Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,282 times

Advertisements

This past weekend I got the blue screen of death.....twice.
The first time I was so shocked that I did nothing. Windows shut off my laptop and I turned it on only to have it happen again. This time I chose to put the laptop into safe mode. I did a little research and sadly discovered that this is usually do to a hardware problem. Because safe mode didn't look that safe to me, I used ms configuration and went back to normal start. It still looked funny but I wasn't in safe mode so I just did a system restore for 2 weeks prior...ran out of ideas.

I have 2 questions. Most importantly, what is the problem?
My computer has been slow but ok for a while. I have avg and free malware bytes. I occasionally run the system clean up options for win 7. To be honest, I'm taking some online Web Development classes so haven't had time to worry about it.
I read online that the BSOD usually indicates a hardware problem.
But in looking at recent threads here I see that win 7 updates are causing people problems. I'm wondering if it could be an update.
Any ideas on what I can check out to help diagnose the problem?
And even though I can get online and am not in safe mode, my start button and other tray items still look strange. They are white. My switch user screen, which is the default when i leave my laptop running but am not using it, is no longer blue but white. Am I really back to normal start mode?

Could this have anything to do with the annoyingly frequent win 10 pop ups ? I want to keep my system and win 7 for as long as possible.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
You need the STOP message. Check out the following pages or google for more info on this and any other topic. If the system restarts on you without being able to read the message, you can change that too. Right Click on Computer, Properties, Advanced System Properties, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery Settings, Uncheck the 'Automatically restart', OK

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

List of Blue Screen Error Codes (STOP Codes)

If it's something like memory (RAM), you can swap it out one by one till you find the bad module.

As for the Windows 10 updates, turn off automatic updates and/or notifications and manually update and exclude Windows 10 (I forget the KB number)

Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Most importantly, what is the problem?
Absolutely no way anyone here can say what the problem is as you didn't include any info at all on the BSOD message you received. Anything would be pure speculation. All that can be said is it's either a hardware or software problem, neither one is more likely than the other.

Download, install, and run WhoCrashed Resplendence Software - Free Downloads and post back with the results.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did turn off the automatic restart.
Then I download loaded and ran the "who crashed "
Home edition. This was reported :
Correct system info.
Crash Dump Analysis:
Crash dump directory C:\windows\mini dump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer
No valid crash dumps have been found on your
computer.
Conclusion
Crash. Dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. They provided a link to an article with possible causes for the crash dumps not being printed out. Talked about enough memory for "page".

Report then talked about may or may not be a driver failure and provided a link to an article to begin trouble shooting and things like causing a bug to occur.

Scary stuff for the uneducated. .any ideas?

Thanks alot.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM

I tried to run analyze (top left) and was then locked out.
By this I mean that anything I clicked gave me the "ping"
Noise but nothing responded. So I'm shutting down via the start menu.

Today I had to create an word doc, it was an emergency.
The coloring In the headers and footers were off and it was very slow. Hard to describe but I did get a doc out.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
In recent years, BSODs are, for the most part, due to device drivers (conflict or corruption).
The other variable that started sharing more of the "cause pie" is malware infection, whether it is still present or file system corruption as a collateral damage of aggressive disinfection process.

You need to take a look at are the Windows Logs in EVENT VIEWER (Start > Run Eventvwr > OK)
On the Right side, click on Filter Current Log... and check only "Critical" and "Error" for Event level filtering option (see attached screenshot).

Do this for top for logs types but most important ones are System and Application!
Focus on the time frame starting with a little earlier than when the BSODs occured and share the info if possible.

As gguerra mentioned, stop error is very important. From the symptoms you mentioned (things looking weird and colors looking off), I have a feeling the culprit, if device driver related, might be with Video card drivers.

Another very good BSOD analyzer freebie is BlueScreenView from Nirsoft.
Attached Thumbnails
Blue screen of death. Got out of safe mode.-event-viewer.png  

Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Unplug any USB devices you may have connected to your laptop and try again. That's usually the easiest thing to eliminate. Might be that the processor is getting hot. You may need to replace the heatsink.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM

I just analyzed again using resplendence" who crashed "program after unplugging the printer usb (no others in use). I got the same report.
I will go to the event viewer and see what comes up.
Thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Default Bsod

Hi. I ran the event viewer for "system" with critical and error checked. This screen shot is one example of the results. The windows in the report are small, and I don't know what they mean but I do have some red errors. I ran the report for the last 30 days as the BSOD happened twice in the last week but my system restore made me back up until April 1. It chose that as a restore point after one at mid-month was rejected (don't know why, maybe the win updates). I will take a look at this event viewer and tell you things that I think may be of use. I don't know how many screen shots this would take....
I really appreciate everyone's help.
Attached Thumbnails
Blue screen of death. Got out of safe mode.-eventviewerresultsfiltercriticalerrof.png  

Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Hi. Since I had 91 errors with those 2 filters checked, I made a copy of the even viewer file and attached it below. Most of the errors are duplicates. Does this help diagnose the problem? Really means very little to me. Thanks.

At this point, I don't even know if I could hire a tech support person to take a look at this...I have one referral.

Ran into a glitch. I made a copy of the event planner results, my computer saved them to an event .evtx
file. I can't upload it here. It is not a valid file type.
I assume you need to take a look at the file...any ideas?
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers