Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Might be the output location. If it's set for external speakers and you're expecting sound from the internals it's not going there. Plug a head set into the external speaker connection. See what you get.

LOL at myself. Missed the end of that earlier post.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-12-2018 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Glad you got it resolved. It is quite possible a former Windows update or an HP update might have broken it.

Typically an update of the driver will fix the issue. If there is no new updates available, then re-installing the current driver after uninstalling the already installed one and rebooting would be the next thing I try.
Worst case scenario, uninstall the existing driver, then go back to the very first driver the device had.
Anything beyond that might require an OS re-install.

Cheers,
TL

PS. If interested, for free fixes to repair number of common Windows issues and learn more about Windows in general, check out this site:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/

Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Bookmarked that site. Thanks!!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. It said it was on. I went into Sound on the Control Panel, and that indicated that it was working, too, but it wasn't.
I had a similar situation about 6 weeks ago, although in my case, the speakers were working but the sound was terribly distorted. My first thought was to buy new speakers. But, I tired the various trouble shooting techniques, no change. Finally I just restared my computer and it all was back to normal. Bad driver?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I had a similar situation about 6 weeks ago, although in my case, the speakers were working but the sound was terribly distorted. My first thought was to buy new speakers. But, I tired the various trouble shooting techniques, no change. Finally I just restared my computer and it all was back to normal. Bad driver?
Glitches like that occur more often than people realize.
Even though it is a cliche fix, restarting the computer is probably the most effective and easiest fix for most of the software/OS related issues.

I'd not worry about it much unless it is a recurring issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers