Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 8,314 times

Advertisements

Ok so my old pc died on me so I went out and got a bunch of new components save the video card. After plugging everything in I still get no input on my monitor so I did a test and found that even with just the motherboard, cpu, and power supply and still get no beep code and am wondering if there is some way to test to see what is wrong? I plan on replacing the video card since its old but how can I test to see why I am not getting a beep code? Plus I had to create a new account since I forgot my psw for my old account since its stored on my old hard drive along with my psw to the email address I was using Old account: rgomez912
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Check all the power connections even the CPU power, I've forgotten that one sometimes.

And I didn't see RAM on your checklist, there's RAM in there right?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Did you ruled out the RAM? Sometimes when a stick of RAM goes bad, the computer would not boot up. Does the CPU fan came on?
You can try and take out one of the RAM sticks and try again.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM

OK my motherboard has an led that lights up if there is a problem with ram. I was trying to test the beep code for missing memory that came with my motherboard and with no memory the led lights up as it is supposed to but no error beep code is given. If I place all my ram in I still get no beep code but the led light stays off signaling that the memory is ok. CPU fan comes on and all peripherals installed light up.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
When you are stumped and do not know the cause of a boot up/ power up problem, it is best to use a "bare minimum" hardware set up which means you only and only have the following exact components installed/connected inside the case:

1- Power Supply Unit (PSU)
2- Processor (CPU) and its heatsink+fan (goes without saying)
3- Video card (if there is an integrated one, then it should be used instead of an add-in one)
4- One stick of RAM
5- Keyboard

That is it. After unplugging the power cord, disconnected everything else including extra RAM sticks, Hard Drive, etc.

Since all connection would be disconnected, lift the case and shake it a bit to see if you hear any loose things moving around inside the case, like screws, etc.

When everything is done, connect the power cord, keyboard and then the video cable to the monitor.
Leave the side cover open and turn on the system. In the following few seconds:
A. Position yourself in such a way that you can see if the PSU and CPU fans spin or not.
B. Watch the LEDs in front of the case (if applicable) to see if they light up or not.
C. Watch the keyboard (if applicable) and make sure the LEDs on it lights up at least once.
D. Immediately after A, B and C, (a few seconds after powering on the system) you should hear the POST (Power On Self Test) beep confirming preliminary hardware check was successful around the same time you will see the "Press F2/DEL/etc. to Enter BIOS" screen come up.

Following the above, BIOS will turn to MBR to locate & load (if applicable) the Operating System.

Let us know how far you get...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez246 View Post
OK my motherboard has an led that lights up if there is a problem with ram. I was trying to test the beep code for missing memory that came with my motherboard and with no memory the led lights up as it is supposed to but no error beep code is given. If I place all my ram in I still get no beep code but the led light stays off signaling that the memory is ok. CPU fan comes on and all peripherals installed light up.
Do the steps I mentioned in the previous post which is what El Nina mentioned as well. Leave one stick of RAM and try booting to see what happens.

Also, can you get in the BIOS settings? Have you modified any settings in BIOS? Do the related settings look accurate?
Check everything from system date/time to hardware boot sequence to installed RAM amount, etc., make sure they all look right.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM

OK I will do that, also I did not modify anything since the system never was able to make it to the boot screen to begin with

Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM

OK still nothing Power fan, cpu fan, and video card fan all come on, and keyboard lights up.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Ok after doing a search online I found a few who have the same problem as me and they went to the extent of buying the same build but 2 times to find out it still wont work. I am using an ASUS M5A97 motherboard with the AMD FX-4100 AM3+ CPU. The motherboard states it supports the FX series but after looking at the cpu support page on ASUS it only supports my CPU after a BIOS update. I am guessing all motherboards come with the first bios installed by default and if this is the case then I must buy another cpu just so I can flash the bios to use the one I originally got . Its a start to seeing if that is the problem since there is no way the motherboard could give off a beep code if there was no processor running.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez246 View Post
Ok after doing a search online I found a few who have the same problem as me and they went to the extent of buying the same build but 2 times to find out it still wont work. I am using an ASUS M5A97 motherboard with the AMD FX-4100 AM3+ CPU. The motherboard states it supports the FX series but after looking at the cpu support page on ASUS it only supports my CPU after a BIOS update. I am guessing all motherboards come with the first bios installed by default and if this is the case then I must buy another cpu just so I can flash the bios to use the one I originally got . Its a start to seeing if that is the problem since there is no way the motherboard could give off a beep code if there was no processor running.
That's a *****. You can try taking it to a local computer shop, see if they have a usable processor used for either dirt cheap, or see if they'll flash the BIOS for you using known-working processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers