Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
3 Monitors? 3?
I am a nerdy geek and even I think that's overkill... unless of course you can get CoD or BF3 to span all 3???
I don't span games over mine at all (requires way to much video card power to do it well), but I'm pretty sure both of those will span. When gaming I keep Steam, the Steam Friends window, and Ventrillo on my left monitor, and the game on my center monitor. I don't often need the third, but If I have a walk through or additional app that helps the game I'll throw it on the right monitor.

I'm a programer and during work hours almost always have all three completely populated with something. I find it the most useful when working on web or desktop apps where UI is involved since I can shift the UI components to the right monitor, keep the IDE in the center, and have documentation or notes on the left monitor.

I almost always have at least one Visual Studio instance, Rhapsody, two Word docs, and an Excel spreadsheet running. At some point every day I also have more copies of Visual Studio, Firefox, several Windows Explorer instances, an FTP client, a copy of VS 98, Notepad++, Windows Media, VMWare, Outlook, etc, all running at the same time as well, so it's great to be able to spread things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Yeah, I usually have about 430 things open at a time and two screens, believe it or not, is starting to feel restrictive.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Yeah, I usually have about 430 things open at a time and two screens, believe it or not, is starting to feel restrictive.
I know you were exaggerating or at least, so I hope. Anyhow, learn to keep a tidy desktop otherwise no amount of screens will eventually be enough and then you will ultimately have uber ADD!

I have an average of 3-4 apps running at the most. I close whatever I am not using or will not be needing within the following few minutes, after all most apps take a second to open so why keep them running in the background if they are not in use? No one can truly multi-task, some think they can but all they do is create stress for themselves. Anyway, may be I am getting old or I just like the tidier more practical approach, who knows?

I draw the line at 2 monitors. Even with a 27" monitor at work, I do like having a secondary 24" available for apps/docs I need to see while doing certain tasks on the main monitor but more than 2 would actually hinder my effective usage not to mention occupy too much desk space that I don't even have!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I can totally understand needing 3 monitors for many types of jobs. But I believe Kazyn's setup is his home, i.e. recreational PC.
So he officially has my title as "The Nerdiest nerd that ever nerded."

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I can totally understand needing 3 monitors for many types of jobs. But I believe Kazyn's setup is his home, i.e. recreational PC.
LOL, still wouldn't ever want less than two, even on a recreational only PC.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
No argument here! Heck he might need the 3 separate monitors to be able to reply to 3 different C-D posts simultaneously for all I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
LOL, still wouldn't ever want less than two, even on a recreational only PC.
Really? Min. 2 on a recreational PC? Sounds like you are still doing work! I am using a single 26" full HD Vizio at home and that suits me fine but then again, my nerdy days might be long gone?
I personally wouldn't want less than 1 monitor.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Really? Min. 2 on a recreational PC? Sounds like you are still doing work! I am using a single 26" full HD Vizio at home and that suits me fine but then again, my nerdy days might be long gone?
I personally wouldn't want less than 1 monitor.
I could probably get away with one larger one for many things (as long as I can cleanly split two windows and still see both), but once you launch a full screen app (games) then the second monitors becomes useful for other windows.

I still find it nice to segregate things to different monitors, especially when doing research (for personal things like trips). It's probably just due to having duals at work and home 8 or 9 years now, so you get used to thinking that way. When I don't have them I do miss them (on my laptop for instance).

I know several folks that have duals on their play machines and wouldn't ever go back.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM

LOL! "The Nerdiest nerd that ever nerded" - I'm using that, hahahahaha

Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Also yes this is my home PC, but I have a lot of projects I work on simultaneously......currently I'm remoted into my server, adding boxes for game servers and test boxes for powershell and nagios and that kind of thing, I'm also running a podcast in the background that I'd like to be able to look at every once in a while when they are talking about products or changes to a program or things like this, then I also have 40-50 tabs open at any one time (mostly reddit, TED, verge, gizmodo, jalopnik, autoblog, things like that), not to mention outlook (which I shouldn't have open at home anyway, but I do just in case) and dreamweaver or notepad++ for the sites I'm building / rebuilding ...... I tend to jump around a lot, heh. Two screens is just not enough anymore.

Also when I am gaming it's nice to be able to see stuff like my podcasts/youtube videos I watch, vent or mumble chat, things like that.

Normal people would just close all that crap and do one or two things at a time, but I like having everything up and running so when I have an idea or I remember to do something I can just alt tab to it and go.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM

I think Peregrine hit nail in the head, you are a nerdy nerd from nerdistan!
I could may be understand another app like Ventrilio or TeamSpeak but otherwise I would not want any other windows/apps open while I am gaming like a maniac.
I am like a human motion sensor, ambiance has to be motionless, quite and preferably dark when I am gaming. Any sound or motion/activity would mess my concentration and get me shot/eaten/fall/miss...you get the picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers