Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,281 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help a friend reformat her Dell laptop but all we see is a black screen when the pc is powered on. The laptop has vista OS. The pc was fine a few days ago and all of sudden this happened. So, she just wants to wipe out everything because we think it's a virus. She made already made a clone of her hard drive a month ago, so wiping everything won't be a problem.

What we've tried:
We inserted the vista CD and powered the pc on then hit the ctrl and F8 or F11 buttons but nothing happens. All you see is a black screen.

We tried taking the battery off and unplugging the plug then repeating the steps above but nothing happens except for a black screen. Then repeated the steps above without the vista CD in the player, nothing seems to happen except seeing a black screen.

I don't want to do it but, I told her the last resort is to maybe replace the hard drive with a new one and just start from scratch. We would rather save the hard drive, it's a 7200rpm and 80gb. The 80gb isn't very big these days but she was very happy with it.

Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Your hard drive and Vista are not the problem. You have hardware trouble on your laptop. There are a couple of guys reading this forum that work on laptops regularly. Hopefully, someone can offer you some troubleshooting tips.

First thing I'd do is hook up a monitor to the laptop and see if I get a display that way.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
OK this might sound crazy but it sometimes works on some Dell and IBM laptops.
Disconnect the ower
Remove the battery
Press the power button 15 times quickly in a row
Replace Battery
Plug it in
Try it

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OK this might sound crazy but it sometimes works on some Dell and IBM laptops.
Disconnect the ower
Remove the battery
Press the power button 15 times quickly in a row
Replace Battery
Plug it in
Try it

We tried this method but it's still showing a blackscreen.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Your hard drive and Vista are not the problem. You have hardware trouble on your laptop. There are a couple of guys reading this forum that work on laptops regularly. Hopefully, someone can offer you some troubleshooting tips.

First thing I'd do is hook up a monitor to the laptop and see if I get a display that way.

We haven't tried plugging it to a monitor, we don't have a plug and monitor to plug it into as of now. BTW, we are both long time dell laptop owners and we never had a problem with the screen though.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
We haven't tried plugging it to a monitor, we don't have a plug and monitor to plug it into as of now. BTW, we are both long time dell laptop owners and we never had a problem with the screen though.
Do you have a late model TV? Many TV's will except video input from a computer. So if you have a late model TV, you can use that.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post

Just making sure: there's no BIOS screen right?

Try the external monitor when you get a chance. Also try, if your Dell has it, a reset button on the bottom. You might have to push it with a pin. If not also, try taking out the CMOS on the laptop. You will obviously have to disassemble it though.

I also just "fixed" two laptops with broken displays. One was a cable issue and another was a faulty RAM slot.

If the external monitor works then it could be a faulty inverter, the LCD screen itself or just a cable. If the the external monitor doesn't work then it may be the board itself.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Just making sure: there's no BIOS screen right?

Try the external monitor when you get a chance. Also try, if your Dell has it, a reset button on the bottom. You might have to push it with a pin. If not also, try taking out the CMOS on the laptop. You will obviously have to disassemble it though.

I also just "fixed" two laptops with broken displays. One was a cable issue and another was a faulty RAM slot.

If the external monitor works then it could be a faulty inverter, the LCD screen itself or just a cable. If the the external monitor doesn't work then it may be the board itself.
Ok, the external monitor will have to wait for now till we get a hold of one. There is no reset button.
I'm not sure what you meant by CMOS? What is that exactly so I can work on that?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I should have been clearer. The CMOS battery. Its like a watch battery. You pop it out and it "resets" the machine.

What is the exact model name of your computer?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
You may have accidentally switched it to an outside display.

Look along the top row of function keys. I believe it's F8 on Dell, but it should say something like LCD\CRT in a different color. Find that key, hold down the FN key (down near the spacebar usually), then press the function key. It may take a second or two, but it should switch over.

You mentioned pressing the F8 key in your post, so maybe you hit the FN key at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers