Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

I didn't know where to stick this post because I'm not looking for a way to fix it - I thought this was pretty funny and wanted to get other opinions.

I cut and pasted an article and the grammar checker highlighted a pretty common contraction - you're and gave me a subtitution which was "you is".

I was so disgusted I submitted it to Microsoft. They told me that I should turn off the grammar checker. I thought that was a cheap way out for them to give me that suggestion. I told them they should correct their code because the only substitution for you're is "you are".

Ridiculous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Grammar checks can make bizarre suggestions at times, that's why you should proofread.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I didn't know where to stick this post because I'm not looking for a way to fix it - I thought this was pretty funny and wanted to get other opinions.

I cut and pasted an article and the grammar checker highlighted a pretty common contraction - you're and gave me a subtitution which was "you is".

I was so disgusted I submitted it to Microsoft. They told me that I should turn off the grammar checker. I thought that was a cheap way out for them to give me that suggestion. I told them they should correct their code because the only substitution for you're is "you are".

Ridiculous.
To answer your question about where to place this thread, there is a Computers sub-forum under Science And Technology.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/computers/

Which version of Word are you using, 2003? I use Office 2007 and 2010 on my home and work computers, I'll have to see if that problem.. or "Feature" has been carried over to newer versions.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Ridiculous.
Maybe they is in the defensive mode.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
They had an H1B working on their grammer checker!

Did you notice that if you insert a high quality JPEG in a Word 2010 document it becomes fuzzy? I needed to print a Bank Statement with fingerprint signatures and it was fuzzy.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
While this is not a defense for Microsoft, it is an interesting observation. It seems sentence structure is causing the grammar checker to kick in. "Turn off the grammar checker." Really? Makes me wonder if the MS tech even knows what it does.

MS Word 2003.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
While this is not a defense for Microsoft, it is an interesting observation. It seems sentence structure is causing the grammar checker to kick in. "Turn off the grammar checker." Really? Makes me wonder if the MS tech even knows what it does.

MS Word 2003.

Triggers it in 2007 as well. It still triggers "is" as a correction if you separate "you're" into "you are"

It's something to do with "like", if you change it to "as if" then the problem goes away.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Did you notice that if you insert a high quality JPEG in a Word 2010 document it becomes fuzzy? I needed to print a Bank Statement with fingerprint signatures and it was fuzzy.
I can think of two reason that might be, your image is probably 72 DPI which is typical from a camera and it's resizing it to the canvas still using 72 DPI. Change the DPI in an image editor to something like 300.

The other possibility is it might not do a full resizing of the image for display on yorr monitor to conserve CPU and is displaying a "half assed" re-sized image. In that case it should be fine on printout.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Triggers it in 2007 as well. It still triggers "is" as a correction if you separate "you're" into "you are"

It's something to do with "like", if you change it to "as if" then the problem goes away.
I think you are correct - the use of "like" is the trigger. It seems likely that the grammar checker is fooled by the multiple uses of the word "like." I suggest the OP not write using weasel words....

Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you are correct - the use of "like" is the trigger. It seems likely that the grammar checker is fooled by the multiple uses of the word "like." I suggest the OP not write using weasel words....
If you'd read the entire OP you'd know that, like, the OP did a cut and paste of the, like, text, like, they didn't write the, like, original, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers