfect.

Optical character recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup. We've got a good (very expensive) system at work that doesn't miss much even when reading hand written documents.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-15-2011 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Creative Spelling (again)

Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,724,776 times
Look at IBM's Watson - in another 20 years, the computer will not only be able to mine the data, it will be able to make a knowledgeable report based off it all on its own.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,285,952 times
scanR*::*Scan, print and fax from your phone

You can already do this with a cell phone. Kinda.

Google uses big ocr scanners for their google books project.

There is also an iPhone app that can translate words while looking through the camera: Word Lens: Augmented Reality Translation App*|*Digital Buzz Blog

In the future I can see humans being implanted with contact lenses that can read the papers (that would be slower than sending papers through a machine) and be sent to a computer or pico projector through something like bluetooth. Effectively turning us into video recorders and players.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

148 posts, read 371,538 times
I used to work at a Data Imaging company and we scanned millions of paper documents for a ton of various contractors. This is definitely feasible and even more so in the future as newer technology becomes available.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
And the programming side of it (mining the data from the scanned documents) is already a reality so you're good to go.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Look at IBM's Watson - in another 20 years, the computer will not only be able to mine the data, it will be able to make a knowledgeable report based off it all on its own.
This is good to know since it is exactly what happens in my novel.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,318,852 times
In 20 years AI backed robots will be adventuring into space and using humans as living batteries. I welcome our robot oppressors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers