Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have one of these? If so, are you happy with it? Would it take me awhile to get used to it? I have a new Toshiba laptop, but it has slowed down and not happy with it. I am thinking of taking it back and getting this Apple below.

I have iPad (one of the originals), but as far as daily use, I have always used Windows and most recently Windows 8. Does this Apple computer basically work like the I-pad does? I have one of those.

Thanks!

Apple, Inc ME086LLA - Best Buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have been a Mac user for years now. When I was in college I was advised to make the switch as I was studying graphic design and was told it would be a better fit. I was nervous about it as the Macs are more expensive and I wasn't sure if I would be able to figure it out. My concern was spending so much money and not understanding how to use it. I can say it took me all of 20 minutes to comfortably navigate the system and I haven't gone back to a windows machine since.

You can create a partition and run windows on the Mac if you like. I have had MacBooks and iMacs both. I have given family members my old macs after years of owning them and they are still getting use out of them. I don't think you will regret the decision. IMO, I think they last longer than any of the windows PCs I owned.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Yes, I have a 21.5" iMac. I think it's the same model. I love it. With cloud and the latest operating systems on the iPad and iPhone everything all ties in. Cloud is dandy.

Yes, I spent more for everything. I am very glad I did. I have an older laptop/tablet combo that runs vista. I don't use often. I'm always using in iPad and iMac.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 PM

Thanks so much for the replies thus far.

I have an original iPad, but rarely used it.

I now have a Toshiba laptop that I bought on 12/31/14. It is my first laptop. I have always had desktops in the past. I loved this one at first, it was lightning fast and the screen is very clear/crisp, but it has taken sometime to get used to the 15.6 inch screen, as I am used to 23 inch screens.

Well I installed Webroot that came with the laptop from best buy and it started to slow down. Websites were slow to load and the thing bogged down, even on Facebook. It has the i7 processor and 12gb memory. I wasn't sure what happened, but I was displeased, which is when I cam here and asked about the Apple, as I have three more days to exchange this if I want to.

Well some friends told me to remove the webroot, which I did, but it didn't help. Some said to "refresh" it which I just did and now it is lightning fast again! It said when I refreshed that it was going to remove webroot, so it must not have uninstalled when I thought it did. Well now that it is working fine again, I don't know if I should just keep this or take back and get the Apple iMac I posted above. Some friends say get the Apple, some say keep what I have.

I am going to call Best Buy tomorrow and see if I have to have the webroot in to keep my 2 year warranty. If so, I am going to take this back and exchange.

Below is what I have now.

Toshiba Radius 2in1 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 12GB Memory 256GB Solid State Drive P55W-B5318 - Best Buy

Strange my i7 processor says it has a 2.0 speed processor, but the Apple has the i5 processor and has a 2.7 speed processor. They told me the i7 was faster and that the higher speed, the faster it was.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-11-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
That thing is pretty fast. Much faster than the iMac you linked to above. Faster processing speed, more RAM, and it has an SSD. Hardware-wise, the iMac is not in the same ballpark at all.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks. Well I need something fast, so maybe I should keep what I have.

Strange though, it has the i7 processor (mine) but says the processor is 2.0 ghz... it shows the Apple has the i5 processor, but has a 2.7 ghz. I thought that the higher the ghz, the faster it was? It says mine has a Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, but not sure how you get that.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

Strange though, it has the i7 processor (mine) but says the processor is 2.0 ghz... it shows the Apple has the i5 processor, but has a 2.7 ghz. I thought that the higher the ghz, the faster it was? It says mine has a Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, but not sure how you get that.
The i5 is faster, but only has 4 processor cores. The i7 has 8 processor cores, so it doesn't have to be as fast, as it can do twice as many things at once.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

They'll put lower frequency processors in laptops for improved battery life. The boost is automatic. It is hard to say which processor will be faster for your specific needs but chances are, the computer with the ssd will feel like the faster computers. Sometimes more threads are faster than frequency speeds, sometimes not. Both computer will be ample fast for your web browsing, car forums, and craigslist.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I've got an iMac - had it for almost 5 years. It runs like new! I'll never go back to Windows.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM

Thanks! Well this Toshiba has really sped back up since I have done the refresh, I am happy with that part of it as long as it stays like that, but now I am wondering if I can get used to this 15.6 screen. I am used to 23+ screens. The Apple imac I posted above is a desktop and has a 21.5 screen. I have a lot of people saying not to get apple (some friends) and some saying get it, lol.

I hate to take this back, then end up regretting it. lol. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers