Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,613 times

Advertisements

I would like to bring my computer tower since I am going to be away
from home for possible long time of up to half a year. It's a no brainer
I know. Just pack it well in a suitcase. I just wonder if anyone has
done this or has any tips. I suppose bringing on board in the cabin
would be best. I have to go through customs as well since it will be
from Canada to U.S. A 3,000 mile flight with possible transfer along
the way, groan. I figure on just buying a secondhand monitor once I am
in the U.S. I wish I had a laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
According to the TSA web site only laptop computers are permitted to be in carry-on luggage in the US.

Maybe you could carry-on the hard drive and put the case and everything else in checked luggage?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,612,974 times
I would ship it to myself. If you check it in baggage it is exempted from any tarriff coverage. They loose it, break it, crush it, etc....tough luck, so sad, Next!

I am not sure that the TSA web data actually indicates that only laptops are permitted as carryon as Bowie indicated, it only specifically addresses laptops and does not mention the terms only, nor does it exclude desktop electronics in the text.

It is more likely that it was omitted as it is not something most would consider carrying on and in many cases would be too large to fit inside a carry on case. 22" x 16" x 9" maximum overall.

If you ship it via USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.. it will be insured and more likely to arrive intact.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,613 times
Thanks, Bowie and Johnrex62, I'll check the price of shipping but if it's too pricey I might just take the hard drive out and pack it well into a suitcase to be checked in.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I am not sure that the TSA web data actually indicates that only laptops are permitted as carryon as Bowie indicated, it only specifically addresses laptops and does not mention the terms only, nor does it exclude desktop electronics in the text.

It is more likely that it was omitted as it is not something most would consider carrying on and in many cases would be too large to fit inside a carry on case. 22" x 16" x 9" maximum overall.
I was thinking components of desktop computers would be more likely to be rejected by the TSA screeners because the cards have sharp corners and could have sharpened edges. Best not to find this out while you're standing in the security line at the terminal. The hard drive seems like a component they shouldn't object to, and it's likely to be one that other people who fly use routinely to transport data.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,017,053 times
I agree with johnrex62, ship it to your destination via UPS or FedEx.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,508,012 times
Sell it and get a laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers