Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 PM

515 posts, read 530,585 times

Advertisements

How do I fix Win 7 locked Admin account ?
=========================================

Thanks for replies to my threads. I have laptop. I am using on win 7.

I am able to log in to my user account, but not able to login to Admin account.

I am not able to Run as administrator as well.

I tried different answers online/this forum to this problem and tried some of the recommendations using the guest account, but all to no luck. Each time I try something it throws the admin's sign-in page at me. When I sign in with the username (which I know is correct), it says it's incorrect. I don't know how this happened as it started without any warning.

How do I re-set my admin account PW?

Thanks for guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,491,660 times
Password reset boot CD or USB

it will let you blank out the password. There are ways to do it without a boot CD/USB

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.kVZT4Gwc5KU

Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,941,397 times
If you have a boot CD or USB for W7 installer, you can use the sticky keys trick.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Netbook Windows 7 password help

Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
Holy crap dude maybe the fact that you're still using win7 in 2018 is the reason why. There's a reason why you update your softwares. Although I am quite aware of Windows updates messing up your PC rather than making it run smooth, but staying on win 7 in 2018 is beyond me.

I would suggest updating to win 10. As far as I know, the hate on win 10 subsided by now? The old laptop my husband bought me runs on xp, LOL. The first thing he did is install win 10 on it. And I would have done the same.
Really? FYI, Windows 7 is still supported and will be till 2020 and that is only for their WAY overstated security updates. What exactly to you gain by going to Windows 10? besides having Microsoft spying on everything you do.

Is it the fantastic Cortana feature that they added or the fact you can't even get to the control panel very easily. You now have to type in many things to quickly get to them. What is this, DOS again? IMO, in many ways Win 10 is a step back for this simple fact alone. Or is it the also fantastic Edge browser?

I guess you are one of those Microsoft sheep that does everything they tell you to do?

Quick look...
Windows 7 vs Windows 10 comparison

None of these "improvements" seem very attractive or out of this world IMO of course.

Another FYI, Windows 10 just taken over the market share over Windows 7 about a month ago and 3 years after it was introduced. I guess everybody else that has not taken the step that duh, everyone should have already.

Windows 10 vs Windows 7: Has Microsoft's newest OS just reached a turning point?

Not only that, how exactly would going to Windows 10 help the OP? Not one bit, he would still be in the same predicament.

Last edited by gguerra; 03-15-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
In my computer scientist mind updating to win 10 might fix that admin PW.
I unlike you too, so there, we are even and I don't want to get into a debate either. By the way, the correct word is dislike... Leave unlike for Facebook.

Care to enlighten me with your computer scientist mind how updating to Windows 10 will fix that admin PW? and remember it has to be a method that you can only use in Win 10, otherwise you prove nothing.

If you can answer it successfully, I stand corrected on that part about Win 10.

I stand by the other statements and don't want to be forced to use a mic for cortana, my choice.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
LOL, you totally misunderstood that I, unlike you, statement based on your reply which actually at first I did not get. I specifically used the commas if you know your grammar you might have got it. Or try reading Harry potter, LOL. I got it from JKR. I copied it from Hermione.

But if you did not get that statement, how do I know you will even understand the PW in win 10 explanation then?

And since it's your choice to fall behind in what Cortana powers can unleash on win 10 why would I even bother with you?

To be clear, I don't have any beef with you, I just like to debate. Don't take it personally.

And to be more clear no my I, unlike you, statement is not about disliking you. So you 'correcting' me that the word is dislike is very much a fail.
I like to debate too and I welcome it. I do it quite a bit on this board and I don't take it personally. I don't know you and you don't know me. We are pretty much anonymous here. My grammar is just fine and it doesn't have to perfect when writing messages on CD, does it?

I loathe Harry Potter and wouldn't have the slightest idea about the unlike word you used and how it used in that context, so forgive me.

Why don't you try me on the PW in Win 10 explanation. I am positive I will follow, going on 36 years in IT and I am no braggart. You brought it up, I am just clarifying.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
What about you? Why do you think updating it won't fix the PW problem?
It's security and Windows has it built in. It's designed to keep people out and should not be easy to circumvent. This applies to all Windows versions back to NT/2000 and includes Windows 10. The tools I mention in my first post will allow you to boot from CD/USB to gain access to the registry where the passwords are stored. They are encrypted so we cannot reveal them but we can erase them, setting them to "blank". Next time you log in, there will be no password and you can get right in.

I've seen it done another way using a windows setup boot CD.

You are partially correct with the Windows 10 allowing you to recover a password. This only applies though, if you are using a microsoft account to login to windows 10. This is like recovering a password on any web site. MS will send an email or text to help recover your password. Things can go wrong with this method and in addition you need an internet connection.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 PM

7,660 posts, read 8,734,965 times
I've stayed with Windows 7, too. I chose Win 7 even when I bought my new computer more than a year ago when both Windows 7 and 10 were available. If it's not broke don't fix it. I'm familiar with Win 7, have no problem with it, why should I bother with Win 10 when in a few years it will be replaced again by Win 11, 12....? I have the Win 7 recovery CD which just 2 weeks ago I used to make a recovery.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,258,759 times
Quote:
Like I said the main thing why people stayed with old windows is familiarity. And mainly coz they just don't want to learn how to navigate the new OS. At first I also was confused with win10 but I welcome the new exploration in the new OS.
I stayed with 7 because MS tried to force 10 on me, on my 2 laptops and one desktop, anytime anyone tries to force something on someone, look out, sorry but no spy machines for me. I learned long ago that anything worth having does not need to be forced on the public, look out people, big brother has come and they call it windows 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers