Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me the difference between these two degree programs? Both are offered at the community college. What I primarily want to learn is programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
It is very hard to say anything without seeing a course description, preferably a syllabus. Few course titles at colleges are very descriptive of content, no matter what field. This is especially true for rapidly evolving fields like these.

You should contact the CC with your question. You should also learn the difference between programming and coding. They are distinct, albeit overlapping, activities.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM

CIS:
Computer Information Systems

CS:
Computer Science

Could you be more specific about the difference between coding and programming? :-)

Old 09-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Programming is, in general, the skill of breaking down a problem in a fashion that can be handled by a computer, Usually as a series of steps. Coding is taking the steps and converting them into code in any of a wide range of programming languages Often the two overlap.

Thank you for the links. Interesting, and not surprising, to see how the college divides things up. The CS track would be much more of a programming/coding track. CIS is focused on the management of computer systems and their interfaces with the world - users, the net, security etc. It is not about programming.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 AM

The CS tract seems to be more math oriented. I don't want to spend the rest of my days writing code (assuming I can even do that -- html is NOT PROGRAMMING, as I've been told more than once). But I want to know everything.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 AM

Yes, HTML is coding. But many folks use tools to generate the code. Learning a programming language, like C++, is a bit like learning a language - both have vocabulary (the words and what they describe) and a syntax (how the words fit together, punctuation and such).

Introductory courses a good at laying out the landscape.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:22 PM

I got into trouble once in a university class for saying that most courses are introductory. The woman who complained was getting teaching credits and not the professional student type, though I resent that characterization. But it really is true.

I'm currently studying educational technology in a doctoral program, but there is only one programming course and it really isn't programming but just how to use prepackaged programs which do all the work for you. However, there are a few programmers in the class and I both respect them and am made aware of how much more they know than I do.

It may or may not be obvious, but I'm thinking of shucking this doctoral program and starting all over again.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-03-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM

531 posts, read 758,403 times
CS is more focus on theory solving problems.
CIS is more focus on Information management.

They do not usually tech you how to do programing line by line.
They do expect you to do some programing to solve problems.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The CS tract seems to be more math oriented. I don't want to spend the rest of my days writing code (assuming I can even do that -- html is NOT PROGRAMMING, as I've been told more than once). But I want to know everything.
You can't know everything! the amount of information is increasing too quickly. To even make an an attempt to 'know everything' will cause you to have no life outside your pursuit.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference between these two degree programs? Both are offered at the community college. What I primarily want to learn is programming.
In general - Computer Science is oriented more towards programming/software development. Computer Information Systems is more about the management of applications/application systems - which typically falls more under Networking, system administration, etc.

There's obviously overlap between the two disciplines and are definitely not mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers