Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

The MIT professor has some good points.....

Quote:
“The only device that I can remember being as confused by is the BlackBerry PlayBook,” Greenspun wrote on his blog after using Windows 8 on a Dell (DELL) XPS One All-in-One desktop PC. The acclaimed computer scientist noted that Microsoft omitted all of the best features from the most popular touch-focused platforms and instead created a user interface he describes as a “dog’s breakfast.”
Windows 8 criticism: A ‘Christmas gift for someone you hate’ | BGR

Before anyone calls Greenspun an idiot read his bio:

Philip Greenspun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
"Woof". Click click. "Woof woof". Click click click click. "WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!" {Sound of defenestration}

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
He'd probably say the same thing about the new iTunes 11. Huge break in quality and usability.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Took me a few weeks to find a decent laptop that didn't have Windows 8 already installed on it. While I'm sure Windows 8 is great (*ahem*), I'm sure-as-**** not going to support it when this particular user--hardly computer savvy--asks me all these questions on how to make her business software run on it.

I'll stick with what works on this cycle.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
He'd probably say the same thing about the new iTunes 11. Huge break in quality and usability.
Yes someone agrees with me! Jobs would never have let that POS out the door.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Apparently Windows 8 was supposed to hit the market and sell well. Microsoft is in trouble since it hasn't. Most of the feedback has been negative. I'll be good with seven myself.

I think they didn't think this out well enough. For the people who love all the new stuff, its probably okay. For the non tech savy its been a big turn off. To most people, a computer is like a toaster. They use it and know how to get it to do what they need. They don't want to have to take a class to figure that out every few years. Toasters are fancy or simple, but the basic job they do is always east to do.

The other market is the apple followers, who are not buying 8 either. This was a ploy to draw them to microsoft. It isn't working.

I'll post the articles from yahoo but have to hunt for them.

Maybe what they need to do is recognize they have *different* markets and appeal to each with what they want to buy. Ease of use is important in everything else and is STILL important in computers.

But Microsoft may have made the bet they shouldn't have this time.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Yes someone agrees with me! Jobs would never have let that POS out the door.
Steve let the previous 10 versions of iTunes out the door and has always been a POS.

v11 must have been what downloaded for someone the other day. Took me a while to figure it out at all. As bad as iTunes has been over the years, at least the basic UI has been pretty consistent.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Steve let the previous 10 versions of iTunes out the door and has always been a POS.

v11 must have been what downloaded for someone the other day. Took me a while to figure it out at all. As bad as iTunes has been over the years, at least the basic UI has been pretty consistent.
Yeah, and Gates let Windows ME, MSN Messenger, IE6 and Bob out the door.

It comes as no surprise that you would have a hard time figuring out v11.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

I actually rather liked the old itunes (up to v10.7) 11 is awful, because half of the functionality has been removed (ie no gapless option in metadata, no album art in list view, search function crippled.) Apple have been releasing dreadful software for the last couple of years.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Took me a few weeks to find a decent laptop that didn't have Windows 8 already installed on it. While I'm sure Windows 8 is great (*ahem*), I'm sure-as-**** not going to support it when this particular user--hardly computer savvy--asks me all these questions on how to make her business software run on it.

I'll stick with what works on this cycle.
I just bought a new laptop. I decided to hurry while there were still some with Win7. I got a Lenovo Ideapad Z575. So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers