Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times

Advertisements

My host machine is a Macbook pro. I am using VirtualBox 4.2.12

I have two virtuals that I use. On both of them, I have this:

Adaptor 1
Attached to Internal Network

Adaptor 2
NAT

I am trying to ssh from one to the other. I also want the ability to scp files.

I am getting errors, "no route to host".

Can someone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM

To clarify...

I am trying to ssh or scp from one virtual machine to the other. I have no problem getting stuff to the virtual itself from the host. I have shared folders for that.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
My host machine is a Macbook pro. I am using VirtualBox 4.2.12

I have two virtuals that I use. On both of them, I have this:

Adaptor 1
Attached to Internal Network

Adaptor 2
NAT

I am trying to ssh from one to the other. I also want the ability to scp files.

I am getting errors, "no route to host".

Can someone please help?
So... you saying that you have two adapters for each guest? Or is one guest bridged and the other NAT?

If its the latter, you'll need to configure port forwarding to go from 1 -> 2 (since the natted IP will be invisible otherwise). Albeit 2->1 should work fine.

If its the former, I guess some more info on your network layout would be helpful...i.e. why the need for 2nd adapters (and in NAT). Or make sure your using the bridged IP to do the SSH sessions.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Macroy, you helped me with the first issue...now on to another:

Here is m current setup:

Mac OSX 10.7.5
Ethernet (this isn't plugged in by the way...I am strictly wifi):
IP 10.0.2.23
Mask 255.255.255.0
GW blank

Virtual host (red hat)
IP 10.0.2.22
Mask 255.255.255.0
GW blank

In the settings for the virtual machine, I have this for the adaptor (note that at one time I had an internal network and a NAT one enabled as well...those are disable right now) :
Attached to: Bridge Adaptor
Name (I have tried both p2p0 and also en0 Ethernet)
In the advanced section, I chose 'allow all' under promiscuous mode

For a little background on why I am trying to do what I am doing. There is a certain application on the virtual machine that I need to access. One way I have found around this is to fire up another virtual (an windows 7 machine) and then I can connect to it. I connect to it, because both of those virtuals had an internal network adaptor defined. The problem with this is that I had to keep both virtuals running and it slows my hosts computer. So if I can connect to the virtual with my host computer, it would save a lot of headache.

Any feedback appreciated!!!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Can you clarify the issue? I'm not understanding what the problem is..

Based on the info - the Mac is the host running virtualbox and the Red Hat is the guest VM? Is the issue that you still can't access the app on the VM from the host? Not a Virtualbox person, but I can certainly try to help if its a general network L2/L3 issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers