Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM

19 posts, read 52,387 times

Advertisements

I refer to your experiences - what should I know about and/or be aware of when building my first computer? I'm pretty technical, but I am no engineer by any means. I work for CDW, I have always had a passion for computers, and got my CCNA 8 years ago and never did anything with it.

Here are my thoughts on what to do - please give any input or opinions!!

Budget - I'd like to keep it under 1100 for the tower and dual monitors.

Windows? Linux? I would like to game on it from time to time, but I hear about how much Windows sucks on your RAM. I want this computer to last for a long time, so a motherboard that allows me to expand down the road is important. I'm not paying for anything over a quad core processor since 5 years from now it'll still not be used to it's full potential. AMD/Intel? I am never opposed to AMD.

Hard drive, SSD for booting and 7200 for storage?

What type of cooling? Power supply should be greater than what? Nvidia/ATI?

What type of Chassis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Each question you asked is highly subjective, and you'll get more opinions than there are parts available to build your computer. As you will be using it do what you want, not what others think you should do. My 2 cents is below.

Budget is doable.
Any gaming rig needs to be Windows 7, but you can always dual boot with Linux. And no Windows 7 is not a memory hog, you heard incorrectly. I prefer Intel, and 8GB RAM will serve you well for quite a while.

As far as SSD, if you can afford one it's probably the best thing you can do for performance.

Unless you're going to be overclocking, standard fan cooling works fine, and I prefer Nvidia for graphics.

The Antec 900 is a nice case, with large, quiet fans.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW25 View Post
I refer to your experiences - what should I know about and/or be aware of when building my first computer? I'm pretty technical, but I am no engineer by any means. I work for CDW, I have always had a passion for computers, and got my CCNA 8 years ago and never did anything with it.

Here are my thoughts on what to do - please give any input or opinions!!

Budget - I'd like to keep it under 1100 for the tower and dual monitors.

Windows? Linux? I would like to game on it from time to time, but I hear about how much Windows sucks on your RAM. I want this computer to last for a long time, so a motherboard that allows me to expand down the road is important. I'm not paying for anything over a quad core processor since 5 years from now it'll still not be used to it's full potential. AMD/Intel? I am never opposed to AMD.

What type of Chassis?
I think you'll have a lot of options with that budget, especially if you stick with monitors that are 24" or smaller, and a smaller SSD. If you are looking forward to future upgrades, I would get a case that's bigger than you need, and a power supply that has extra wattage for a 2nd graphics card and other goodies down the road.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
This is a good site to piece together a build for the cheapest prices:
Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

Good luck. It's terribly easy and fun. Go ahead and build a list of items and post them here, we can tell you what to change if any.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW25 View Post
I would like to game on it from time to time, but I hear about how much Windows sucks on your RAM. I want this computer to last for a long time, so a motherboard that allows me to expand down the road is important. I'm not paying for anything over a quad core processor since 5 years from now it'll still not be used to it's full potential. AMD/Intel? I am never opposed to AMD.

What type of Chassis?
Windows 7 uses memory pretty efficiently but even if it didn't, memory is cheap. The idea of getting a motherboard to last a long time is really not practical. Yes, get a full ATX board with expansion slots, especially PCI Express slots. And get some x4 or x8 slot if you can. But by the time you're ready for an overhaul, probably 5 years from now, any CPU or RAM will not work with your current board. Maybe the video card will still work but if you're gaming, you won't want your current card 5 years from now.

I disagree that faster CPUs with more cores are a waste. I have an i7-2600 with hyperthreading and a little CPU monitor gadget that displays it as 8 cores. When I do something CPU intensive, like video rendering, they all get pegged. If I had 8 or 16 real cores, I'd be even happier.

An SSD is great for a boot+apps disk. The 120/128GB SSDs are getting too cheap to ignore. Get a 7200 rpm drive for storing data.

Cases and power supplies are personal preference but I like Antec. I'm currently using a 6 year old Antec case that's on its second motherboard. When I did my last upgrade, I upgraded the power supply and got one with modular cables which really keeps the cable clutter down. Spend more than you think you should on the case and power supply. A good case will last you a long time and not vibrate/resonate. A good power supply will not only give you the power to expand, but it'll contribute to an overall more stable system. Too many people use cheap power supplies, then blame Windows for their instability.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I would stay away from the SSD for now. You don't NEED it for what you want to do and the money that you would spend on it can be added to your video card fund.
Power Supply should be a 650W.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Little to disagree with above. But my adds:

Calculate how much power supply you need using the calculator below. Enter the devices you are likely to use, and add 25-33%.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

I would choose a power supply from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec. Dual fans are not an advantage. Modular cabling is nice, but for me not worth the cost.

A good case is important. A good case is designed for efficient cooling. More fans is not a way to choose a case. Many PC builders run a bunch of big fans and think their system is well designed. Your PC doesn't have to sound like a mainframe to cool your system well. A good case also has easily washable filters for the air intake areas. This minimizes dust buildup. The Antec 300 is a good affordable example. Match intake air flow to exhaust airflow. Cool air in, hot air out. There is no benefit to just stirring around hot air inside a case.

I think blingy (lights, transparent panels, etc.) cases are stupid.

Although the coolers supplied with cpus today are more than adequate, the aftermarket heat pipe units such as Xigmatek or Scythe are quieter and cool even better.

Windows 7 runs very very will on 8Gb.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 AM

I have an antec 300 and love it love it love it. Front fans have a dust screen thing that I can pop off and clean real quick, air flow is nice and it's low-profile (not meaning in size, but in that it's just a clean, black case with no cold cathodes or 24" spinners or something )

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Awww kazyn, you don't like these?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM

LOL, no no I prefer mine made out of old caddy bumpers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers