Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM

138 posts, read 468,628 times

Advertisements

Do we have a computer nerd in the group?? I sure hope so, as I do not know what to do,(have not found an answer by Google,etc)- when I want to watch a short video clip, it starts out fine, but only runs for about 1-2 seconds, then 'freezes', runs again, freezes again- this continues, so I am only seeing a second or two at a time. I do not have much downloaded, so I have lots of space. I use my computer to just play around- look at forums such as this, look around the web for stuff- any suggestions? Thank you. Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 05:02 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Do you have a firewall? That could be what is blocking your viewing.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Are you on dial-up? Speed matters for some types of downloads.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Are these video clips on the Internet or from a Media Card used with a digital
camera? When we sometimes play a video from a Media Card, the same thing happens....stops, starts, etc. until we save it to our computer and play it. Then it comes out fine.
We use both Real Player and Windows Media Player for our short video clips.
We also have a fast Processor in our computer, plus DSL. That could be your problem also.........too slow of a Processor and Dial-Up connection.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,088 times
could be a problem with your graphics card.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:42 PM

OK- I have satellite dish. I have had the problem from different sites- You Tube, and I don't know the names of the others. I don;t know if I use Media Player or what- unfortunately I don't know enough to know what I have! I have an Acer- it is about 5 months old. What is a graphics card, and how do I check it, please?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
OK- I have satellite dish. I have had the problem from different sites- You Tube, and I don't know the names of the others. I don;t know if I use Media Player or what- unfortunately I don't know enough to know what I have! I have an Acer- it is about 5 months old. What is a graphics card, and how do I check it, please?
Please understand that I am not tring to be offensive here but if you don't know what it is, then it is best that you take your computer in and have them check it. Or perhaps you can call the Geek Squad in for instance to come to your home and see what the problem is. My son is a Tech Bench Supervisor and sees so much damage done to computers by people who do not understand the technology trying to fix issues themselves..

Old 01-20-2007, 05:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
As far as YouTube is concerned, you have to wait for the videos to finish buffering. In othe words, you know how when that line at the bottom turns red as you play the video and become more red the further along in the video you are? Well, before you play the video, that whole line should be yellow which indicates that the entire video has been buffered and is now ready to be played uninterrupted. Ideally, you can press play and the buffering works faster than the action meaning that it buffs while you're watching it and there will be no freezes, but for some videos this isn't the case (this has to do less with your own computer and more to do with the computer of who uploaded the video and how they uploaded it) so you may want to stop the video or click pause in the beginning and wait for it to finish buffing before you start playing. This holds true not just for YouTube but for most other streaming videos that you watch on the internet.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 PM

DullandBoring- Thanks- I will try that, as I know what you are talking about. Compltlyme- No offense taken, definately! I may have done something to slow it down, but I cannot get a Geek, as I live in a very remote rural town where there are no such things! I wish!! We don't have much in the way of stores here. Maybe I can get through to the manufacturer, but I have found that sometimes the online help is just reading from a script, and doesn't know much more than I do!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
dc53:
You still didn't answer the question in my reply......what kind of video clip are you trying to watch???????
Video clip from the Internet
or
Video clip from a Media Card from a digital camera
Question: How old is your computer? If you have an "old" computer with an "old" Processor and an "old" Graphics Card.......that could very well be your problems right there. Our entire computer setup is only one year old. The only video clip problem we have is when we go to look at a video clip from our digital camera media card. But, after I save the video clip to our hard drive, I have no problem looking at it. Video clips from the Internet, we have no problem looking at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers