Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,828 times

Advertisements

On some websites (not all) when I try to view a PDF file I get a small pop-up screen that says the following:
" Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securily?
The webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection which could compromise the security of the entire webpage. " Options are: Yes or No
Doesn't matter which one I select, the PDF is blank.
It only happens on some sites. Others I can view and even download PDF files....
Is there a way to get around this or fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Is there a way to get around this or fix it?
What do you want to program today?: Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?

IE8 - security warning (annoying) - Tech Support Forum

IE8 Messages & Image Display - Microsoft Answers

How to Disable "Mixed Content" Security Warning in Internet Explorer

http://img.labnol.org/di/https_warning_in_IE.png (broken link)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM

I followed the instructions but it only changed the fact that now I don't get the little pop-up window with the warning message. A screen opens but it is not a pdf and it is blank.
So it must be something about opening the pdf file.
As I said,... I can open some pdf files on other sites and even download them. But some I can't.
I am using Windows XP / Internet Explorer 8

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
I followed the instructions but it only changed the fact that now I don't get the little pop-up window with the warning message. A screen opens but it is not a pdf and it is blank.
So it must be something about opening the pdf file.
As I said,... I can open some pdf files on other sites and even download them. But some I can't.
I am using Windows XP / Internet Explorer 8.
Sorry, can't help anymore. Haven't touched IE in 10 years...

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
The one thing you do not mention: what PDF software do you have installed?
The free Adobe Reader? Remove it through ADD/REMOVFE Programs.
Reboot.
Redownload and Reinstall.
OR download and try a completely different product like: Nitro Reader.
Nitro | Create, Convert & Edit PDF Files

Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
It sounds like you selected Disable instead of Enable for the "Display Mixed Content" option under Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) > Custom Level.. (button) > Miscellaneous (section).

Are you sure that option is selected as Enable?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It sounds like you selected Disable instead of Enable for the "Display Mixed Content" option under Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) > Custom Level.. (button) > Miscellaneous (section).

Are you sure that option is selected as Enable?
I followed the instructions and still can't open the pdf file on this one particular website.
However I can open all other pdf files, both the ones I have saved to my hard drive and new ones on other websites.
I'm beginning to think the problem may be that website and not my computer.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.01

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Your PDF viewer is badly out of date, the current free PDF viewer from Adobe is Adobe Reader 10. You have Acrobat Reader 3, which is 7 versions out of date. Acrobat Reader became Adobe Reader around version 8 or 9.

I find it far more useful to download and view PDF files outside the browser, than view them inside the browser. I believe there is a preference you can set so that PDFs are not viewed inside the browser. If not, you can disable the extension/add-on that enables this.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
I followed the instructions and still can't open the pdf file on this one particular website.
However I can open all other pdf files, both the ones I have saved to my hard drive and new ones on other websites.
I'm beginning to think the problem may be that website and not my computer.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.01

Yeah, if you can open the local PDF files and some other sites open PDF files then.....wait! What, version 3.01? The current version for the reader is 10x. If you weren't mistaken about your version then I strongly suggest updating it (after you uninstall the current one).

Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
In fact we can't even continue to help you if you don't upgrade to a newer version. There is no way to eliminate that old version as being the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers