Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

I have a copy of a Guitar Pro on my old laptop can I transfer it to my new laptop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Not usually without reinstalling from the original media. Installing a program does more than simply creating a folder and copying files to it. You can try moving its program folder to a new computer and running it. Most likely, it'll complain about missing files and terminate. You can then look for those files on the old computer and copy them to the new one. Keep doing that until it either runs or terminates with some useless error message that gives you no idea how to proceed.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
This is probably the number one question I get when setting up a new drive for people.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Yeah, all that bootlegged software won't copy over. Not directed at the OP, but at all the clients I had that wanted it done. It felt good to tell them I couldn't do it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
topher5150, If there is data associated with the program you should be able to copy it over, but not the program itself. If you reinstall the prog, then copy the data across to the same folders it's in on the old computer it should work.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
topher5150, If there is data associated with the program you should be able to copy it over, but not the program itself. If you reinstall the prog, then copy the data across to the same folders it's in on the old computer it should work.
When moving to a new PC and reinstalling from the CD, I'll copy the program folder over first if I don't know exactly where the data might be mixed into it. Reinstalling then will behave more like a repair and adopt a lot of settings from the old installation. One note: When moving from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system, move the folder from c:\program files\yourprogram to c:\program files (x86)\yourprogram.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
When moving to a new PC and reinstalling from the CD, I'll copy the program folder over first if I don't know exactly where the data might be mixed into it. Reinstalling then will behave more like a repair and adopt a lot of settings from the old installation. One note: When moving from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system, move the folder from c:\program files\yourprogram to c:\program files (x86)\yourprogram.
That would make sense but technically it wouldn't matter unless the application in question had ties to the corresponding registry hive (HKEY_Local_Machine\Software for 64-bit apps opposed to HKEY_Local_Machine\Wow6432Node\Software for 32-bit apps).

Whenever I like an application and would like to include it on my flash drive, I simply do just that, copy the application folder to the flash drive and try to run it on another computer to see what happens. The real complex software that integrates itself deep and/or all over the operating system will most definitely either give an error or not run at all. This is typically due to missing registry keys/file formats, missing files and/or not-registered files and not to forget, due to unsupported system.

Besides the typical "C:\Program Files\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\" directories, some applications also create and use folders they create with same name which can be located at one or more of these locations:

Windows 7:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files" (if it is a 64-bit system)
"C:\ProgramData"
"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local"
"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming"
"C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow"
"C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"

Windows XP:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\" (if it is a 64-bit system)
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\"
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\"
""C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data"

Also, there is a chance certain files/folders might be dropped in user's "My Documents" folder or even in C:\Windows" or in one of its sub folders too.

I have never used Guitar Pro but you will have to do your own research to see what the program does when you install it on a system. Running a registry snapshot tool like RegShot will clue you in on exactly what is happening during the installation process (you run a registry snapshot before you start the installation, then another right after it is completed).
Typically, almost all all registered programs will creates a key at either one of these locations:
Quote:
32-Bit system/32-Bit apps:
- HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\ = For standard application related info, program location, registration/version info, etc.
- HKEY_Current_User\Software\ = If it uses any user customization/configuration settings.

64-Bit system/64-Bit apps:
- HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\ = For standard application related info, program location, registration/version info, etc.
- HKEY_Current_User\Software\ = If it uses any user customization/configuration settings.

64-Bit system/32-Bit apps:
- HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\ = For standard application related info, program location, registration/version info, etc.
You can make most any registered application work by simply exporting its keys from above mentioned locations in the registry then merging them on the target system accordingly. If the program has any proprietary file extensions (formats) that it adds to the registry, you would have to copy them over as well....but at that point things get way too hairy for a novice user hence everyone's logical advice to re-installing the application on the target drive.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Do you have a Mac? They have a "Migration Assistant" that transfers all of your files, including applications, to your new computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers