Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 01:39 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thanks, guys, for your interest and responses

I guess I led you to believe I was talking about building with my reference to building years ago. Reading my post again, I can see where you'd assume that. But no, those days are pretty much behind me, I think, for multiple reasons. Of course, I never say never. But that comment was there primarily to indicate that I have a little better understanding of the components and inner working of computers than the average Joe Schmo.

The more I think about it and learn more about how this new sim works, the more doubt creeps in as to whether this would be a worthwhile expense. I have Flight Simulator 2004, after all, and it runs great on my current laptop. It just doesn't look as awesome as the new one - at least from the pictures we see.

But if I were to spring for a new machine, it would most likely be factory assembled and ready to go. So my prime interest would be in specific commercially available models meeting those specs.
Alienware would be my pick or Dell G5. Lots of overlap in spec, similar price. 10400F, 1660 Ti, 16 GB of RAM, 512 SSD + 2 GB HD at $1,150. I'd get something like that on the lower end or 10600KF, RTX 2070 Super for $1,500ish.

There's really no price advantage to building these days, more of a hobby and for enthusiasts. Maybe Alienware doesn't come with the best OC motherboards, don't really know. I don't really like liquid cooling which is required on the K series processors with Alienware which maybe they don't have the the greatest cooler. That would really be the thing I don't like about it. That and I think the case is ugly. It's a compact case, so don't go stupid and put a 10900K and two 2080 Tis in there and complain that it can't hold four SSDs and eight HDDs which you need for some reason or another.... it's a gaming PC, not a workstation.

If you want more convention design, the G5 is basically the same thing. I'm not sure if they include Z490 boards for the K processors though whereas I know Alienware does.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-19-2020 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 02:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I would recommend this Dell XPS 8930. It starts at $599, you can built it up from there. I have the special edition of this. At minimum, I would add the Nvidia GTX 1660 which is what I got. It's a 6GB GPU. That is $200 extra. It has a bunch of other options. You can't go wrong with this as far as quality. It is VR capable too by the way if that matters. Something I have yet to try myself.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you - I will take a long, hard look at it. I'm afraid I don't know what VR capable means. Could you take a moment to enlighten this dinosaur?

Old 07-19-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Alienware would be my pick or Dell G5. Lots of overlap in spec, similar price. 10400F, 1660 Ti, 16 GB of RAM, 512 SSD + 2 GB HD at $1,150. I'd get something like that on the lower end or 10600KF, RTX 2070 Super for $1,500ish.

There's really no price advantage to building these days, more of a hobby and for enthusiasts. Maybe Alienware doesn't come with the best OC motherboards, don't really know. I don't really like liquid cooling which is required on the K series processors with Alienware which maybe they don't have the the greatest cooler. That would really be the thing I don't like about it. That and I think the case is ugly. It's a compact case, so don't go stupid and put a 10900K and two 2080 Tis in there and complain that it can't hold four SSDs and eight HDDs which you need for some reason or another.... it's a gaming PC, not a workstation.

If you want more convention design, the G5 is basically the same thing. I'm not sure if they include Z490 boards for the K processors though whereas I know Alienware does.
Completely unnecessary.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Thank you - I will take a long, hard look at it. I'm afraid I don't know what VR capable means. Could you take a moment to enlighten this dinosaur?
Virtual Reality - like Oculus.

https://www.oculus.com/?locale=en_US

Old 07-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Virtual Reality - like Oculus.

https://www.oculus.com/?locale=en_US
Interesting....so that headset takes the place of a monitor? What kind of experience is it, by comparison? Are they audio capable, too, or strictly for video? Can you watch movies with them (or would you want to)?

I would ask where you could see a demonstration of one, but talk about a COVID risk. I don't think so.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Interesting....so that headset takes the place of a monitor? What kind of experience is it, by comparison? Are they audio capable, too, or strictly for video? Can you watch movies with them (or would you want to)?

I would ask where you could see a demonstration of one, but talk about a COVID risk. I don't think so.
It’s great, really immersive. I haven’t tried it yet with a flight simulator but I’ve played some games and simulations that are pretty real feeling. Like being on a roller coaster, landing on the moon and climbing Everest.

You get audio as well as video. I’m sure you could watch movies that way.

https://www.howtogeek.com/268062/how...t-or-htc-vive/

Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Yes, you can watch movies. No, you wouldn't really want to unless you were watching with friends also in VR. That's kind of fun.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, you can watch movies. No, you wouldn't really want to unless you were watching with friends also in VR. That's kind of fun.
Do you have a recommendation for a particular computer for the new flight sim? Something closer to the minimum than ideal is all I'd need.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:26 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Just looked up the specs. Wow, that's steep.
I'll try and look around when I have time.

Specs:
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-fl...-requirements/

Old 07-20-2020, 09:13 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Do you have a recommendation for a particular computer for the new flight sim? Something closer to the minimum than ideal is all I'd need.
If budget is a major concern, I'd just get the upcoming xBox Series X. If that launches anywhere remotely near $500 current PCs can't even get close to that for $1,000. RTX 3000 and upcoming big navi potentially could change that but they'd have to be huge increases in performance per dollar that we haven't seen recently.

Take the GTX 1080 to RTX 2080 series of cards. Even with over three years between releases, the improvement between the GTX 1080 and an RTX 2080 were pretty modest ones, roughly 20%. On top of that, the value wasn't there at all. The RTX 2080 cost as much as the GTX 1080 Ti and was marginally faster. Three plus years for a whole lot of nothing burger was what you got. Not entirely true, you had the useless stuff like ray tracing and DLSS 1.0 which no one cared about. At the lower end things were better. The GTX 1660 and 1650 cards were pretty decent replacements that actually did offer some real improvement for dollar. In order to get anything close to PS5/xBox Series X performance around $500 you'll need somewhere close to RTX 2080 performance from a $200 video card. I can't see that happening. Next Gen consoles might cost more than $500, maybe the on paper performance won't be as great on them as it sounds, but value is definitely looking to be solidly in favor of consoles this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.