Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:59 AM

268 posts, read 290,340 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question, I don't know, but in your experience/opinion are women very prevalent and welcome in, say, community college programs in programming, CIS, security? Rare? Hard on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
I don't think it's sexist. Women in general just seem to not be as interested in fields like computer programming as guys.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM

What I'm asking is, for those women who do go into this field, is the environment sexist? Are there usually problems because there are relatively fewer women.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I wouldn't imagine there would be any problems.

I majored in a male-dominated subject (physics) and work in an extremely male-dominated industry. The females that are in the field are treated just like everyone else. I don't see why it would be any different in CS.

The image of science/computer fields as a bunch of horny sexist nerds who can't interact with a woman is pretty much entirely fictional.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I wouldn't imagine there would be any problems.

I majored in a male-dominated subject (physics) and work in an extremely male-dominated industry. The females that are in the field are treated just like everyone else. I don't see why it would be any different in CS.
Interesting that you say this, yet your name is Jason...

I might suggest, without being too PC, that due to "male privilege", you have no idea what kinds of things women might deal with in your place of work because you don't see it.

PS, I'm male too, but I think you should let an actual woman answer this question. Just as a white person (which I also am) can't understand what it's like to be a black person trying to hail a cab at night, a male in science can't really know what it's like to be a woman scientist or programmer around mostly men. The sexism does not have to be (and hopefully never is) covert, but often much more subtle.

I personally work in tech and see no different treatment of co-workers based on gender, but then I probably would not notice it if there were--that's what "privilege" is.

Regarding a programming class, I would suspect that more sexism would come from classmates than any institutionalized bias or from the instructor, but again, I'm not the one who would notice as much as a woman would.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Interesting that you say this, yet your name is Jason...
What has the name "Jason" have to do with anything he has said? Just curious, because the meaning of "Jason" in Greek is "healing."

I might suggest, without being too PC, that due to "male privilege", you have no idea what kinds of things women might deal with in your place of work because you don't see it.
The OP din't ask questions only to females in this public forum; did she?

PS, I'm male too, but I think you should let an actual woman answer this question. Just as a white person (which I also am) can't understand what it's like to be a black person trying to hail a cab at night, a male in science can't really know what it's like to be a woman scientist or programmer around mostly men. The sexism does not have to be (and hopefully never is) covert, but often much more subtle.
There are some places around the US that taxi drivers won't stop for anybody. Also, since the OP did not ask the question to "women" only, Jason has not done anything wrong. In fact his answers are straight forward and correct, at least in this forum. Perhaps the OP should have asked the question at a women's forum (?).
I personally work in tech and see no different treatment of co-workers based on gender, but then I probably would not notice it if there were--that's what "privilege" is.
Good points that reflect some of the things Jason said

Regarding a programming class, I would suspect that more sexism would come from classmates than any institutionalized bias or from the instructor, but again, I'm not the one who would notice as much as a woman would.
I imagine that a woman, or even a man, would notice "sexism" if that person goes about life trying to see only such.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
Programming is strange. I had about 1 women in each programming class of 30-40 student. But now that I work in the industry all my bosses are women.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yes, schools usually employ big, mean, very violent, very hairy guys to scream at any and all women who dare to enter a programming course!

Geeesh, is this a serious question?????

Old 12-31-2014, 08:57 AM

It is a serious question. But if you're guilty of that kind of stupidity, yourself, and don't want to raise your awareness of it, it is natural that you would respond like that.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
They really don't have any merit being sexist against women. Women played a large role in programming. The first computer programmer was a woman. The lead programmer on Apollo missions was a woman (later, director of software development).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers