Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times

Advertisements

when i try to put my computer into sleep mode, it always wakes back up instantly and never stays in sleep mode unless i unplug the modem. any way around this? i need to save $$$ on electricity. it's an hp and i have vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
When it wakes back up instantly? When you touch it?
Try this:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-out-...ws-sleep-mode/

or this:
Press your Windows key and R at the same time, then in the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter (or click on Start and type msconfig there).
Click the StartUp tab and look for anything you think might revert your settings changes on a restart, and untick it. So long as you don't untick your AV and firewall, everything else could go with no great loss. Click Apply.

On Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft, click Apply and OK.
Restart and set your sleep settings, restart again and see if they remain the way you want them.

BTW: I have an opposite problem. My doesn't want to wake up from sleep mode!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When it wakes back up instantly? When you touch it?
Try this:
Find out what program is interrupting Windows Sleep mode - CNET

or this:
Press your Windows key and R at the same time, then in the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter (or click on Start and type msconfig there).
Click the StartUp tab and look for anything you think might revert your settings changes on a restart, and untick it. So long as you don't untick your AV and firewall, everything else could go with no great loss. Click Apply.

On Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft, click Apply and OK.
Restart and set your sleep settings, restart again and see if they remain the way you want them.

BTW: I have an opposite problem. My doesn't want to wake up from sleep mode!
well obviously I don't touch it after it goes into sleep mode.

I will try that, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
I'd guess that Wake On Lan is the cause, but you can actually "ask" Windows what the last wake was caused by:

From the Start Menu, type "cmd", and the select cmd.exe that shows up at the top of the list:
In the cmd window, type:

powercfg -lastwake

That will produce a list showing what woke the computer.

Reply back with that list, and we can probably narrow it down dramatically.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 PM

yup, it was my network.

all i did was go into device manager, went into network adapters>rightclick properties>power management>uncheck allow this device to wake up computer.

thanks for the help

Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
well obviously I don't touch it after it goes into sleep mode.

I will try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Well, depends what kind of computer. I have touch screen and my wakes up when I touch it

I am happy that you were able to fix the problem!!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
Maybe your keyboard or mouse is broken. computer will wake back up when your keyboard or mouse is not idle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers