Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times

Advertisements

My 6-year old Vaio laptop is losing screen brightness and apparently replacing the bulb and inverter will cost me about $360.

So I'm thinking of buying a new computer. I hardly ever took my laptop anywhere so I was thinking of a desktop. I'm not into gaming, so just need a computer for internet, word processing, maybe some occasional photoshop, I watch a lot of movies on my computer and want to make sure I can watch TV on it etc. I'm hoping to spend less than $1000.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Literally ANY PC you buy will do all of that better than your current laptop for half your budget. When you say "watch TV" do you mean actually receiving over-the-air or cable/satellite broadcasts, or do you watch TV episodes on Netflix, Hulu, etc?

Unless you get an all-in-one model, desktop PCs have a lot of wires. I recommend getting a wireless mouse and keyboard to eliminate two of them. If you don't need great bass from your speakers, I recommend a Dell Ultrasharp monitor with their sound bar. The sound bar draws power from the monitor and eliminates a few more wires compared to traditional speaker systems.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Literally ANY PC you buy will do all of that better than your current laptop for half your budget. When you say "watch TV" do you mean actually receiving over-the-air or cable/satellite broadcasts, or do you watch TV episodes on Netflix, Hulu, etc?

Unless you get an all-in-one model, desktop PCs have a lot of wires. I recommend getting a wireless mouse and keyboard to eliminate two of them. If you don't need great bass from your speakers, I recommend a Dell Ultrasharp monitor with their sound bar. The sound bar draws power from the monitor and eliminates a few more wires compared to traditional speaker systems.
Thanks for replying. I meant be able to watch a movie that I've downloaded on my TV screen instead of my computer, via an HDMI connection as well as Hulu etc. Right now I only have a VGA connection since the VAIO lacks HDMI output, so the resolution is limited and the movies are not sharp on the TV.

I do own a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I do want great bass. Right now my laptop is hooked up to 3 VAIO speakers including a separate subwoofer. My computer is the main way I listen to music. I'm assuming those speakers would work with any system, not just a VAIO. I also have an external hard drive, a MajicJack, my computer is also hooked up to my TV, printer etc. I have a TON of wires as a result, so I'm used to them.

Aside from the monitor though, if I were to get an all-in-one, would you go with a Dell, and any particular one? What about Acer?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
This Apple iMac Desktop Computer - Buy iMac, the Ultimate All-in-One - Apple Store (U.S.) is slightly more than $1k

And, yes, I am an Apple fanboy.

Last edited by davebarnes; 12-30-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Most desktops today have two outputs. VGA and HDMI are a common combination on models with video on the motherboard. For models with a separate video card, dual DVI is common. DVI can be converted to either HDMI or VGA. So you won't have trouble getting a machine that you can connect both a computer monitor and a TV to.

Your speakers will work with any PC.

Acer makes Gateway and eMachines so I consider those to be all the same.

I don't really have a strong brand preference on PCs. They're all more or less the same for any price point. I've seen ever brand. They all work until they don't. The downside to an all-in-one is that its basically a big laptop. When it breaks, you wind up buying a whole new one. With a traditional tower, something like a dead monitor means you simply plug in a new one.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hey look everybody! Its Rev. Dave here to preach the word of Lord Jobs!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,856 times
I can't imagine wanting a desktop as opposed to a laptop.

I never take mine out of the house either but all over the house.I also watch DL movies on TV through the HDMI port on a number of different TV's I lay my laptop on the floor beside the TV plug in the HDMI cable and watch...how can you do this with a desktop?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
how can you do this with a desktop?
Same way you do with a laptop. My wife's computer happens to be near our TV. I ran an HDMI cable to it for the occasional streaming movie.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
delete

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-30-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This Apple iMac Desktop Computer - Buy iMac, the Ultimate All-in-One - Apple Store (U.S.) is slightly more than $1k

And, yes, I am an Apple fanboy.
You'd have to be for that price.

Quote:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz LGA1155 CPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB PCIe 2.0 SLI
Gigabyte Intel Z77 SLI/CrossFireX ATX MB
Corsair High Perform Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz2x4
CRUCIAL M4 64GB 2.5 SATA 6GB/S SOLID-STATE DRIVE
Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm Fan Twin Pk
ULTRA XBLASTER MID-TOWER CASE V2
ULTRA 550W PSU (LIMITED EDITION) BLK
Throw in two large HDD's and it's still less than $1K..... Mobo specs 14 USB ports including 6 external USB3 ports, 2 internal SATA3 ports, 2 external SATA3 ports, 4 internal SATA2 ports, yada,yada,yada. I even have a display port. Even the high end Macs aren't in the same ball park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers