Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

I have an APC UPS that has begun switching to battery power constantly. It started out switching over several times a day, then several times an hour, now it spends more time on battery than not. I changed battery when the self test showed a red "replace battery" light but this behavior continues with the new battery and plugged into a different outlet.

APC tech support said to switch the sensitivity to low and now it appears to work. BUT, I have two other UPS's of the same series that do not do this. One of them is connected to a computer with their software and the sensitivity is actually set to high.

I've already said I'd still like the unit replaced but got this:

"The unit needs to be operated on low. Hence, you need to manually adjust the sensitivity to low but not medium. None of the UPS will operate at medium, all will operate properly when the sensitivity is set to low.

Are there any other questions or technology needs that I can help you to make sure that you are completely satisfied with my services?"

It seems to me that if your car suddenly started smoking at speeds over 40mph, the solution isn't to limit yourself to 30mph, especially if it just started doing it two months before the warranty is about to expire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Eh. My guess is that the "adjustment" is some sort of potentiometer that tweaks the circuit. "Low" on that unit may be the same (electronically speaking) as "high" on the others. Components can age and change in value, but that doesn't mean you throw the entire circuit away. Think of it as being like a radio that you tune to 93.1 but don't get the station until you twist the dial a little to 93.2. It ain't exactly right, but is more a cosmetic issue than a serious flaw in electronics.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 PM

From their own software:

The sensitivity setting controls under what circumstances your battery backup will go on battery due to electrical noise. Although the low setting is safe for most computer equipment, some may malfunction at that setting.

High: This setting is suitable for most equipment, providing maximum protection against electrical noise.

Medium: Use this setting if you find that your battery backup is going on battery quite often.

Low: Use this setting if your battery backup continues to transfer to battery operation frequently on the medium setting. Typically, this occurs when the AC utility source is a generator. Caution: this will allow greater voltage distortions to reach your computer.

The UPS attached to this computer is set to high and only switches to battery when there's an actual power interruption. The UPS I'm having trouble with switches to battery constantly if set to anything other than low. Yet, APC thinks this is OK.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I have an APC UPS that has begun switching to battery power constantly. It started out switching over several times a day, then several times an hour, now it spends more time on battery than not. I changed battery when the self test showed a red "replace battery" light but this behavior continues with the new battery and plugged into a different outlet.

APC tech support said to switch the sensitivity to low and now it appears to work. BUT, I have two other UPS's of the same series that do not do this. One of them is connected to a computer with their software and the sensitivity is actually set to high.

I've already said I'd still like the unit replaced but got this:

"The unit needs to be operated on low. Hence, you need to manually adjust the sensitivity to low but not medium. None of the UPS will operate at medium, all will operate properly when the sensitivity is set to low.

Are there any other questions or technology needs that I can help you to make sure that you are completely satisfied with my services?"

It seems to me that if your car suddenly started smoking at speeds over 40mph, the solution isn't to limit yourself to 30mph, especially if it just started doing it two months before the warranty is about to expire.

What APC unit do you have? What's the exact model number?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBubba2011 View Post
What APC unit do you have? What's the exact model number?
Back-UPS RS 900 (BR900)

I've since dug out the communication cable and connected it to a PC running PowerChute. I've discovered that the UPS is reporting that the input voltage is randomly varying from approx 100v to 120v while a volt meter connected to the output of the UPS indicates a steady 120v. They say they'll replace the unit now.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
i have apc ups model be500in and want to disable no load shut down. so pls help any dsp switch or modification in pcb

Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
To the OP: it sound like your UPS had a faulty voltage sensor. APC went through the proper diagnostics steps to eliminate simpler, (and cheaper), reasons.

Once you both determine it's their equipment, they should replace it smoothly.

I had a UPS by APC get scorched by lightning. I phoned APC and the first words out of their mouth were, "we'll honor our warranty and replace our unit AND your computer. Give us it's specs."
Wow! it was so surprising to have to not fight fine print. The good news was, that my response was, "Thanks a BUNCH, but your unit died to protect my stuff, which is all OK, and all I need is a new UPS." They mailed it the next day, along with return shipping for my dead unit. - I was very satisfied with them.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
The OP was 7 years ago, Not likely he's still looking for input. Thread was revived by a newb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers