Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Of course, as you have found you don't really need to be part of a Homegroup if you use the basic 'share' options.

Another choice would be something like a NAS (external hard drive attached to your router). Both computers could use it as a backup and you could easily share files back and forth on it.

These articles should help walk you through fixing the Homegroup:

Fix: Homegroup Cannot Be Set Up in Windows 10
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...egroup-issues/
Another choice would be something like a NAS (external hard drive attached to your router). Both computers could use it as a backup and you could easily share files back and forth on it.

That does sound interesting !
Could you elaborate on that ?

Also ... , reading up on your first link, I can see the files to be deleted (Delete idstore.sst), but which one should I delete ? (see post #9 above).
Or ...
'delete all files and folders in it and go back to Step 3.'
(this scares me, since I have no idea what other problems I may have created.

So in my case, I just work with the 'Share' function on each directory as needed.

Still I would like to learn, so I am still 'listening' to you guys on CD or reading !

Last edited by irman; 01-25-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I would expect this to work.

Quote:
What you need to do is leave the existing Homegroups
(on both computers)
Quote:
and then create a new Homegroup on one of the computers.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I would expect this to work.

(on both computers)
Thanks Tek for suggestion, but neither of the computers is connected to a Home Group.

Read my messages from the beginning ...

Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Do you even have internet or successful networking hardware / drivers? Check your Device Manager for disabled Network cards or drivers?

Oh, but your posting through internet here... Hmm..

Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Thanks Tek for suggestion, but neither of the computers is connected to a Home Group.

Read my messages from the beginning ...
I sure misread that post!!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 AM

Anyway, thanks all of you for looking into this strange problem.

As always, when I do not get to solve a problem, I usually find or get a solution from you guys.

By the way, this problem might get away, because I found a cheap upgrade for less than 60 green ones.
(I hope it is legit ... , sold by CDW ?)
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Wi...!1100310806892

I am on (a refurb laptop) Win 10 Pro, and my wife is on (an old Home assembled tower) Win 10 Pro.
She also has a small refurb laptop on Win 10 Home (used when we travel).
When I upgrade her laptop to Win 10 Pro, this may all go away.
Except, I also found out that for what we wanted to do, once and a while share a file or pics, all we need to do is share the directory.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
That does sound interesting !
Could you elaborate on that ?
NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. It is basically a simple computer with a large storage capacity that is designed to store files and backups that can be accessed by anyone on the network. It used to be more of a business thing, but they are becoming more and more common in peoples homes, especially to store media content, etc. There are several options for "all-in-one" NAS solutions that are very easy to setup. Many of them will also allow you to access the files on the drive remotely (like from your cell phone or office) if you really wanted to. These units plug into your router and so are part of your home network.

Here is a link to some of them that are available. Some are just the NAS processor and enclosure and you would need to buy your own hard drive, some like the Western Digital and Buffalo come complete:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CE&PageSize=36

Quote:
Also ... , reading up on your first link, I can see the files to be deleted (Delete idstore.sst), but which one should I delete ? (see post #9 above).
Or ...
'delete all files and folders in it and go back to Step 3.'
(this scares me, since I have no idea what other problems I may have created.

So in my case, I just work with the 'Share' function on each directory as needed.

Still I would like to learn, so I am still 'listening' to you guys on CD or reading !
Per the instructions, you should delete all entries in that folder.

The "share" function really is sufficient for basic file sharing.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
First reaction to link ... (but thanks anyway !)

Heaven's, could they not use a larger font ?
See pic 1 attached ...

OK ... , need to delete
“C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData \Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst”

OK ... , which one ? (see pic 2 attached)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Per the instructions, you should delete all entries in that folder.
Those files will be recreated when a Homegroup is created.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,213 times
Default Homegroup

I have never even seen the need for a group work connection as it opens another slot of insecurity on my computer.
Is it not easier, faster to use a flash drive?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Flash drive? No.

If the Homegroup is not secure then your entire internal network is not. Think about it. In order to access the Homegroup you have to access your network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers