Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times

Advertisements

what does the BSOD say (Blue Screen of death), most BSOD's are caused by hardware/drivers..have you installed any new hardware recently or new application or both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I "see" the DVD Drive in BIOS and recall something about IDE modes.....I'll see IF I can figure out how to change the mode.

I forgot to ask Turco IF the Recovery Discs would work with another new hard drive...I assume they would rather than having to purchase a new OS Installation disc?????
Typically, the only thing (if that) the vendor specific recovery media checks for is the vendor's own identifier on the motherboard, usually a proprietary chip or BIOS version. Using a different hard drive, power supply, video card, etc. shouldn't matter as long as it is the same motherboard.

Technically and also legally, you can grab someone else Vista DVD and install it onto your machine then use the license number that you purchased to activate it. After all, as long as it is the same exact version of Windows (32-bit Vista, 64-bit 7, etc.) where you obtain the os image is of no concern just as long as you use your own serial # to activate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The static electricity in my old house was so bad I cooked a mouse once, it was like killing a near and dear friend I had for about 7 years. As I went to grab it I saw the charge leap from my finger through the hole around the mouse wheel. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt... it was all over in an instant.

Poor thing, I knew it was done but tried anyway. It did it's duty to the end because the monitor was on but the pointer was lifeless as I tenderly moved my old friend around trying to coax some life into it... <start playing taps>
I just came up with a new saying: "Curiosity killed the cat, thecoalman killed the mouse"
Me likes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's a fantastic cabling job....
Oh yes, it looks like Medusa'a hair. Well, too many wires, some short and stiff plus I had to re-arrange quite a few times so at the end, I got sloppy. Look at it on the bright side, I don't have to kill the mouse, I can just leave the side panel open and trap it!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Yeah, cabling.... Make it nice and neat. Tidy it all up. Use some cable ties to keep it where you want it.

Then have a problem where you have to dig around in there.

And you know what it looks like after that.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, cabling.... Make it nice and neat. Tidy it all up. Use some cable ties to keep it where you want it.

Then have a problem where you have to dig around in there.

And you know what it looks like after that.
Funny thing is, when I did build a system for someone, I made it nice, cables neatly organized, etc. but when it is my own machine, especially one where I modify things often enough, I just let it go...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Funny thing is, when I did build a system for someone, I made it nice, cables neatly organized, etc. but when it is my own machine, especially one where I modify things often enough, I just let it go...
I always spent more time making the inside of a client computer look good. Mine, sorta. Like you I know I'm going to in there tearing it apart so why bother?

I hope the OP is having some success.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
I always spent more time making the inside of a client computer look good. Mine, sorta. Like you I know I'm going to in there tearing it apart so why bother?

I hope the OP is having some success
I was beginning to wonder when we were going to get back to that.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM

I always figure we might as well toss ideas and experiences around until the OP comes back.

If they ever come back. Some do, some don't.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
what does the BSOD say (Blue Screen of death), most BSOD's are caused by hardware/drivers..have you installed any new hardware recently or new application or both?
It's long gone. Something about "System Memory Dump".....I read it very quickly(first time I saw one)....said Restart to avoid damaging Windows. When I restarted computer it would not load Windows.

NO I added no new hardware but did add a new application but it was an updated version of an app I've used for years and I added it a few days before the crash.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Typically, the only thing (if that) the vendor specific recovery media checks for is the vendor's own identifier on the motherboard, usually a proprietary chip or BIOS version. Using a different hard drive, power supply, video card, etc. shouldn't matter as long as it is the same motherboard.

Technically and also legally, you can grab someone else Vista DVD and install it onto your machine then use the license number that you purchased to activate it. After all, as long as it is the same exact version of Windows (32-bit Vista, 64-bit 7, etc.) where you obtain the os image is of no concern just as long as you use your own serial # to activate it.

I just came up with a new saying: "Curiosity killed the cat, thecoalman killed the mouse"
Me likes!

Oh yes, it looks like Medusa'a hair. Well, too many wires, some short and stiff plus I had to re-arrange quite a few times so at the end, I got sloppy. Look at it on the bright side, I don't have to kill the mouse, I can just leave the side panel open and trap it!
Where would I find the original serial number I used to activate/register Windows...it was 64 Bit VISTA????

Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I hope the OP is having some success.
I've learned a lot and THANK everyone trying to help.

I have enough confidence now to reopen desktop and check wires to hard drive.

From what I can understand it's either the drive...or corrupted OS.....one tech at another site thought the drive may be full and I need to "erase" main drive but before crash I had 300 GB's free space so I don't think it could be that.

I suppose it may be a problem with DVD drive but that only explains why recovery disc won't function and not why it won't boot up.

I'll open computer tomorrow and see if there are any loose wires....and keep posters informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers