Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times

Advertisements

You've already spent more trying to fix it that it is worth, you know that right?

If it was the heat of the CPU, you'd be able to go into the BIOS and check the temp right there.

There isn't supposed to be a lot of thermal compound on the CPU between it and the fan/heat sink. It is supposed to be a very thin coating, just enough to tack up between the cpu and heat ink/fan. Putting on more makes any existing problem worse.

Try this, turn the PC on but don't boot into Windows. Let it sit running something from a bootable CD/DVD or flash drive. If the problem goes away, it isn't a heat problem, it is software.

Go download something like Linux Mint or something like that. It is free, super easy to use and doesn't access the operating system on the hard drive.

First determine if the problem is hardware or software before spending time and money chasing gremlins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
Don in Austin, I hope the motherboard isn't fried. It's more than I'm willing to pay. I'd have to trash the computer.

Mack Knife, but does it matter if the thermal paste isn't sticking? Doesn't that mean it's worn down and ineffective?

Also, not booting windows still doesn't work. It will still shut off on the boot screen.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
If you reapply the thermal compound , you need to clean off the old caked on stuff, you need a certain level of alcohol, I think 90%.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Have you actually looked at the CPU fan to make sure it was spinning? I had situation where a fan wire was out of place and just enough to catch a blade preventing it from spinning.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Remove the video card, disconnect the DVD drive, Hard Drive, disconnect all fans except for the processor fan and remove the ram.Also leave the side cover off. Does it stay on? If not, you have a failed motherboard.

As a side note: Never take anything to Geek Squad.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 04-29-2014 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I would suspect RAM at this point. Along Pruzhany's idea, remove all the RAM and then put just one chip back in.
If that works, add another. and so on.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,726 times
lt may not be a hardware issue. I have run into malware, spyware, registry errors that sometimes does this as a side effect. You don't get the BSOD and instead the computer just shuts off.

Have you tried running the computer in safemode and see if it shuts off? If run in safe mode and it doesn't turn off for a day then it's likely something software related and I recommened you run malwarebytes in safe mode along with other utilities to see if it is a registry problem.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Pruzhany, I unplugged everything but the motherboard. When I turned the computer on, the computer light turned yellow and kept beeping 6 times in a row until it shut off. I noticed the CPU fan ran normally for 2 seconds then went into overdrive until the computer shut off. I took the heatsink off and noticed the processor was extremely hot to touch.

d from birmingham, starting in safe mode doesn't make a difference. It will still shut off in the same amount of time it does in normal mode.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Pruzhany, I unplugged everything but the motherboard. When I turned the computer on, the computer light turned yellow and kept beeping 6 times in a row until it shut off. I noticed the CPU fan ran normally for 2 seconds then went into overdrive until the computer shut off. I took the heatsink off and noticed the processor was extremely hot to touch.

d from birmingham, starting in safe mode doesn't make a difference. It will still shut off in the same amount of time it does in normal mode.
Wait, you took the heatsink off? Did you apply new thermal compound to it?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Wait, you took the heatsink off? Did you apply new thermal compound to it?
No, I haven't bought it yet. I had to remove the heatsink to change out the power supply before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers