Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Irfanview is an excellent image utility program but it's not really an editor.
True, but I use it for quick cropping, viewing, and sometimes for various Photoshop plugins it supports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Two issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I never had many photos on my hard drive. This is starting to change. I use Gimp because it is free and I do not need any fancy options (that Photoshop may have).
You have two issues to deal with:
1. managing the photos you have
2. editing these photos

Photoshop is worth it, but can you afford the $600 USD?
Photoshop Elements is $70. Pretty good.

Lightroom is only $125.
My friend, the professional photographer, loves it.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Default Not at full price, no

Unless you're in a job where you can justify the expense (photography, graphic design), photoshop isn't worth the price. If you're looking to manage and develop digital photographs, Lightroom is a better option and is a lot more affordable.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You have two issues to deal with:
1. managing the photos you have
2. editing these photos

Photoshop is worth it, but can you afford the $600 USD?
Photoshop Elements is $70. Pretty good.

Lightroom is only $125.
My friend, the professional photographer, loves it.
Finally someone listed Photoshop Elements. It is a very capable product that combines editing with organization. I do not think most hobbyists need to spend $600 on Photoshop. Buy Elements instead.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I've had Photoshop since it came out. It's definitely worth it if you want to learn it. That's up to you. Professionally it is what I use.

I agree that for home use you could use Photoshop Elements. It's far more affordable. Then you would be on your way to learning it fully. The only thing you can't do with Elements is basically prepare files for full color process printing in CMYK. (unless they have changed that recently)

Picture editor, edit pictures | Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Thanks for the feedback guys. I know from a strictly technical point of view, Gimp has more than what I need. The reason why I am thinking about Photoshop is for the user interface; much easier to use for a beginner. I am sure in time I can learn more advanced options and learn Gimp too. Gimp is not rocket science. However, is Photoshop really that much easier to use? Like I said, I could definitely learn Gimp, but my projects and work are starting to pile up.

As for the finances, if Photoshop Elements is that much easier, I would be willing to buy it for 70 bucks. However, there is no way that I will spend 600 dollars for the pro version (with all its features I would never use) just for an easier user interface.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Finally someone listed Photoshop Elements. It is a very capable product that combines editing with organization. I do not think most hobbyists need to spend $600 on Photoshop. Buy Elements instead.
What I'll suggest is you're going to get more out of something like Photoimpact or Paintshop, those are flagship products and not stripped down versions. Don't let the $29 price tag on Photoimpact fool you, that's a full fledged editor with a ton of great features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers