Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:10 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Hi Again.
I ran another event viewer for "system". Strangely, when I tried to filter for critical and error the event viewer wouldn't save the settings (or I forgot how to have it save them). This has over 50,000 events. I am hoping that on your end you can filter them. It amazes me how I can save an event "run" in a folder and can manipulte it. I haven't used any "advanced" features...the occasional msconfig with guidance. If you would rather I re-do this with the critical and errors filtered, let me know.Thanks again.
Sorry, I have been under the weather (or allergies) the last day or so. Light-headed and crankier than usual.

That said, to clarify, is your system running in normal mode or safe?

It should be in normal mode or most services will not be running ergo all the errors in the Event Viewer. START > RUN > msconfig > OK > Normal startup (see screeshot)

You can disable unwanted/unneeded startup processes under the Startup tab if you want. You have Windows 7 but Windows 8/10 users would use Task Manager to accomplish that task.

Also, did you experience another BSOD since May 1st?
If so, then look at the logs starting perhaps 10-15 minutes prior to the time of the BSOD to determine what critical or error messages were logged.

If you are getting that many service errors even in normal mode and your antivirus is also throwing errors too, that it is not good. Could be a serious filesystem corruption or malware infection.
You mentioned AVG (not a great av scanner btw) and free Malwarebytes which if I am not mistaken, does on-demand scans only. See if you can update its definitions and run a full scan.
Just make sure the system is running in normal mode!

Quote:
I was happy to read Peregrine's comment in another thread that he usually agrees with you, he has given me patient assistance at times in the past 4 years.
It took a lot of effort, time and $$ to get him to say nice things about me!

I am kidding, of course!

Peregrine is the real expert.
I just come here time-to-time to cause trouble!
Attached Thumbnails
Blue screen of death. Got out of safe mode.-msconfig.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 PM

Also, if you look at the second log (evt2) you attached, there was a memory dump to (C:Windows\Memory.dmp) at 5/1/2016 at 2:46:31 which has to be the time BSOD had occurred.

Have you had a chance to analyze it using any of the freebies mentioned?
If there is a .sys file involved and it is pointing to a component, chances are, it is device driver and a simple drive update might cure the issue. If it is generic system driver, then things may get uglier.

Let us know. If you want, we could let Peregrine chime in as well. I don't mind splitting the commission with him.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,282 times
Hi Turco,
Sorry to read about your allergies. Its hard to function with all that pressure, too.
My computer is in normal mode. Immediately after I put it in safe mode I didn't like the looks of it. Yes, it has been in normal mode for all but 15 min after the BSOD.
I am running AVG, MalewareBytes, and cCleaner.

I ran the resplendenceWhoCrashed program again. I keep getting that crash dumps are enabled but no dumps were found. Following their link, I verified that my system is enabled to write a full (kernel?) debugging report. In case I didn't have room to write it, I enabled the mini-dump but that gave me the same response.
Since you did find a memory dump, I don't know how to get at it. I will download the other blue screen viewer link you provided and get back to you.
Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:09 PM

I intalled a 64 bit version of Blue Screen View and the regular Blue Screen View with uninstall/install support. That last one came with a set up wizard.
The same result ocurred for both - I got an empty grid with column headings. I do have enough space for a report. 0 crashes was noted in the lower left (outside of the grid).
don't seem to be able to print out any reports...The Who Crashed website had info about "page" but I didn't understand that.

Two other things are noteworthy.

I ran the program to remove all of Win 10, its files, updates, everything with the link in this forum. Nothing was supposed to stay in my files or allow any updates related to Win 10. Now when I install Win Updates, I get prompted to review. I didn't see any of the "KB3035583" mentioned in these threads as Win 10. When I proof read the installed list there was one file with "KB3035583". I uninstalled it. The title had nothing to do with Win 10. How could this get through unless it was a non-Win 10 update with the same number?

Another thing is that since the BSOD on May 1 my color has been off. It is lighter where present and sometimes not there at all. My switch user screen used to be blue, now it is white. Strangely, firefox is worse than chrome. Formerly blue buttons are now whited out.

So would this mean a vision card driver? Someone suggested it on this thread but I felt that any analysis would pick that up.

So I am getting no reports/analyses about these crashes.....

My computer is functioning overall, Just a little slower.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 PM

This thread was just posted today. I have an Asus. Think there is a link?

Quote:
Old Today, 02:52 PM
robertpasa robertpasa started this thread
befriend

1,837 posts, read 2,943,033 times

Just now, a recent Windows 7 update caused people's computers to fail if they had an Asus motherboard.
I wonder what percent of users have those.

I've been reading horror stories of Windows updates for years so I set my Windows 7 computer to "never check for updates" - I know you're going to lecture me about malware, but I'd rather risk the malware than be bricked like the Asus users.

I also loaded MS's Malicious Software checker and ran the scan which took about 10 minutes.

Some people also wait a few days before loading each update. That seems wise. Did MS remove the update that was killing the Asus computers?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
This thread was just posted today. I have an Asus. Think there is a link?

Might be. I was not aware of that issue. Do you have the same model motherboard?
Why would the brand matter? I am thinking it has to do with a device driver used in certain models of this brand. Chipset, NIC, Video card....pick your suspect.

Quote:
I intalled a 64 bit version of Blue Screen View and the regular Blue Screen View with uninstall/install support. That last one came with a set up wizard.
The same result ocurred for both - I got an empty grid with column headings. I do have enough space for a report. 0 crashes was noted in the lower left (outside of the grid).
don't seem to be able to print out any reports...The Who Crashed website had info about "page" but I didn't understand that.

Two other things are noteworthy.

I ran the program to remove all of Win 10, its files, updates, everything with the link in this forum. Nothing was supposed to stay in my files or allow any updates related to Win 10. Now when I install Win Updates, I get prompted to review. I didn't see any of the "KB3035583" mentioned in these threads as Win 10. When I proof read the installed list there was one file with "KB3035583". I uninstalled it. The title had nothing to do with Win 10. How could this get through unless it was a non-Win 10 update with the same number?

Another thing is that since the BSOD on May 1 my color has been off. It is lighter where present and sometimes not there at all. My switch user screen used to be blue, now it is white. Strangely, firefox is worse than chrome. Formerly blue buttons are now whited out.

So would this mean a vision card driver? Someone suggested it on this thread but I felt that any analysis would pick that up.

So I am getting no reports/analyses about these crashes.....

My computer is functioning overall, Just a little slower.
Symptoms sounded like either a Windows Update but not sure if the update just forced an existing issue to come up to surface or if it indeed broke something, like a device driver, or perhaps, the update itself was for a device driver?

Of course, going back to that date in the installed updates list and uninstalling the updates installed on the day of the BSOD (5/1/16) would be something I'd consider trying.
Do you know how to do this?

Quote:
Hi Turco,
Sorry to read about your allergies. Its hard to function with all that pressure, too.
My computer is in normal mode. Immediately after I put it in safe mode I didn't like the looks of it. Yes, it has been in normal mode for all but 15 min after the BSOD.
I am running AVG, MalewareBytes, and cCleaner.

I ran the resplendenceWhoCrashed program again. I keep getting that crash dumps are enabled but no dumps were found. Following their link, I verified that my system is enabled to write a full (kernel?) debugging report. In case I didn't have room to write it, I enabled the mini-dump but that gave me the same response.
Since you did find a memory dump, I don't know how to get at it. I will download the other blue screen viewer link you provided and get back to you.
Thanks a bunch.
Thanks! Not sure what I have been battling with but it is still present so pardon my -worse than usual- crankiness and typos!

CCleaner has an option in the cleanup part where it deletes the memory dumps, make sure tha is not selected so if it occurs again, it won't be deleted (See screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Blue screen of death. Got out of safe mode.-ccleaner-memory-dumps.png  

Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It took a lot of effort, time and $$ to get him to say nice things about me!

Don't forget the 6 pack!!! Checking the mail every day for that!

Old 05-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Thanks Turco,
The CCleaner did have the sys memory dumps box checked....I unchecked it and hope it is why I can't write a report.
I don't know about the problem with the ASUS computers and Win 7. NHDave researched it and found the update causing the problem. You get a red screen and it's a booting problem. He provided the KB#, which did not come up when I searched Windows updates. I just put the # in the upper right box and pressed enter, I assume this is how to search. Results came back nothing found. I don't know how this would be true because I was automatically installing the updates. he said MS upgraded it to a recommended update on April 12.

Unfortunately, I got a BSOD somewhere btwn 12:00-12:12pm today. I started a new thread and posted details.
I will run another analyzer since I unchecked the dump files in ccleaner first and get back to you and this thread.
Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Turco,
Yes! The dump files deselected from the CCleaner gave some information when I ran WhoCrashed and Blue Screen.

First, I ran an event viewer from 4/29 to current. Will attach the file.
The WhoCrashed got a minidump printed out for the BSOD I had today. Here is what it reported:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 5/12/2016 7:11:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051216-94739-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x4211)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88003BBC498, 0xFFFFF88003BBBCF0, 0xFFFFF80003402A9B)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time

I will post the Blue Screen results here as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	May12BlueScreen.png
Views:	224
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	169644

May12EventViewer.zip

The Event Viewer did accept my filters, for system, critical, error.
And the WhoCrashed and Blue Screen seemed to only report on today's dump, mentioning NTFS.

I did delete the 2 Win 7 update files that we are warned here relate to Win 10 and the Win 7 update that NHDave researched as relating to ASUS systems. I had one of each.
I did not delete any updates from the May 1 BSOD time period. I figured I would post this and see if anyone could make something of it.

Thanks alot.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Turco,
I was looking at some updates around 4/15-crash because there were none on 5/1, the original BSOD. I did find a 4/17 AVG update... you had seen something about AVG in the event viewer. I didn't do anything with it, don't want to delete too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers