Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

The HP laptop that was purchased in 2008 with the much hated Windows Vista is finally dying a slow death. DH is not happy when gmail changes the color or layoout of his screen, or an app on his smart phone gets updated and changed - so getting a whole new laptop with another operating system is going to be painful (for both of us!).

He uses the laptop for email, online poker and gin, reading the news, listening to radio stations (with headphones!!! Very important), buying stuff on Amazon, and doing some research/reading, and some light photo editing on Picassa. He rarely uses MS Word and Excel, and saves very little to his hard drive.

He does not want a tablet (been there, tried that), and I don't think a touchscreen will be all that appealing to him. Obviously, since he uses the thing for very low tech stuff, we want to keep the price down. As a senior citizen, a larger screen is a requirement.

So - suggestions are requested. My biggest concern is what operating system he will end up with (No, we are not switching the Apple products).

Another alternative would be for me to get a new computer and give him my 2010 Samsung which I have used and abused and dearly loved, with Windows 7 (which I also like). I use the laptop MUCH more than he does, including using Word, Excel, and I really need to get MS publisher or something like that again. And I keep tons of stuff on the hard drive, including photos, music and our legal/financial documents. I'm also not too keen on a touch screen laptop, and already have a tablet for casual use. I would spend more money on a new one for me, but with age of the Samsung, I'm not sure this route makes sense.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Do not get him anything with Windows 8. It will confuse the hell out of him and he'll hate it. I hate it and I'm very computer-savvy and can adapt to changes. Having my start menu be un-organized and large and on a whole 'nother screen is ludicrous!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Do not get him anything with Windows 8. It will confuse the hell out of him and he'll hate it. I hate it and I'm very computer-savvy and can adapt to changes. Having my start menu be un-organized and large and on a whole 'nother screen is ludicrous!
Or install a free tool to restore the normal start menu.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Windows 8.1 is a must upgrade for Windows 8 user. It makes a huge difference.

You can organize the tiles as you wish... but I don't see the point. It wouldn't save you any time. One of the benefits of Windows 8 is how much faster it is at finding your programs.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
If you're going to go with a Windows laptop, I highly recommend you look at ThinkPads.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There are still a lot of laptops around with Windows 7, which is almost indistinguishable from Vista. I never thought Vista had all that much of a learning curve, for just basic browsing. I haaven't see the 8.1, but just be sure you don't get a Windows-8 POS.

I got a Windows 7 Dell Latitude 4 months ago, for $139. I couldn't tell it from new, and it worked perfectly right out of the factory box, but I guess if you order a refurb, it's a bit of a crapshoot. But at those kinds of prices, the worst you can do it learn from the experience and move on, and save the clunker for an emergency backup some day.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Go to a local store like Intrex Computers.
http://www.intrex.com/Locations.htm
You may pay a couple of bucks more, but they will support you and have multiple locations around the Triangle.

Take his current laptop along, and tell them what you like about it, and what you want to avoid.
I usually pop into the one on Maynard for quick purchase of odds and ends, and find them easy to talk to..

Old 03-25-2015, 08:12 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
If you have a brick and mortar TigerDirect store in your area, go see what kind of deals they have. They're getting ready to close all of the B&M stores and go back to strictly online, so there are quite a few clearance deals going on at the local level.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Thanks guys.

What about getting him a Chromebook? He's comfortable using chrome as a browser (after I imported all his Firefox bookmarks, passwords,etc). I'm thinking that might be an easy, cheap solution.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks guys.

What about getting him a Chromebook? He's comfortable using chrome as a browser (after I imported all his Firefox bookmarks, passwords,etc). I'm thinking that might be an easy, cheap solution.
Chromebook is severely limiting, but might not be in your case.
for example, you have no opiton besides using the Chrome browser, and there are many other kinds of software that cannot be installed.. And there is no storage for personal file, they have to be sent to a cloud. But it might be ideal for a user with very simplistic and undemanding browsing needs.

I have a friend who bought a Chromebook, and was perfectly contented with it, until I suggested that he do some specific things to enhance his online experience, and he (and I) then discovered is limitations.

My local Best Buy doesn't even stock them, because they had so many dissatisfied customers who brought them back with unfulfilled expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers