Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My RAM is 8.

I check Task Manager regularly. That's how I saw those "Background Tasks" were running and ended them, and that seems to have helped. I know SOME things. More than my friend, whose computer was horribly slow and didn't know what I meant when I asked her when the last time was that she cleared her browser history. She thought I did some kind of miracle.

Interesting about the Chrome, thanks for the tip on that.

Also, I do not always remember to reboot my computer, so maybe just letting it run so long and then opening Flightaware was too much. I also opened that map site so I could identify what body of water it was that my daughter's plane was over. (The Caspian Sea.) I just opened the first one that popped up. I have Flightaware on my phone, though, and it doesn't give me any trouble there.
8GB should be plenty to run lots of browser tabs or multiple browsers.

When you look at task manager, did you look at all of the first 3 columns (CPU, Memory, Disk)?
Click the header of each column to bring up whatever is using the most.

There have been a lot of reported Windows 10 problems with various processes causing 99% or 100% disk usage at times. I haven't had this problem since I increased the RAM in my machine though, I had 4 GB before.

Obviously you want to do these things when the computer is not working well, it won't tell you much if everything is speeding along smoothly.

I just installed a huge windows update last night/this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
When I scan for virus/malware, I use 2-3 different software, because there is no one that can catch them all. Even if everything seems to be clean, I still run it a second time, and almost always they will find something new.
Besides Malwarebytes you could run Bitdefender or Emsisoft. For "everyday" performance I use CCleaner.
Personally I like Webroot more than Norton.

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2018 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quick scan thru posts. May have missed some things posted.

Test Internet speed with cable attached. Wireless will report inaccurately. Norton doesn't do malware. Install malwarebytes.

Look through installed programs for anything you don't recognize.

Highly recommend Ccleaner.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I scan for virus/malware, I use 2-3 different software, because there is no one that can catch them all. Even if everything seems to be clean, I still run it a second time, and almost always they will find something new.
Besides Malwarebytes you could run Bitdefender or Emsisoft. For "everyday" I use CCleaner.
Personally I like Webroot more than Norton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Quick scan thru posts. May have missed some things posted.

Test Internet speed with cable attached. Wireless will report inaccurately. Norton doesn't do malware. Install malwarebytes.

Look through installed programs for anything you don't recognize.

Highly recommend Ccleaner.
Thanks, both of you.

But question: Do the anti-viruses even ALLOW that? My laptop came with McAfee, but I had a bad experience with McAfee years ago and won't use it again. I had the Norton subscription for a few years, so I put that on there, but I had to disable McAfee to install Norton. How do you use more than one a-v software on your computer?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
You don't. Ever. They will butt heads and cause problem. One, and one only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers