Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times

Advertisements

If the processor is building up that much heat within a few moments, than a motherboard capacitor is blown. The motherboard and processor are definitely passed saving at this point. The 6 beeps is from the memory slots. If excessive power has been going to your other components, then I would not recycle any of the parts into another computer. If there is anything important on your hard drive then go to ebay and order an external enclosure for it. If you need another computer in a pinch, then go to Staples.com and there is a $100 off clearance computers coupon (click on deals) there for use in stores only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Pruzhany, I unplugged everything but the motherboard. When I turned the computer on, the computer light turned yellow and kept beeping 6 times in a row until it shut off. I noticed the CPU fan ran normally for 2 seconds then went into overdrive until the computer shut off. I took the heatsink off and noticed the processor was extremely hot to touch.

d from birmingham, starting in safe mode doesn't make a difference. It will still shut off in the same amount of time it does in normal mode.
The beeps tells you what error is occuring. Look up the motherboard BIOS manufactorer. Computer POST and beep codes

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
He disconnected a lot of stuff AND THEN got beep codes.
Don't waste time on the beep codes. That is not the issue.

Try the RAM thing please.

I have no idea why you had to remove the Processor heatsink to replace the Power Supply. You should NOT have to do that. And the processor will ALWAYS be hot to the touch. That is NOT abnormal.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
He disconnected a lot of stuff AND THEN got beep codes.
Don't waste time on the beep codes. That is not the issue.

Try the RAM thing please.

The beep codes are from removing the RAM. So thus we know the BIOS is still functional. Even if the OP puts in the RAM a stick at a time, it will have the same results except there will be no beeps. The BIOS is sensing out of range voltage and hence its shutting down the system in an attempt to save the connected components.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Download and install Core Temp

It will tell you what your CPU temperature is.

Real Temp is another very good CPU temperature program, which also creates a log of the temperatures.

Both of the above programs are free.

Chances are, your CPU is overheating, and needs to be taken out of the motherboard, cleaned with alcohol, and put back in using thermal paste.

The above temperature utilities will let you see how high the CPU temperature was before it shut down.

When you apply the paste to the CPU and the Heatsink (I personally like Artic Silver paste), follow the instructions very carefully. You only use a very small amount of paste.

You can see instructions for how to apply Artic Silver thermal paste here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_ap...n_method.html#

Since you have an I7 processor, just click on the instructions link for Vertical Line, next the I7.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-29-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Download and install Core Temp

It will tell you what your CPU temperature is.

Real Temp is another very good CPU temperature program, which also creates a log of the temperatures.

If the computer will not stay powered on with nothing connected to it, how exactly will the OP be able to run this?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If the computer will not stay powered on with nothing connected to it, how exactly will the OP be able to run this?
He originally stated in his OP it would stay on for 3 minutes:

Quote:
As of now I'm lucky if the computer starts up completely and stays on for more than 3 minutes. Usually it will freeze on the Windows startup screen and then shutdown. If I don't try to turn the computer on for a few hours it has a greater chance of starting up for a few minutes. I'm completely lost here.
But you are correct that he might not have enough time to install the Core Temp program before the shutdown happens.

So in that case, he should look at his CPU temps in his BIOS, and see what they reach when the shutdown occurs.

It still sounds like a CPU heat issue, especially since he can run the computer for longer periods when it has a chance to cool down for a few hours.

Another thing the OP can try, is he can leave the side panel off when he turns the computer on, and try blowing a powerful household fan directly into the open case, and aim it at the CPU (with heatsink and CPU fan properly attached).

Then see if the computer stays on for a longer period.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-29-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM

589 posts, read 696,557 times
So I applied the coolant today. After I did it the computer kept resetting whenever it reached the windows startup screen until it shut off. The graphics card also sounded like a lawnmower and static noises were coming from it.

Then I tried starting without ram and it still shut off. However, now the computer won't recognize the ram when I put it in again. Thus it won't boot at all anymore. The more I fiddle and try to fix the computer, the worse it performs. It's time to accept the computer is just messed up.

What I want to know is what parts should I save when I'm throwing out the computer? If I tried to use the current ram, power supply, and graphic card on a new computer, would it fry the new computer too? Since apparently this computer is damaged, does that mean I should throw out the whole computer? Or should I just try to buy another motherboard (I found a refurbished one for $80)?

Last edited by Den0190; 04-29-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
So I applied the coolant today. After I did it the computer kept resetting whenever it reached the windows startup screen until it shut off. The graphics card also sounded like a lawnmower and static noises were coming from it.

Then I tried starting without ram and it still shut off. However, now the computer won't recognize the ram when I put it in again. Thus it won't boot at all anymore. The more I fiddle and try to fix the computer, the worse it performs. It's time to accept the computer is just messed up.

What I want to know is what parts should I save when I'm throwing out the computer? If I tried to use the current ram, power supply, and graphic card on a new computer, would it fry the new computer too? Since apparently this computer is damaged, does that mean I should throw out the whole computer? Or should I just try to buy a new motherboard?
As I stated earlier, salvage nothing into another computer. As you can now tell by your video card acting up you now know you have a power problem somewhere on the motherboard. Save your hard drive and stick it into a cheap external case if you need data from it.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM

589 posts, read 696,557 times
Pruzhany, you can't salvage anything? Even the memory cards? I ask this again because I've spent thousands of dollars on this computer. To say that nothing but the harddrive can be salvaged is really depressing.

Wouldn't it be better to buy the replacement motherboard for $100 to try to get the computer working again before I throw everything out?

Last edited by Den0190; 04-29-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers