Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,126 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to get an IT job in the public sector?

Are there any tips, tricks, and websites where they post Government IT Jobs?

Im posting on this forum because I guess most IT pros would be on this forum

Im looking to get an IT job but with the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
I'm not in IT, but I suspect that getting a public sector job in IT isn't any different than getting a public sector job in any other field. You just have to locate the job openings and apply.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT9384 View Post
How hard is it to get an IT job in the public sector?

Are there any tips, tricks, and websites where they post Government IT Jobs?

Im posting on this forum because I guess most IT pros would be on this forum

Im looking to get an IT job but with the government.
I might be able to shed some light on this, since I've worked on the state level in IT in some capacity for the past 10+ years. The state level jobs are not difficult to obtain - especially if you're looking at entry level. In fact, many of our system administrators got their start in desktop support. I started off working for a state mental health agency, and then went to work for a technical college just a year ago. I've learned a massive amount of stuff in just a short while at the college - it's fantastic!

Now, working for the government on the state level is not going to make you wealthy. In fact, more times than not, state "government" jobs pay pretty lousy, but it's the other benefits that tend to make up for what you don't get with actual pay. Some state jobs pay all of your insurance and will be generous with matching your contributions to your 403b state retirement. And often times, once you've put 20 years in with the state, you can retire with full retirement even if you're not 65. I know of those who have put in 20 years with the state and retired in their early 50's. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them since my bulk of experience with the state consists of two different states, so I'm kind of SOL on that. But, I digress....

Working with the government, particular schools, means that you get off for pretty much ever major holiday, and often times a good chunk of time off during Christmas. And if you live in an area where they tend to close school for winter weather, then you have a paid day off.

My best advice to you would be to find a technical community college close by that relies heavily on IT. Most schools that are "technical" schools are going to put a lot of emphasis on their technical infrastructure, which means it relies heavily on a fully staffed IT department, and that the said IT department is going to offer a great deal of on the job experience that will be extremely valuable. You can usually apply for those jobs on the school's website.

Now, the pros and cons:

Pros: State benefits, most major holidays off, day off if school is closed because of snow, possibility of early full retirement, technical schools offering a massive amount of valuable IT experience/training that you don't always get in the private sector. Also, it's not a high stress competitive thing. Often times, if you leave one state job for another with another school or agency, your state benefits travel with you and you don't lose your time you've put in with the state.

Cons: You're pay is going to be much less with the state than the private sector. If you leave the state and go to work for another state, you're benefits don't go with you and you have to start all over again with a new state. With some colleges, you can't take off vacation around the time when the schools have their major registration times.

One more thing I'll say about the salaries. Yes, they are usually lower than those in the private sector, but when you compare how many days out of the year someone working for a private company has to work, it tends to even things out a bit. Out of all the vacation days I get off in addition to any snow days our college has, I probably work a month and a half less days than someone in the private sector. And that's not me counting the annual leave days I use (which I accrue throughout the year.)

I hope this wasn't too wordy, but I wanted to give you a good idea as to how it is working for the government on a state level. The federal level is probably much more profitable, but those jobs aren't as accessible as state jobs.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
I've worked at a school district for the past 10+ years as well and I can pretty much echo what skinsguy said.

I'll add that certain jobs are tough to come by because there's so much competition. At least in California.

I'm making OK money now I have a couple of pay "steps" left. In addition to our unions bargaining agreement we'll get an OK raise, and since I've been there for 10+ years I get another raise.

However in the private sector I would be making a lot more. But its also a double edged sword, I could have been laid off and been on and off unemployment as well.

Networking and doing a good job is still a good thing to do, however with unions there are more than a few people who take advantage and just punch in and out and that's it. But that's another topic entirely.

Anyway, retirement and benefits are the main reasons for jobs like this, a bit lower stress and a lot of paid time off. I work 9-5 and will for the rest of my life. I work a bit of overtime, but its almost always voluntary.

It's tough to see when you're young, but after you put your years in you're set for the rest of your life. Anything else you save is gravy.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I've worked at a school district for the past 10+ years as well and I can pretty much echo what skinsguy said.

I'll add that certain jobs are tough to come by because there's so much competition. At least in California.

I'm making OK money now I have a couple of pay "steps" left. In addition to our unions bargaining agreement we'll get an OK raise, and since I've been there for 10+ years I get another raise.

However in the private sector I would be making a lot more. But its also a double edged sword, I could have been laid off and been on and off unemployment as well.

Networking and doing a good job is still a good thing to do, however with unions there are more than a few people who take advantage and just punch in and out and that's it. But that's another topic entirely.

Anyway, retirement and benefits are the main reasons for jobs like this, a bit lower stress and a lot of paid time off. I work 9-5 and will for the rest of my life. I work a bit of overtime, but its almost always voluntary.

It's tough to see when you're young, but after you put your years in you're set for the rest of your life. Anything else you save is gravy.
Thats why I prefer the public sector but Im mostly trying to get into a computer tech/desktop support/ help desk role in the public sector.

Im not sure how hard these roles are to snag but I live in Los Angeles CA at least from what I heard my friends don't stay in roles like that too long but I would like a 9 to 5 tech job.

How can I find IT jobs in the public sector? are there any specific sites for jobs like a computer tech ?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Edjoin.org,

https://www.governmentjobs.com

Also look at school districts and city websites; community colleges in the area.

I applied to Mt. Sac, Rio Hondo College, Occidental college, Fullerton college and CSUF. Just check the jobs/hr page.

I would recommend some schooling/certifications, like get your A+/N+ If you can and try to get some sort of experience under your belt if you currently don't have any.

Lastly, most city/schools here will have a test you'll need to pass, sometimes multiple tests then a couple of interviews.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Edjoin.org,

https://www.governmentjobs.com

Also look at school districts and city websites; community colleges in the area.

I applied to Mt. Sac, Rio Hondo College, Occidental college, Fullerton college and CSUF. Just check the jobs/hr page.

I would recommend some schooling/certifications, like get your A+/N+ If you can and try to get some sort of experience under your belt if you currently don't have any.

Lastly, most city/schools here will have a test you'll need to pass, sometimes multiple tests then a couple of interviews.

Good luck.
Thanks for the Advice

What kind of test?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 PM

The types of questions/tests varies. They usually pertain to the job. Things like "soft skills"; how to deal with clients/customers to actual technical things like how you would solve a certain computer issue. Some are/can be easy multiple choice questions like: point out where the RAM is on the motherboard. Or it might even be a bit more obtuse like: how many pins does DDR 3 have?

The A+ test is excellent prep for these sorts of tests. However certain tests/jobs assume you have some sort of experience.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
IT or not, many if not most public agencies will post jobs on sites that have only public sector jobs. There are two main ones in our area:

AWC JobNet - Search jobs

https://apply.govjobstoday.com/

Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Having worked a few years at a state government job, I back pretty much what Skins and harhar said.
harhar is actually not that far from where I live.

I have to agree, again at least in CA, there seems to be a lot of demand for government jobs. Quite possibly due to their benefits, mainly their health insurance coverage compared to private sector (no thanks to Obamaeffingcare) but also pension pay. Another solid reason would be is the job stability and security. Once you are union, it really is hard to get rid of you. They know that too, hence the strenuous interview process they put you through and typically start people off as a temp or contractor.

Especially universities are using the x-year contract (temp) hiring with a fixed termination/end date where it cannot be changed!
So, be careful with that. It works in their favor for many reasons, no Union protection, they can let you go before or on that day for whatever reason or no reason at all, position can be closed due to whatever reason. Imo, that is a sucker position, regardless of what they tell you verbally, regardless of how well you do, they can and most likely will let you go no later than the contract end date. Written offer letter1 is the word.
If it is a contract/temp position with the fixed end date, try to find something permanent there or elsewhere asap. If it is a 3-6 month emergency hire, then those actually yield to permanent placement and are much more preferable, imho.

One other and probably the most troubling (to me) aspect of government job is the bureaucracy in the work place. You heard it in the movies, TV shows, etc. but experiencing it in-person in real life is something else. There will also be the usual private sector office politics on top of the utterly annoying and mind-boggling bureaucracy. In a nutshell:

- Do what is asked of you, never anything more, faster or better than others (you may make someone look bad without realizing it and that can get you on someone's sh.t-list)
- Do not recommend/suggest anything
- In meetings, etc. keep your mouth shut
- Never ever socialize with anyone at or outside work
- Never ever make any personal comments about anything, especially about someone or non-work related topics.

My job had many positives such as very short commute (5-6 miles), pleasant looking environment, cute college girls all around, way more paid time-off and relatively mild workload. Still,, I loathed my job. It was not fulfilling, I was bored and unhappy overall. I normally like to chat and build a rapport with the users but I quickly discovered even a handful of two-faced people can turn around and talk smack about you behind your back for no reason. Your own co-workers can see you as a threat and dig your rave behind your back in a collaborative effort. Even if everything was seemingly going great, the downtime, lack of motivation by management and other team members, to do more, to improve things was really bizarre. Most employees were disgruntled and cautious of each other. Everyone was criticizing some other individuals or teams, to he point of despising them! A lot of alert eyes checking their surroundings while whispering intensely. It is never a good sign in a workplace, is it?

Perhaps that is why I noticed a lot of slacking, do just enough to get by attitude all around.
Opposite of private sector, there seems to be more people than there is work but that could also be due to the fact that most work at a maximum of 60% capacity. Highly educated yet underpaid and under appreciated people seem to have such egos and bitterness, not even their fake smiles could mask most of the time.

A few friends who worked at similar jobs jokingly agrees with me; government jobs are career killers.
If you are a mediocre, non-passionate person who values stability and job security over good pay and career advancement, then a government job would be great!

Yes, I am bitter about my experience but for very valid and good reasons. That said, I wouldn't want to work at another government job again.
There are lots of cons to private sector but overall, I prefer private sector jobs at this point in my career.

Some of these may not apply to you at all but I still wanted to share my experience as a warning, a heads-up if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers