Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:47 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,378,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Are you using the laptop for anything more than Flight Simulator? The challenge with laptops are the general lack of high powered discrete video cards, which MSFS needs.

For the price of a high end gaming laptop you could probably buy the equivalent desktop just for MSFS and a midrange laptop for other use.

But here’s a solid configuration for a gaming laptop.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/sh...7-d441468fdf67
I totally agree another issue with those gaming laptops is getting rid of the excess heat esp. when overclocking compared to a gaming PC build.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,507,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, it does not. Post an argumentative comment for no other sake and then follow it up with proof of that mal-intent. You mistook me for someone with patience for it.

This is why you were formerly on ignore and why you're going back. Bye.
What mal-intent? and was I wrong? No I was not, you confirmed that so who is arguing? You made it more complicated when it wasn't. I didn't mistake you for anybody. I don't even know you, hello. You are random stranger on an internet message board.

Your words.

Quote:
It's just that I'm not as motivated at 70 as I was at 50.
A bit thin-skinned?

Keep ignoring. Not everything requires a reply.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-22-2020 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 AM

1,361 posts, read 555,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I totally agree another issue with those gaming laptops is getting rid of the excess heat esp. when overclocking compared to a gaming PC build.
My i7 7700k desktop with 11GB 1080 Ti are both OCed to max stability and both CPU/GPU are liquid cooled. GPU at 100% load runs in the 40-50C range but the air coming from the radiator at the back of the PC is almost like a low speed hair dryer...

That alone and the perceived lack of airflow inside is why I'll pretty much never consider a gaming laptop.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 AM

21,928 posts, read 25,275,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Are you using the laptop for anything more than Flight Simulator? The challenge with laptops are the general lack of high powered discrete video cards, which MSFS needs.

For the price of a high end gaming laptop you could probably buy the equivalent desktop just for MSFS and a midrange laptop for other use.

But here’s a solid configuration for a gaming laptop.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/sh...7-d441468fdf67
Not so much anymore, in buying gaming desktop and an inexpensive laptop anymore. E.g., about as equivelant as you can get it:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/sh...e-f0e4f4a0d35c

$1400 for the desktop vs $1750 for the laptop. The desktop is faster, better processor, faster memory speeds but those don't matter so much with Intel as they do AMD. The main difference is the GPU. Those just aren't directly comparable. On the one hand, a desktop GTX 1660 Ti (which would bring the price down to $1300) is closest in performance to a RTX 2060 mobile and only very slightly slower. On the other hand, there's no Turing. DLSS 2.0 is actually useful even if Ray Tracing is totally worthless particularly on an RTX 2060.

You can buy a laptop for $350-450, yes, but that's a very entry level laptop. Of course, you could go cheaper. That's actually cheaper than the desktop, even the 1660 Ti and after adding another SSD for more storage. That's definitely not a high-end gaming laptop but probably more what the OP is looking for price-wise than some stupidly poor value $3,000 Razer laptop.
https://www.newegg.com/obsidian-blac...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 07-22-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
My i7 7700k desktop with 11GB 1080 Ti are both OCed to max stability and both CPU/GPU are liquid cooled. GPU at 100% load runs in the 40-50C range but the air coming from the radiator at the back of the PC is almost like a low speed hair dryer...

That alone and the perceived lack of airflow inside is why I'll pretty much never consider a gaming laptop.
Nice Rig man... Have to say there is nothing like a nice Gaming/Content creating rig heating up the home office in winter...

Would you ever make the jump to team Red and try AMD's 7nm AM4 socket Ryzen CPUs?

Old 07-22-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you - I will take a long, hard look at it. I'm afraid I don't know what VR capable means. Could you take a moment to enlighten this dinosaur?
I will be honest as some one who went with a Oculus Rift it is more of a novelty toy/gimmick then you get bored and put it away.

But then again you can always just Re-gift it over to the Kids and Grandkids to get rid of it LOL

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-22-2020 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 01:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,755,688 times
Quote:
I will be honest as some one who went with a Oculus Rift it is more of a novelty toy/gimmick then you get bored and put it away.

But then again you can always just Re-gift it over to the Kids and Grandkids to get rid of it LOL
Yeah, could see that happening.

A bit of trivia that I just ran across that I found interesting. Oculus Rift's CTO is (or was) John Carmack. Yep, the John Carmack of ID Software, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake fame. Interesting, too, that he's just a kid at 49, which surprised me given ID's success all those years ago. Then again, I was already an old man then by software industry standards.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:00 AM

16,576 posts, read 19,780,405 times
Quote:
This dude hasn't played Alyx.
Yes, I go through periods of not using my Rift. No question. But I ALWAYS come back to it.You're not going to use it all day every day. Too many other non VR games out there. But when a mega hit comes out that floors everyone and is universally praised, you'll be happy you have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57d59puP3fE

This game ALONE is worth the $400 for the Rift. Seriously. I have never been more immersed (or terrified) by a game before...

As a hardcore gamer, I have gamed on everything.
Laptops vs Desktops: I LOVED having a gaming laptop. But I was also going over a friends house to play Battlefield in person with him and another laptop gamers. Those were the days. But if you'e not going to move it off of your deks, there's no point. But if you do... even if it's too the back porch... it is worth the extra money.

Last edited by Peregrine; 07-23-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 10:08 AM

1,361 posts, read 555,823 times
Quote:
Nice Rig man... Have to say there is nothing like a nice Gaming/Content creating rig heating up the home office in winter...

Would you ever make the jump to team Red and try AMD's 7nm AM4 socket Ryzen CPUs?
I don't have anything against AMD and have used their CPUs on previous systems. When I built this one in April 2017 it was shortly before Ryzen was released and the jury was still out... so I went with the sure thing in the best gaming CPU available at the time in the i7 7700k.

No regrets... when paired with the 11GB 1080 Ti and 2x 960 Evo m.2 NVME SSD's I can honestly say my PC is still a beast 3 years later. The entire rig top to bottom with the Oculus Rift was right at $4500. I will definitely consider AMD for my next upgrade... although honestly I'm not sure when that will be. My rig is still plenty good enough for my needs.

Quote:
Yeah I've done that a few times... but I always come back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This dude hasn't played Alyx.
Yes, I go through periods of not using my Rift. No question. But I ALWAYS come back to it.You're not going to use it all day every day. Too many other non VR games out there. But when a mega hit comes out that floors everyone and is universally praised, you'll be happy you have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57d59puP3fE

This game ALONE is worth the $400 for the Rift. Seriously. I have never been more immersed (or terrified) by a game before...
Thank you for the tip! I'm gonna check that out tonight!

Old 07-23-2020, 10:12 AM

16,576 posts, read 19,780,405 times
Wait wait wait... you HAVE VR ... and haven't played Alyx yet??!?
OMG.... you're going to love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers