Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times

Advertisements

Just downloaded and installed today. Took about 3 hours. On reboot, a perfect example of Microsoft in action. A screen had popped up with three boxes offering to explain various features of the update.

Clicked the first, which led to a new screen telling me I needed an app to view things. WTF? Clicked the button for the app which took me to the Windows Store. Found the app, MS Tips, clicked on the "Get" button and nothing happened.

The ironic thing is that I have a stock Microsoft Surface Pro II, with fully up to date Win 10 Pro. If they can't get it right for their own hardware/software, who can they get it right for?

So now I need to find a third party website to find out what was loaded on my machine, since MS won't tell me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:03 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Did you scroll through your start menu to see if you have Tips installed? It may have just needed to enable a feature without going through an install.
Also, three hours? What version was your device on prior to the update? It took my Surface Pro 3 with 1709 installed about twenty minutes total.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
No Tips in the start menu. Nothing comes up in search either. And my previous version was the most recent. Since the new version wiped my update history, I can't confirm other than from memory, but I install all updates as they come available, not that I have a choice.

Do you have Tips installed? If so, how'd you get it. And no, it is not a feature that loads automatically and needs to be enabled. Sounds like you didn't even try to find it or use it.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
I haven't seen any sign of this update yet....and perhaps I should consider myself fortunate.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/01/al...-may-run-into/

I'm going to turn automatic update off for the time being as I have no issues with 1709. I'll never forget the update that killed my brand new laptop a year and a half ago.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Quote:
Mouse acceleration and movement seems different to before. Also, reports of mouse lag.

How could they screw up something that's been well sorted for a couple of decades?

Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

How could they screw up something that's been well sorted for a couple of decades?
I'd bet this is related to a specific mouse driver on some systems.

I have 3 physical and 2 virtual machines that have all updated to 1803 and haven't seen any of those issues on any of them.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
I installed this update yesterday and it trashed my Lenovo Z70 laptop. Initially a complete freeze up, then after numerous restarts, "Unknown hard error" messages for sihost.exe and ctfmon.exe.

This would lead to a Recovery screen with options to roll back the update (did nothing), system restore (couldn't find restore points, which I create at least monthly), startup repair (also did nothing).

It also wouldn't load any drivers for network connections, DVD drive or USB drive. Once or twice it got as far as Windows login, then couldn't find desktop.ini and loaded a basic blank desktop that wouldn't even allow clicking on the Start button. The only thing that worked was Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, which showed no processes or services running.

After several hours of trying every option, I finally bit the bullet and chose Reset this PC, which restores the original Windows build that came on the PC, but wipes out all apps and settings. That worked to get back up and running, but now I have to spend many more hours downloading apps and fixing the settings to do what I want.

I have a disk image, but it's not current enough to bother with. Lesson learned! Needless to say I won't be updating Windows again anytime in the near future.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I installed this update yesterday and it trashed my Lenovo Z70 laptop. Initially a complete freeze up, then after numerous restarts, "Unknown hard error" messages for sihost.exe and ctfmon.exe.

This would lead to a Recovery screen with options to roll back the update (did nothing), system restore (couldn't find restore points, which I create at least monthly), startup repair (also did nothing).

It also wouldn't load any drivers for network connections, DVD drive or USB drive. Once or twice it got as far as Windows login, then couldn't find desktop.ini and loaded a basic blank desktop that wouldn't even allow clicking on the Start button. The only thing that worked was Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, which showed no processes or services running.

After several hours of trying every option, I finally bit the bullet and chose Reset this PC, which restores the original Windows build that came on the PC, but wipes out all apps and settings. That worked to get back up and running, but now I have to spend many more hours downloading apps and fixing the settings to do what I want.

I have a disk image, but it's not current enough to bother with. Lesson learned! Needless to say I won't be updating Windows again anytime in the near future.
I feel your pain, believe me....I went through it a year and a half ago with a brand new Lenovo. Except in my case I was not able to reset or recover. I don't remember the details, but it must have said something like no hard disk found or similar.

Fortunately, it was new enough for Best Buy to agree to swap it for a new one. They were great in taking care of me.

My Windows Update is disabled and will stay that way indefinitely. Until a good reason to change that presents itself.

Apparently some people were lucky....but many were not.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...and-complaints

Old 05-20-2018, 08:53 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
I have put 1803 on several computers with no problem.

This includes my Surface Pro but I have had problems with two Pro's so I do not use it for important work. But since I purchased a new replacement for the Surface it has worked a lot better. Go figure.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
My wife's updated last night. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers